PDA

View Full Version : Gate Guards

ORAC
28th Aug 2002, 14:27
Just as a counterpoint to all the comments about gate guards:

The Times - August 28, 2002:

Empire honours its Kabul guards
From Dumeetha Luthra in Kabul

TO THE music of a lone bagpiper two Afghan retainers were honoured yesterday after being appointed MBEs for guarding the British Embassy in Afghanistan through decades of war and strife.
At a ceremony in the British compound in Kabul, Zahoor Shah and Sayed Afzal received their awards.

Over the years the guards have seen off the upheavals of the Soviet invasion, Mujahidin fighting and the Taleban regime. The embassy was often empty and it was left to the two to protect what was left.

Ron Nash, the British Ambassador, paid tribute to their courage. “There has been physical danger and war around you . . . and you have taken care of our possessions for so many years, where there was no British Ambassador and no British officials.” Even with the fall of the Taleban last year the two were still wary of letting people in. When British troops arrived in Kabul late last year they were not allowed through the gates. They were forced to call the High Commission in Pakistan to verify their credentials.

For their devotion they were paid regularly, even when the embassy was closed.

Mr Shah has worked for the embassy for 30 years as head of the household, and has all three of his sons working there. Despite the tumultuous times that the embassy has seen, the 57-year-old guard has fond memories of working there. “The British have been good to me. I have served them very faithfully and will continue to do so.”

Mr Afzal guarded the gates with equal fervour for 40 years. He said that he was honoured to be appointed MBE, and added: “I will work here until I am fired.”

canberra
28th Aug 2002, 18:47
and i used to complain about doing a weeks gate guard! they dont make people like that any more. mind you 100 years ago their ancestors were attacking british troops on the north west frontier

Talking Radalt
28th Aug 2002, 19:19
“The British have been good to me. I have served them very faithfully and will continue to do so.”

I take it he's not housed by DHE then?:p

and as for:
“I will work here until I am fired.”

Keep your voice down matey!:(

Bullseye Bandit
29th Aug 2002, 11:16
I take it he wasn't standing on the gate with an SA80 then........UNLESS he has a special one that apparentlly works!!!

MATZ
29th Aug 2002, 16:30
I have met these two. They are really nice chaps. There are lots of stories of how they fooled the Taliban and prevented the destruction of the "litlle bit of britain" in Kabul.

The best one I remember was when the taliban came knocking and they said that the British Embassy was on a street 1 mile away. Off trotted the bad guys, only to find the Italian Embassy 1 mile away. Back they came, shouted death threats at the caretakers, and set up camp outside the armoured main gate waiting for their prey. The chaps guarding the embassy were not worried, as they used the back gate!

They, among many of the Afghans I met were very friendly and extremely please that the British were helping sort out their countries problems. All they wanted was an end to fighting and a chance to have a normal life.

I am very glad they have been rewarded for their dedication.

MATZ :)

STANDTO
29th Aug 2002, 17:35
I thought this was a thread about plastic spitfires and hurricanes outside windy airfields

how sad is that?

Talking Radalt
29th Aug 2002, 17:58
"The best one I remember was when the taliban came knocking and they said that the British Embassy was on a street 1 mile away. Off trotted the bad guys, only to find the Italian Embassy 1 mile away"

This alone deserves a knighthood!;)