PDA

View Full Version : Longer threads; access problem

sealo0
13th Nov 2022, 20:12
Sorry I can’t open F1 ~ to many redirects any ideas?

using IPad on Chrome

mike

Saab Dastard
13th Nov 2022, 20:15
Just noticed it myself - if you open the thread from the start you can get to the last page, but trying to go to last page, last post or first unread post using shortcuts don't work. Bizarre.
SD

tdracer
13th Nov 2022, 21:06
I have that problem yesterday. Closing my browser and re-opening apparently solved it.

YMMV...

jimjim1
14th Nov 2022, 01:44
I guess it's probably full, this link goes to todays last page.

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/471034-formula-1-a-559.html

(559) is the last page at present, although it thinks there are 604 in usual pprunish fashion.

If I try to "go to page" too far beyond 559 I get the "Too many redirects" error.

jolihokistix
14th Nov 2022, 02:59
Used to get this a lot, but the ‘refresh page’ button would override it. The old problem has just returned (a Red Bull hack?), but my old work-around doesn’t work any more. :{

Winemaker
14th Nov 2022, 04:07
Sorry to bother you, but when I try and log onto the current F1 thread I get this message:

The page isn’t redirecting properly
An error occurred during a connection to www.pprune.org.
This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

Previous page posting appear as usual but I'm unable to get to the current postings page. All other PPrune threads work as normal. Seems odd.

NutLoose
14th Nov 2022, 15:12
Me too Winemaker, same issue

ericlday
14th Nov 2022, 17:39
And the same for me.....

Senior Pilot
14th Nov 2022, 17:47
I have reported this to IB, and see that they have been online checking, so I hope some action may be taken soon by IB Tech on this and on the YouTube links 👍

sealo0
14th Nov 2022, 18:01
If the problem is getting to 600 or so pages could we just make it Formula1 - 2 seems to work with Luton -10

Mike

IBMJunkman
14th Nov 2022, 20:14
Have redirect problem in F1 thread using Safari, Chrome and Firefox on iPad iOS 16.1.1

sealo0
15th Nov 2022, 05:23
Thanks seems to be working again

Mike

ericlday
15th Nov 2022, 07:33
Still a problem for me.....

Andy_S
15th Nov 2022, 07:35
It's working OK for me.

EDIT. No it's not! Accessed it no problem about 30 minutes ago, but it's gone wrong again. Appears to be the same problem as before.

sealo0
15th Nov 2022, 07:37
Stopped working again to many redirects,, spoke too soon

back to the drawing board

mike

treadigraph
15th Nov 2022, 08:59
There has been an on and off problem for some years with various larger threads where I think a lot of posts have been necessarily deleted by moderation and spurious page counts then ensue? My Android seems to have more probs than my laptop when such problems arise. Would it not be sensible to have a new F1 thread to cover each season?

Edit: ah, I see somebody has already hived off F1 2022 as a separate thread! :ok:

Senior Pilot
15th Nov 2022, 10:00
There has been an on and off problem for some years with various larger threads where I think a lot of posts have been necessarily deleted by moderation and spurious page counts then ensue? My Android seems to have more probs than my laptop when such problems arise. Would it not be sensible to have a new F1 thread to cover each season?

Edit: ah, I see somebody has already hived off F1 2022 as a separate thread! :ok:

After such a good suggestion, I just spent a spare half hour moving hundreds of posts into a new thread, https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/649836-formula-1-season-2022-a.html

Come the end of discussion on this season, it's up to one of you to start a new thread sometime next January or February, please 👍

treadigraph
15th Nov 2022, 12:19
About once every decade I come up with a good idea... :} That's it then till around 2030...

Cheers SP!

jolihokistix
16th Nov 2022, 00:15
Agreed. Cheers and thanks to SP. 🙏

Cornish Jack
30th Nov 2022, 10:55
Something odd going on !
The last post accessible to me is from Mr Mac- #2560 (edited on the 27th.)
The 'Last Post' listing for this thread shows that it was from Peter Blue on the 29th, but that is not showing up. Any thoughts as to what is happening ?

MechEngr
30th Nov 2022, 14:43
I see new posts in the "New Posts" list but when I go there it's truncated to Nov 19th. I see the same thing on 2 different computers. Other forums seem OK, though no exhaustive search has been tried.

Edit - thanks for title edit - also, more detail - stuck on page 201 and the "goto" button indicates 4000 messages. I know I saw a post with a cartoon about voter vs. lobbyists that was after the current cut-off for me, but I don't know the current status

I have pprune.org, onetrust.com, and cookielaw.org enabled for javascript for this site.

ATNotts
30th Nov 2022, 15:56
Something odd going on !
The 'Last Post' listing for this thread shows that it was from Peter Blue on the 29th, but that is not showing up. Any thoughts as to what is happening ?
Same happened for me, both on Android phone and Windows PC.

Confusious
30th Nov 2022, 16:03
All good here on Android. Try clearing your browser history and cookies.

Krystal n chips
30th Nov 2022, 16:14
Something odd going on !

Yep, same here. Posted earlier and it didn't show....posted again, same topic, Del boy " enjoying the full confidence " etc, and it appeared....as did the first one, now deleted...with the chaps welfare in mind of course.

golfbananajam
30th Nov 2022, 16:14
I've just had the same on the F1 thread, last post available was a month ago yet the last post seems to have been today.

Ninthace
30th Nov 2022, 16:35
All good here on Android. Try clearing your browser history and cookies.
I had same problem on iPad/Safari, Windows 10/Chrome and Firefox. All cookies were confirmed cleared and history deleted in every case. It made not a happorth of difference.

Saab Dastard
30th Nov 2022, 17:31
I think this is a frequent error with long threads - the F1 (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/649836-formula-1-season-2022-a.html) thread has the same problem for me at the moment, as well as the US Politics Hamsterwheel V4.0 thread

What's weird is that it affects some people and not others. You can see and read the later posts if you Reply to the thread, without having to actually post a reply. It usually sorts itself out after a day or 2

Senior Pilot
30th Nov 2022, 18:34
Same issue for me on multiple threads, reported to IB.

Flugzeug A
30th Nov 2022, 18:49
Me too.
Last post I can read is 19th of November.

PeterBlue
30th Nov 2022, 18:56
I had same problem on iPad/Safari, Windows 10/Chrome and Firefox. All cookies were confirmed cleared and history deleted in every case. It made not a happorth of difference.

It's apparently a software problem affecting multiple threads - see here (https://www.pprune.org/pprune-problems-queries/650092-us-politics-hamsterwheel-v4-0-thread-jetblast-stuck.html). Smells like a software change gone wrong. Appears to be fixed now.

IBJoel
30th Nov 2022, 19:07
Same issue for me. I'm making a tech ticket

IBJoel
30th Nov 2022, 20:47
Should be fixed now, although may require clearing your cache/logging out

Blues&twos
1st Dec 2022, 06:16
Slightly different problem for me with the F1 2022 thread. Maybe related to previous problems?

Although I can see that someone has posted a new reply to the thread, when I open it, only posts up to 17th October (post 880) are displayed.

Does anyone else have similar problems?

All other sub-forums and threads are working normally for me.

Senior Pilot
1st Dec 2022, 07:20
Slightly different problem for me with the F1 2022 thread. Maybe related to previous problems?

Although I can see that someone has posted a new reply to the thread, when I open it, only posts up to 17th October (post 880) are displayed.

Does anyone else have similar problems?

All other sub-forums and threads are working normally for me.
Already discussed and fixed https://www.pprune.org/pprune-problems-queries/650092-us-politics-hamsterwheel-v4-0-thread-jetblast-stuck.html

Note the last post; log out, clear cache, etc 👍

Blues&twos
1st Dec 2022, 11:23
Thanks Senior Pilot.

I have tried clearing my cache/logging out/clearing browsing history etc, as suggested several times.
Also posted a test post to the F1 thread, but although my post is indicated as the most recent addition, I can still only see up to Oct 17th, post 880 when I log back in to the site.
I'll try again later from my desktop PC, I'm currently doing all this from my mobile. Fingers crossed.

treadigraph
1st Dec 2022, 12:57
Same as Blues&Twos, logged out on Android and cleared cache ("PPRUNE seems to be important to you are you sure?" :8 or something likd that) still same problem with F1 thread; away from laptop at mo, will try clearing cache on that if I remember when I get home late tonight! Strange, thought it had worked very well... Also try a reboot with this thing...

Edit: reboot made no difference, sometimes a sortaouta of problems!

golfbananajam
1st Dec 2022, 14:51
Already discussed and fixed https://www.pprune.org/pprune-problems-queries/650092-us-politics-hamsterwheel-v4-0-thread-jetblast-stuck.html

Note the last post; log out, clear cache, etc 👍

Sadly this hasn't worked for me.

Geordie_Expat
1st Dec 2022, 15:01
I'm having the same problem.

Senior Pilot
1st Dec 2022, 16:37
I’ve reported this again to IB, I have the same issue 🙊

Expatrick
2nd Dec 2022, 09:42
Friday jokes thread seems to have gone the same way.

IBJoel
2nd Dec 2022, 19:46
I found that changing my posts per page here: https://www.pprune.org/profile.php?do=editoptions (save at the bottom of the page)
Allowed me to see all posts

treadigraph
2nd Dec 2022, 19:53
Ah, that worked for me IBJoel... :ok:

Edit: worked on jokes thread but not on F1... :uhoh:

IBJoel
2nd Dec 2022, 20:54
I'm going to guess that the Formula 1 thread has just become too large and unwieldy for the database, especially with all the deleted posts, but we're still looking at it

Saab Dastard
2nd Dec 2022, 22:03
I'm going to guess that the Formula 1 thread has just become too large and unwieldy for the database, especially with all the deleted posts, but we're still looking at it
I would guess again if I were you - that thread is tiny in comparison with many.

IBJoel
2nd Dec 2022, 22:47
I would guess again if I were you - that thread is tiny in comparison with many.

Absolute length is not the only factor in causing issues like that

Senior Pilot
3rd Dec 2022, 02:45
See my post 17; I hived off the 2022 posts onto a new thread and both the original and the new thread were fine until the past couple of days, now the earlier thread is ‘stuck’ at page 517: https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/471034-formula-1-a-517.html. Not fixed with the change of posts per page.

The Friday Jokes thread https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/627806-friday-jokes-part-2-a.html has only 30 pages and about 580 posts, but the last page consistently will not show. Plenty of deleted posts but another example for our Techs to look at, please, and has been fixed with the suggested change of posts per page 👍

WB627
3rd Dec 2022, 13:34
See my post 17; I hived off the 2022 posts onto a new thread and both the original and the new thread were fine until the past couple of days, now the earlier thread is ‘stuck’ at page 517: https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/471034-formula-1-a-517.html. Not fixed with the change of posts per page.

The Friday Jokes thread https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/627806-friday-jokes-part-2-a.html has only 30 pages and about 580 posts, but the last page consistently will not show. Plenty of deleted posts but another example for our Techs to look at, please, and has been fixed with the suggested change of posts per page 👍

I tried the change of posts per page (used 20) and it has had no effect on Friday Jokes. Was 20 the right number to use?

Appreciate all your work to get this and other issues sorted out :ok:

Senior Pilot
4th Dec 2022, 03:29
I tried the change of posts per page (used 20) and it has had no effect on Friday Jokes. Was 20 the right number to use?

Appreciate all your work to get this and other issues sorted out :ok:
20 is the default: both 30 and 40 work for me. Sorry the previous post wasn’t more specific.

ea200
29th Mar 2023, 09:19
Although the last page on this thread is 792 you always end up with page 788 when pressing 'last page'. You can scroll to the end but it's a long way. Can also press 'next page' several times which works. Same logged on or not but if logged on can use the direct to page feature provided you know what the last page is. Not seen this on any other thread.

treadigraph
29th Mar 2023, 19:04
Try setting "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" to 40 - cured page problems in other threads for me...

https://www.pprune.org/profile.php?do=editoptions

ea200
30th Mar 2023, 09:51
Although the last page on this thread is 792 you always end up with page 788 when pressing 'last page'. You can scroll to the end but it's a long way. Can also press 'next page' several times which works. Same logged on or not but if logged on can use the direct to page feature provided you know what the last page is. Not seen this on any other thread.
I didn't anything but it's working properly this morning. Prompt action by somebody? If so thanks.

ea200
31st Mar 2023, 14:14
I didn't anything but it's working properly this morning. Prompt action by somebody? If so thanks.
Not working again this morning. Last page is 296 but get 294.

jolihokistix
2nd May 2023, 03:01
Try setting "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" to 40 - cured page problems in other threads for me...

https://www.pprune.org/profile.php?do=editoptions

Tried this and it worked temporarily and then got stuck again. Went backwards and forwards between 30 and 40, only solving the problem for a short time. The only eventual way to get there was to actually post a fake message (and then erase it).

*Finally I tried the endless scroll option which does hesitate fractionally but magically overcomes the final stuck page problem and allows fresh posts to appear!

This means though, that without pages any more you need to create some new reflexes such as to push the return arrow to exit and get back to the overall Pprune new posts index page.

212man
25th May 2023, 08:13
I have replied to a post and I can see in the (Rotorheads) summary page that the original poster has replied, and if I click on his details I can even see the actual post he wrote, but when I go the thread itself the last post I can see is my own. What is happening?

212man
25th May 2023, 09:13
My question has been merged into this thread, although this seems to be discussing long threads and the one I refer to has only two replies!

Maybe you could identify the Thread?

Splot

Jhieminga
25th May 2023, 14:14
I have seen this behaviour with posters who have less than 10 posts. In such cases the post needs approval from a moderator before the rest of us can see it, even though you can see evidence of the post having been made at various places.
I'm guessing this thread: https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/652879-performance-class-2-x-cat-sk92.html

212man
25th May 2023, 16:19
I have seen this behaviour with posters who have less than 10 posts. In such cases the post needs approval from a moderator before the rest of us can see it, even though you can see evidence of the post having been made at various places.
I'm guessing this thread: https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/652879-performance-class-2-x-cat-sk92.html
Yes, it is that thread. Curious!

Senior Pilot
28th May 2023, 04:50
I have replied to a post and I can see in the (Rotorheads) summary page that the original poster has replied, and if I click on his details I can even see the actual post he wrote, but when I go the thread itself the last post I can see is my own. What is happening?

It appears the OP responds with a post, then deletes the thread by deleting his OP! I have reopened it twice now, but I suspect your post and his first deletion may have crossed time zones?

Re the thread merges, without knowing which thread you referred to it was a merge based on what appeared to be reported in your thread which had to be moved to the correct forum anyway. Merging seemed the best choice 🤔😇

Senior Pilot
8th Jun 2023, 09:34
An interesting workaround which I have had success with recently is the top left of an active thread that you have been reading is the shortcut ‘View First Unread’.

This has consistently taken me to the ‘hidden’ last page, after which the thread becomes normally readable.

The shortcut is only there for threads that you have followed previously and which has more posts since your last visit. Not ideal but another solution when faced with this perennial problem 👍

sealo0
18th Apr 2024, 12:22
Sorry to bring up an old thread But I am getting this at the end of the thread without being able to add to it? I have done a “Contact Us” to the mods but then remembered this thread. Can someone help?

thanks in advance

Mike
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1399/img_0647_346d955e0a8af240e57e9e9267b280f1bfc13629.png
this is the end of the page. Mike

Jhieminga
18th Apr 2024, 15:25
I just tried this same thread on an iPhone and on my MacBook, I get the same 504/507 counter with just one post after the one that you show in your screenshot. I suspect that it is an internal counting error and not something serious. It could be related to posts requiring approval or moderation, those occur more often in threads like that.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x847/screenshot_2024_04_18_at_17_22_36_58e7e09e39da23bbc0393457ff 2f2e22248bca67.png