PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of control APP to TWR

Nikolas
15th Nov 2022, 07:55
When does the transfer of control take place from approach to tower in your country?

Dan Dare
15th Nov 2022, 11:50
I don't think you are likely to get a meaningful countrywide answer to that question.

Most airports in the UK are likely to be at 4nm at larger commercial airports or on transfer of communication for smaller airports.

chevvron
15th Nov 2022, 15:42
Depends entirely on what is written in your own local instructions.
With some types of approach, you can transfer as soon as the pilot reports he has the airfield in sight and can continue visually whereas sometimes with a precision approach, the talkdown controller transfers the aircraft to tower when it is on rollout and vacating the runway.

Mooncrest
15th Nov 2022, 16:39
Leeds Bradford - EGNM - I would estimate about 7 or 8 mile final. That's roughly overhead Bolton Abbey for RW14!

10 DME ARC
15th Nov 2022, 17:16
As above the transfer of control depends on the type of approach. Most of the places I have worked it was 4nm CAT1 or better, CAT2 or lower it was on the runway. Just for reference the transfer of COMMS does not always mean transfer of control.:)

terrain safe
15th Nov 2022, 18:40
Mats 1 says

5A. Aerodrome Control 5A.1 IFR flights operating with visual reference to the surface may be transferred by Approach Control to Aerodrome Control in the following circumstances:
(1) When an aircraft carrying out an instrument approach has become ‘number 1 to land’, and for following aircraft when they are established on final approach and have been provided with the appropriate separation from preceding aircraft;
(2) Aircraft operating in the traffic circuit;
(3) Aircraft approaching visually below all cloud when the reported aerodrome visibility is 10 km or more. When the reported visibility consists of two values, the lower of the two values shall be used when determining whether an aircraft may be transferred to Aerodrome Control.

5A.3 In the case of 2 and 3 the volume of traffic and Aerodrome Control workload must be such as to allow the use of one of the reduced separations permitted in the vicinity of aerodromes. In order to clear other aircraft to descend through the cloud formation it will be necessary for the aircraft approaching underneath to be kept more than 1000 feet below all cloud, or for horizontal separation to be provided.

Gonzo
16th Nov 2022, 10:18
OP, Do you mean transfer of control, or transfer of communication, because they are two very different things, as 10 DME ARC says.

Nikolas
22nd Nov 2022, 06:09
Hi and thank you for your answers, I am talking about transfer of control. I am aware that it is usually written in a LOA. I am trying to see how it is done differently around the world as we need to change our procedures and it would be good to see how it is done elsewhere and why.