PDA

View Full Version : Defence Budget

sharpend
17th Nov 2022, 18:18
That very generous Chancellor has promised that defence spending will continue to be 2% of GDP. How kind. But what many fail to realise is that figures today made public show that GDP will reduce significantly over the next few years. So obviously a Sleath cut.

SOX80
17th Nov 2022, 18:28
We are in a recession, there is less money in the pot, anyone who though Defence was going to get a larger percentage of the smaller pot is as crazy as Liz Truss. Call it a stealth cut if you like, it is just reality.

Ninthace
17th Nov 2022, 18:29
Also depends on what you regard as defence spending, I believe the UK includes military pensions for example. Different countries have different rules with varying degrees of smoke and mirrors involved.

pr00ne
17th Nov 2022, 20:24
If you listen to what Hunt actually said, which was;
“both the Prime Minister and I see the need to increase defence spending, but we think it right to not agree the level of commitment until after the publication of the Integrated Review refresh. So I have asked that the refresh be complete ahead of the next budget.”

So, apart from me thinking that they had previously announced that the refresh would be complete before the end of the year, it seems that it could have been a lot worse.

And of course not doing anything till next Spring means that the retirement of Hercules and Tranche 1 Typhoon will still go ahead.

pr00ne
17th Nov 2022, 20:27
We are in a recession, there is less money in the pot, anyone who though Defence was going to get a larger percentage of the smaller pot is as crazy as Liz Truss. Call it a stealth cut if you like, it is just reality.

But that is exactly what he DID announce! Defence, along with Education and Health WILL get a larger percentage of the pot, just that the Defence increase will not be agreed until the IR refresh is complete.

HOVIS
17th Nov 2022, 20:29
I shouldn't worry, they can calculate GDP anyway they desire to suit their agenda.

pr00ne
17th Nov 2022, 20:31
I shouldn't worry, they can calculate GDP anyway they desire to suit their agenda.

No they can’t! GDP is monitored by the OBR and ONS to internationally agreed IMF standards.

HOVIS
17th Nov 2022, 20:43
No they can’t! GDP is monitored by the OBR and ONS to internationally agreed IMF standards.
Not only do no two countries calculate GDP the same way, no two governments in the same country use the same method. Its a con.

pr00ne
18th Nov 2022, 02:27
Not only do no two countries calculate GDP the same way, no two governments in the same country use the same method. Its a con.

Er, which country has two Governments?

rattman
18th Nov 2022, 05:34
Er, which country has two Governments?

assuming he means consecutive, but either way its rubbish, GDP definition doesn't change when government change in most western nations. It stays the same

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
18th Nov 2022, 06:14
Has the OBR ever been right about anything ?

NEO

Finningley Boy
18th Nov 2022, 06:41
I wasn't entirely confident that Liz and Kwase's proposed 3% was going to fly especially with all the wildfire tax cuts, I understand the philosophy of encouraging growth through tax relief. However, there is a reason for paying taxes, now we are where we are I think clinging to a Defence Budget of 2.5% (so I understand) will have to suffice unless things really do come apart over Ukraine,Taiwan, Iran etc.

FB

Asturias56
18th Nov 2022, 07:43
TBH the can has been kicked down the road - most of the "handouts" are now and most of he increases are after the next election so it'll probably be a Labour Govt by then.

The RN have managed to get two significant commitments in the last week - pity there is no news on more F-35's or more Infantry

Courtney Mil
18th Nov 2022, 11:24
Rattman,
“assuming he means consecutive, but either way its rubbish, GDP definition doesn't change when government change in most western nations. It stays the same”
They managed to change it to reduce the growth of Armed Forces pensions by moving the index linking from RPI to CPI. How we laughed with joy!

Akrotiri bad boy
18th Nov 2022, 12:18
The bottom line is NATO membership, if you drop below a certain percentage of GDP you're out. I think it was Trump who stated that pensions shouldn't count, the budget should be spent on hardware with pensions on top. I'm sure he made this statement during his European drawdown season.

Asturias56
18th Nov 2022, 14:17
"The bottom line is NATO membership, if you drop below a certain percentage of GDP you're out."

has anyone ever been expelled on budgetary grounds?

happydolphins
21st Nov 2022, 03:02