PDA

View Full Version : Differences in UK ATC and EU ATC

Jklopp1980
16th Nov 2022, 14:57
Hi. I am wondering if any of you know the differences in rules in ATC in the UK and ATC in other EU countries? Mainly looking for the differences in the MATS 1? Any guidance on different procedures/laws used in the UK would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Gonzo
16th Nov 2022, 18:49
Hi. I am wondering if any of you know the differences in rules in ATC in the UK and ATC in other EU countries? Mainly looking for the differences in the MATS 1? Any guidance on different procedures/laws used in the UK would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Is there any specific area you’re interested in?

You’re basically looking at the difference between MATS Part 1 and ICAO Doc 4444, although within Europe there are differences in how 4444 is applied.

Jklopp1980
16th Nov 2022, 20:47
I'm working in Belgium at the moment and I've been offered a position within the UK. They asked how our MATS1 differ. I'm ADI rated. So anything at all would help! Thanks

whowhenwhy
17th Nov 2022, 08:35
Given their use of terminology, it looks like that UK ANSP has demonstrated an unfortunately poor understanding of the situation.

In the EU, Part-ATS has essentially transposed PANS-ATM into rule, AMC and GM. Those rules sit alongside those in SERA to create a ruleset for ATS provision. EU ANSPs will then develop a manual of ATS (that won't be referred to as a MATS Part 1) to put that ruleset into an operational context. Importantly, most EU countries will have one State run ANSP so have one manual which will be supplemented by local instructions at each ATS unit.

In the UK, we do not have the same content in Part-ATS as the EU; we left the EU before they came into effect. Our operational ATS provisions are contained within our MATS Part 1 (CAP 493) which is published by the CAA and is complemented by local unit instructions contained in a MATS Part 2.

As a general statement, our MATS Part 1 provisions are aligned with PANS-ATM but there are some differences. Notably in how we provide services in class G airspace. In controlled airspace, they're about 98% identical.

Does that help?

mike current
17th Nov 2022, 14:08
I'm working in Belgium at the moment and I've been offered a position within the UK. They asked how our MATS1 differ. I'm ADI rated. So anything at all would help! Thanks

I'd stay in Europe if I were you...

Atcham Tower
22nd Nov 2022, 11:02
Try this link in the UK AIP, it may help. Scroll down for the ATC-related content.

https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2022-11-03-AIRAC/html/index-en-GB.html