PDA

View Full Version : Chocks away! Airfix’s Spitfire takes to the skies again.

India Four Two
17th Nov 2022, 05:44
Lovely article in the Grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/nov/15/chocks-away-airfixs-spitfire-takes-to-the-skies-again

jolihokistix
17th Nov 2022, 06:06
Nothing to do with the price of fish but we were having a debate this morning on how to pronounce Grauniad.

As I was looking on the net for various conflicting answers, I discovered that people cannot even agree on how to pronounce the word ‘Guardian’.

Warning. Vaguely on-topic. Funny, slightly baffling article, India Four Two.
Yesterday at an antiques stall I found a plastic kit model of a Zero fighter, which I very nearly bought.

India Four Two
17th Nov 2022, 06:19
I always thought Grauniad was just a Private Eye joke, but I see it's a dig at the frequent typos in the Guardian, back in the days of hot type.

I was stunned by the prices! When I first started buying 1/72 Airfix kits in the stapled plastic bags at Woolies, I think the price was 1/11d (9.6p).

Flying Binghi
17th Nov 2022, 07:00
Lovely article in the Grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/nov/15/chocks-away-airfixs-spitfire-takes-to-the-skies-again

As a kid growing up in Darwin Australia I glued together one of them Spitfires. Proudly showed it to an old timer living next door and got told why did I waste my time making one of them crappy things. Apparently during WW2 there were some Spitfires defending Darwin from air attack and the they proved to be fairly useless..:ooh:

My later reading on the subject showed them Spitfires weren’t that bad, certainly kept the bombers up high and aimless, though they certainly proved that 20mm cannons and ‘big wings’ at high altitude were not the ‘answer’.

chevvron
17th Nov 2022, 07:59
I always thought Grauniad was just a Private Eye joke, but I see it's a dig at the frequent typos in the Guardian, back in the days of hot type.

I was stunned by the prices! When I first started buying 1/72 Airfix kits in the stapled plastic bags at Woolies, I think the price was 1/11d (9.6p).
I remember Grauniad as the title used by Spike Milligan in his 1960s/'70s tv shows
Not only Airfiix made 1/72 Spitfires; I had several of different makes eg Frog, Revell (not sure but I think Monogram may have made one too) plus Airfiix made at least two different marks.

reynoldsno1
17th Nov 2022, 08:41

The kit in question is a 1/24 scale model.

bobward
17th Nov 2022, 15:31
This is a brand-new kit of the Spitfire 9. The original 1/24 kit was a Battle of Britain Mk 1 which came out in the early 1970's. The new kit is a CAD kit, with amazing detail.
Is it worth the price? That's up to the modellers although Airfix will have done their research to see if the market is there. In fact I think they did a survey to ask modellers
what they wanted, and this one came out on top.

Just for the people who might read the Grauniad. 1/72 means that one inch (or centimetre) on the model is equal to 72 such units on the real thing.
Sorry Grandma......

Flying Binghi
17th Nov 2022, 18:21
This is a brand-new kit of the Spitfire 9. The original 1/24 kit was a Battle of Britain Mk 1 which came out in the early 1970's. The new kit is a CAD kit, with amazing detail.
Is it worth the price? That's up to the modellers although Airfix will have done their research to see if the market is there. In fact I think they did a survey to ask modellers
what they wanted, and this one came out on top.

Just for the people who might read the Grauniad. 1/72 means that one inch (or centimetre) on the model is equal to 72 such units on the real thing.
Sorry Grandma......

When discussing a Spitfire I would have thought one only talks in inch’s. No poofy French terms are to be used..;)

meleagertoo
17th Nov 2022, 18:55
I was never aware that the cost of an Airfix kit was calculated by the scale of the kit times the cost of a real one...

What an utterly outrageous price! It might be reasonable at a tenth of that!

terrain safe
17th Nov 2022, 20:44
I was never aware that the cost of an Airfix kit was calculated by the scale of the kit times the cost of a real one...

It builds into a kit that is 40cm long by 47cm wide (or 15.75 inches by 18.5 inches) and has 433 pieces. It will take weeks to build properly. Compared to many other companies this kit is an absolute bargain. Have a look at the website. Airfix is here. (https://uk.airfix.com/products/supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-free-a2-poster-bundlea16)
A Spitfire Mk1a in 72nd scale is £8.99. Remember the 1:24 scale kit is 27 times bigger. (by volume)

tdracer
17th Nov 2022, 22:01

Having occasionally bought plastic model kits, for something that size (and presumable very good detail), a price around 100 pounds is about right (I have a whole shelf of 1/12 scale Mercury capsule kits - they went for about $60 each - and they are quite a bit smaller). I'm seeing that Spit kit for sale on this side of the pond for about $120 (it shows a retail of $160 but nobody who knows what they are doing pays retail when buying on-line). My favorite on-line hobby store for plastic models says $114, but it's not in stock.

BEagle
17th Nov 2022, 22:20
Well, a 2/- Airfix kit of the late '50s works out at £1.84 in today's prices....??

jolihokistix
18th Nov 2022, 03:02
It does look pretty good, size and quality-wise, and what’s £100 nowadays? Two meals out, or ten pints of beer? Give me the model anytime.

OvertHawk
18th Nov 2022, 08:22

Then don't buy it! :ugh:

chevvron
18th Nov 2022, 09:43
Well, a 2/- Airfix kit of the late '50s works out at £1.84 in today's prices....??
The 2 bob Airfix in bags was preceded by pre and post war Frog kits of varying prices, then in the early '60s Frog started issuing a new range of kits for half a crown, then the Labour government came to power and the cost of Airfixs' suddenly became 2s3d and so on.

DuncanDoenitz
18th Nov 2022, 12:19
........ then the Labour government came to power and the cost of Airfixs' suddenly became 2s3d and so on.

TSR-2, P1154, and then this; was there no limit to their mismanagement of the Nation's aerospace sector?

uxb99
18th Nov 2022, 13:04
£95 quid for a new tool 1/24th scale model is pretty reasonable in the grand scheme of things.
What will £95 buy you these days?

Almost a tyre for the car.
Nearly a tank of diesel.
Six male haircuts.
Four litres of Jack Daniels.
One quarter of a decent seat at the O2 to see Queen.
40 pints at a Weatherspoon
Two tickets to a Duxford air show.
8 bottles of decent (ish) wine.

I think the Spit is not bad value at all.

Pypard
18th Nov 2022, 16:31
Hard to believe some comments here regarding cost (or "pricepoint" as BS-ridden management types say). Airfix is currently on a roll with a superlative Anson in 1/48 scale (at £40-odd) and the 1/24 Typhoon pretty much saved their bacon I recall.

To the point. A 1/24 scale Spitfire at less than £100 is extremely good value. You can easily spend twice that on a 1/32 scale kit. The days of six kits for tuppence and enough left for the bus ride home never existed. Airfix will do very well from this and allied to their new type of plastic (which allows for crisper detail), it looks like it will be an instant classic and will serve them well for a long time.

It's also worth noting that Kotare's long-awaited (and likely superlative) Spitfire kit is going to cost more than the Airfix kit, despite being to smaller 1/32 scale.

Anyway I'm off back to my 1/24 race car kits. They cost £150+ but I'm happy with that. Because if I don't like it I don't buy. But I wouldn't whinge about it.

staircase
20th Nov 2022, 11:00
As a builder of model (wooden) boat kits, if I could get one anyway worth having for that price, I would be very happy indeed.
A second point, having listened to the politics shows for the last week, is that £100 for the Spitfire kit is going to seem cheap a year or two from now!

draglift
25th Nov 2022, 18:19
I saw a programme on TV about Hornby Airfix Scalextrix etc. They said the traditional Spitfire kits produced in the 1960s had about 60 parts. Now they only have thirty or so as the average modern kid does not have the patience to build in the way that kids in the 1960s did and modern kids want quicker results. I remember the fun of building and trying to get the prop and the wheels to turn and trying to avoid getting glue on the canopy. I am not talking about this new 1/24th kit but the standard 1/72 kit that now has some pieces that click together and do not have to be glued.

bafanguy
26th Nov 2022, 11:58
Will those of you who build this kit be showing pix of the finished project ?

Warmtoast
27th Nov 2022, 15:16
Airfix kits are currently on offer from Aldi. See this page from Aldi's current sales leaflet.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1920x2000/image2_ca4740ac563a4b98a48f2dea2de76efba4cc14d4.jpg

Load Toad
28th Nov 2022, 12:10
Some people here need to get a grip - inflation people - twenty quid in 1975 is GBP161 today. IIRC 1/24th Scale cost about 15 - 20 odd quid when I was a kid (and was a once a year present at best). This idea of 'pocket money kits' is a bit deluded - what scale, what quality, what year...? Some of the cheap kits in Series 1 in the early Seventies were very basic with poor fit and little detail - not much like the kits of today.
'Pocket Money' kits is often a claim from people who don't realise how affluent they or their close relatives were.

BEagle
28th Nov 2022, 14:44
Whereas a brand new MGB cost £1312 in 1973 - but you can't buy anything remotely like it for £13033 today! Similarly, a house which cost £36000 in 1983 cannot be bought today for £111824.

Inflationary price increases aren't always that straightforward!

Discorde
28th Nov 2022, 15:13
In the 1950s one kit maker (can't remember which) offered 1/72 kits of the Bristol Britannia and the DC-7 for 17/6 (seventeen shillings and sixpence), equivalent to approx £20 in today's devalued currency. Way beyond the pocket of most modellers in those days. IIRC these kits both included BOAC decals.

BEagle
28th Nov 2022, 16:11
It was FROG and in 1/96th scale. As well as the DC-7C and Britannia, he other BOAC models they did at the time in the same scale were the Comet 4 and Boeing 707.

17/6 in 1955 would be £18.18 today....

treadigraph
28th Nov 2022, 16:45
It was FROG and in 1/96th scale. As well as the DC-7C and Britannia, he other BOAC models they did at the time in the same scale were the Comet 4 and Boeing 707.

Or if you want to relive your childhood... £125 - £150!

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/frog-aircraft-1-96-350p-bristol-britannia-boac
https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/frog-aircraft-1-96-351p-boac-dc-7c-airliner
https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/frog-aircraft-1-96-356p-boac-comet-4-jetliner
https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/frog-airliners-1-144-f140-the-boac-vickers-super-vc10

They haven't got the 707 but they do have a Caravelle. I recall my local bits'n'bobs shop sold Frog 1/72 kits rebadged as Novo for really silly money during a clearance sale when I was about 10, 20p each or something. I bought a few... wish I still had them unmade!

chevvron
28th Nov 2022, 17:48

I remember the Frog Vulcan B1 and Victor B1 bombers in 1/96th but not the Valiant which I somehow never bought and I don't recall the airliners at all.
I also remember Chris Trace on Blue Peter with a 1/72 Gannet kit which he fitted with an electric motor for RTP; he actually got it to work!

chevvron
28th Nov 2022, 17:53
They haven't got the 707 but they do have a Caravelle. I recall my local bits'n'bobs shop sold Frog 1/72 kits rebadged as Novo for really silly money during a clearance sale when I was about 10, 20p each or something. I bought a few... wish I still had them unmade!
I think the Novo kits were on sale in about 1972; I was training at Glasgow at the time and I remember one of my companions discovering a shop there which sold them.
Somewhere in my loft I have an unmade Airfix Chipmunk and Sea King and an unmade Italeri Airspeed Horsa in 1/72nd.

uxb99
28th Nov 2022, 19:10
Some people here need to get a grip - inflation people - twenty quid in 1975 is GBP161 today. IIRC 1/24th Scale cost about 15 - 20 odd quid when I was a kid (and was a once a year present at best). This idea of 'pocket money kits' is a bit deluded - what scale, what quality, what year...? Some of the cheap kits in Series 1 in the early Seventies were very basic with poor fit and little detail - not much like the kits of today.
'Pocket Money' kits is often a claim from people who don't realise how affluent they or their close relatives were.

Absolutely. I only ever received the 1/24th kits as Christmas presents. I got the 109 and Spitfire. They must have been expensive.

uxb99
28th Nov 2022, 19:12
Will those of you who build this kit be showing pix of the finished project ?
Be happy to but as the lead time on my stash is about 100 years don't hold your breath.

tdracer
28th Nov 2022, 21:14
Also remember that plastic model building is much less common than it was in the 1950-60s. When I was a kid, almost all the other boys I knew built them, and seemingly every store sold plastic model kits (even the local drug store) - now days you seldom see them in anything other than a dedicated hobby shop (and at least around here, those are few and far between :{). Most of today's kids are far more interested in video games and the like than they are in building something with their hands. So despite the soaring population, the market for plastic model kits is much smaller - with young kids a small portion of that smaller market. Much of the interest now days is among adults - who are also looking for much better quality and detail than the 10-year-old who bought a simple to assemble kit 60 years ago.
More expensive to create and produce - with a smaller potential market means Airfix, etc. need to charge more for the end product to make a profit.

DHfan
29th Nov 2022, 01:24
When Tri-ang went broke in the early 70s a good number of the FROG moulds were sold to Russia and marketed as Novo.

I've still got a couple of boxed DH Hornets I paid 30p each for, the price stickers are still on the boxes.
Later they were more common in plastic bags with poor instructions and equally poor or missing decals. I think there are a few of those stashed away in a cupboard too.

Load Toad
29th Nov 2022, 13:40
Also remember that plastic model building is much less common than it was in the 1950-60s. When I was a kid, almost all the other boys I knew built them, and seemingly every store sold plastic model kits (even the local drug store) - now days you seldom see them in anything other than a dedicated hobby shop (and at least around here, those are few and far between :{). Most of today's kids are far more interested in video games and the like than they are in building something with their hands. So despite the soaring population, the market for plastic model kits is much smaller - with young kids a small portion of that smaller market. Much of the interest now days is among adults - who are also looking for much better quality and detail than the 10-year-old who bought a simple to assemble kit 60 years ago.
More expensive to create and produce - with a smaller potential market means Airfix, etc. need to charge more for the end product to make a profit.

That's a very good point - when I first made kits the main aim was to build something I could use in pretend dog fights and other battles - hardly any detail lasted more than a few combats - they were very much toys.

The stuff now is often quite incredible in detail before people do after market stuff

VictorGolf
30th Nov 2022, 12:04
I was much cheered when I asked my 14 year old grandson what he wanted for Christmas and he replied he'd like some money for a kit he's buying. I thought perhaps he'd seen the Spitfire but oh no it's an add-on for his (non-aviation) video gaming. Still at least he's building/assembling something, which is good news.

134brat
1st Dec 2022, 20:58
PLASMO

Anyone with an interest in plastic modelling at it's very best should have a look at the work of PLASMO on You Tube. This guy does time lapse video of his builds and has a cheery commentary explaining what he is doing, it's The Potters Wheel for the 21st century, enjoyable to watch and his final results are outstanding.

Brewster Buffalo
2nd Dec 2022, 13:56
For those put off by the price of the kit but like Spitfires Airfix produce a 1,000 piece jigsaw of one for just £13.99.

POBJOY
2nd Dec 2022, 20:09
When Tri-ang went broke in the early 70s a good number of the FROG moulds were sold to Russia and marketed as Novo.

I've still got a couple of boxed DH Hornets I paid 30p each for, the price stickers are still on the boxes.
Later they were more common in plastic bags with poor instructions and equally poor or missing decals. I think there are a few of those stashed away in a cupboard too.

I indeed remember some Frog kits because they made quite a good 1/72 Hurricane which actually had a retracting u/cart. It looked better on a stand rather than its wheels due to the inability of the system to go forward during the deployment. Nowadays some keen chaps would mod the kit so it looked ok wheels down, but I seem to remember the overall quality was good and it came in a box rather than a plastic bag (all mid 60's) may even had a sliding hood. Decades later Airfix produce an excellent large scale Hurricane which had good detail.

bafanguy
2nd Dec 2022, 21:58
The guy on PLASMO has some extraordinary detail and craftsmanship.

Sue Vêtements
18th Dec 2022, 23:44
Just for the people who might read the Grauniad. 1/72 means that one inch (or centimetre) on the model is equal to 72 such units on the real thing

or to put it another way, the pilot standing next to the Spitfire would be just over an inch tall (with a moustache about 3/16 of an inch wide)

. . . and had it been a Bf109, then the pilot would have been a little under an inch tall

BEagle
19th Dec 2022, 15:34
Ah yes, 'The Potter's Wheel'! Happy memories of those '50s BBC TV Interlude films:

https://youtu.be/jUzGF401vLc

405-line B&W - and only 2 channels!

DHfan
19th Dec 2022, 15:48
2 channels? Only one until 1955/56 or so.
We had a strange valve gizmo to pick up ITV sat on top of our massive TV with a minute screen.

BEagle
19th Dec 2022, 16:09
You're quite correct. ITV started in 1955, but down Zum'zett way it didn't come on air until 1958 when TWW started. Our old 9" Bush was Band 1 fixed frequency, without the 'Band Converter' which facilitated ITV reception on Band 3. So my father upgraded to a secondhand Peto-Scott. BBC1 on Channel 5 and TWW on Channel 10. Then in 1961 came Westward TV on Channel 9, but the chap who came to fit the crystals put the wrong one in, so we briefly had Westward picture and TWW sound!

It all seems so dreadfully primitive now - the attractions of Airfix, Frog, Revell, Aurora and Lindberg were much more interesting!!

bafanguy
28th Dec 2022, 21:21
I was watching the BBC news this morning. They had a segment on Airfix and the model mentioned in the original post in this thread. I was a bit surprised that model making got attention in such an august news venue. Kinda nice.

tdracer
29th Dec 2022, 18:36
Well, I just broke down and ordered one today. Wanted to get it from a local hobby shop (handy to have them stay in business - my favorite closed right before the pandemic - allegedly because they 'lost their lease' - need to keep this place going so I have somewhere to get things on short notice), but they didn't know if or when they'd ever get one in stock.

tdracer
5th Jan 2023, 17:22
Well, I just broke down and ordered one today. Wanted to get it from a local hobby shop (handy to have them stay in business - my favorite closed right before the pandemic - allegedly because they 'lost their lease' - need to keep this place going so I have somewhere to get things on short notice), but they didn't know if or when they'd ever get one in stock.

Yea! It showed up yesterday. Opened up the box and took a quick look - appears to be very good quality parts, and it includes a full color panel showing the exterior paint scheme, decal placement, etc. Nice touch.
However it seems to have a highly detailed cockpit and engine (I'm assuming access panels to show the engine are readily removable) - but zero information on what the original looked like. I'm pretty anal about getting scale details correct - particularly paint (a few years ago, when Estes Industries was getting their 50 Anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing Saturn V kit ready, they actually came to me to ask some questions about the exterior features of the second stage - which I readily knew :E).
Anyway, anyone know a good resource for color pictures of the Spitfire cockpit and Rolls engine that I can reference?

Brewster Buffalo
5th Jan 2023, 17:34
This might help - saw it for sale in WH Smiths today.

Building the Airfix Spitfire (https://shop.keypublishing.com/products/step-by-step-spitfire)

tdracer
5th Jan 2023, 18:02

Building the Airfix Spitfire (https://shop.keypublishing.com/products/step-by-step-spitfire)
Thanks Brewster - I just ordered it.
Granted, I'm paying nearly as much shipping as for the magazine, but what the heck :p I'm never sure if this anal obsession with proper scale details on my models is a blessing or a curse. On the plus side it helped me meet a number of astronauts and space dignitaries - like this guy:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x540/image_828bb56cb907af00c319b98c0dd7c5f40545dbc5.png

tdracer
20th Jan 2023, 18:25

OK, this sucks. I ordered a copy off that website - but they sent me the wrong issue and have not responded to emails asking for them to correct that (anyone interested in how to build dioramas?).
:mad: