PDA

View Full Version : Laser eye surgery help please

OKOC
13th Nov 2022, 16:35
I am thinking about having Laser eye surgery to try and make life without specs a reality again. Any help and experiences good or bad welcome.

Also, does any eye surgery clinic give Veterans a discount. Should I consider having it done abroad eg Hungary as I am living solely on an RAF pension?

TowerDog
13th Nov 2022, 16:43
I am thinking about having Laser eye surgery to try and make life without specs a reality again. Any help and experiences good or bad welcome.

Also, does any eye surgery clinic give Veterans a discount. Should I consider having it done abroad eg Hungary as I am living solely on an RAF pension?

I had it done in the US: Combined cataracts surgery and lens implants.
Total cost about $14,000 but it was worth it, no more spectacles, colors are bright again and my night vision improved.
The clinic did both eyes the same time and it was fairly painless, besides the price..:sad:

tac2ils
13th Nov 2022, 17:05
Do it! Best thing I ever did!
After decades of wearing contact lenses to correct short sightedness, age caught up and I became presbyopic. I saw a TV news story about a then new procedure called blended laser vision. This procedure gives you a different prescription in both eyes - your dominant eye is tuned for distance and the non-dominant eye is tuned for reading distances. The brain then learns to fuse the pictures and very soon you don't notice any thing untoward. Both the CAA and USAF recognise the procedure and, subject to individual recovery, have cleared pilots back into the air! My procedure was carried out at the London Vision Clinic. OK, at £5200 three years ago, not the cheapest, but they devised the procedure and are utterly professional with both pre and post op care.

Uplinker
13th Nov 2022, 19:02
Mrs Uplinker had both eyes done with Toric lenses some years ago, and we worked out that she will actually save money in the long run by not needing to buy contact lenses, cleaning solutions, glasses and new prescriptions etc. over her lifetime.

And all the while, no more problems with steamed up or rain soaked glasses or having to put contacts in and out, and have to carry cleaning solution around and all that palaver.

I did not know the CAA accepted this procedure, but now I am going to have mine done I think. I have resisted glasses so far and forced my eyes to focus without them, (not talking about flying, just general day to day). My dominant eye has gone long focus, the other short, just like the procedure mentioned above and my vision is fine without glasses, just starting to go at very long distance and very close in. So, yes, the brain does seamlessly blend two different focal lengths.

MightyGem
13th Nov 2022, 21:21
One thing to consider. Is your sight problem age related? Age related sight problems are generally due to the muscles that control the shape of the lens(and hence focusing) becoming weak and can't do their job. Laser surgery may alter the lens to cure this, however, the muscles will continue to weaken over time, so the problem will eventually return.

Commando Cody
13th Nov 2022, 21:33
FWIW, I'm considering having it done myself. A couple of things to figure in to costs. I'm in the USA, and whether or not your health insurance (and/or Medicare) covers all or part of it depends on a number of factors. The biggest one is whiter or not it is assessed as a medical necessity. By that I mean, if you're having it done because you don't want to wear glasses/contacts anymore, that's not a medical necessity; all the cost is going to be on you. If, on the other hand, it's being done because you've developed cataracts or potential glaucoma, that is a medical necessity; it's being done to treat a medical condition. Generally, the older you get the more likely it will qualify as medical condition.

The other thing to consider is the type of lens they put in. There's the basic one, that is essentially clear. It will take care of most of the medical situations and will offer some vision improvement, but if you need glasses/contacts before, you likely will need them afterwards. That may be all the insurance will cover because that corrects the medical condition. . There are more advanced lens which can correct astigmatism and you'll see well far away but may still need reading glasses. There are alps multifocal lenses which may allow you to completely get rid of glasses near and far. There are also ones that do that and adjust to light, sort of like those "Transitions" coating you can get on glasses. Naturally, the more advanced the lens, the more the cost, and even with insurance you may need to pick up some of the cost because the vision correction they do may not be considered a medical necessity.

ORAC
13th Nov 2022, 21:40
The other thing to consider is the type of lens they put in.

Nothing put in in most cases, just the cornea shaped by laser - I had LASIK mono vision about 15 years ago - best thing I’ve ever done.

I was afraid of dry eyes, a problem of long standing which meant I’d never had any success with contact lenses of any sort, and went to a professional ophalmic surgeon - but the same op is now down on the high street for about £750 an eye.

Commando Cody
13th Nov 2022, 22:47
I got off on the wrong track. In discussing what insurance might cover I was described a more extensive procedure when this conversation was really more about basic Lasik. The point I made about medical necessity still applies, though, regarding insurance coverage.

One consideration about basic lasik...If you get it done at a relatively youner age, as you age and you eyeballs lose flexibility and change shape slightly, do you have to do it again?

ShyTorque
13th Nov 2022, 23:23
Not directly on topic, but I had cataract surgery seven or eight years ago, on the NHS. Laser surgery wasn’t acceptable to the U.K. CAA then, nor were multi focal replacement eye lenses.

In my case the cataracts were partly age related but apparently also partly genetic (my sister had the same problem).

I agreed before the operations to have my eyes’ focal length optimised for long distance for flying, meaning that I would need reading glasses. This wasn’t a problem because I’d used them for some years before the ops and to my surprise the new lens prescription afterwards was the same as the first one I’d originally had.

I was able to resurrect my old readers (two pairs) and use them. However I’ve very recently had another eye test at an opticians’s because the frames of my favourite pair finally fell apart from metal fatigue. I was pleased to find that the new prescription is still the same as the first I ever had, which was over 21 years ago. The lady who carried out the test told me that my distance vision is really good, especially for someone of my age.

My recommendation for anyone considering eye surgery is to go ahead and get it done. I was rather apprehensive beforehand and during the first op in particular because I knew that if it went wrong my career was finished. I did need a period of recovery leave from work (the two operations were separated by just a few weeks and the CAA require six weeks after each before considering a medical renewal).

ZFT
14th Nov 2022, 04:31

My daughter had both eyes done at Rutnin in Bangkok over 15 years ago. Rutnin is associated with Morefields of UK and is first class. I know of many others who have had equal success there and prices are very affordable.

I had an eye operation there last year which was equally successful

Georg1na
14th Nov 2022, 08:31
Had both my lenses replaced with multifocals. Absolutely life transforming. I saw Jonathan Luck at the Sulis Hospital Bath and he will give you an hours consultation free to see if you are suitable.No glasses for anything...................Brilliant.

ORAC
14th Nov 2022, 08:41
One consideration about basic lasik...If you get it done at a relatively youner age, as you age and you eyeballs lose flexibility and change shape slightly, do you have to do it again?
No, you can just start using reading glasses lik3 most folk….

I had mono vision - one eye fully corrected for distance, the ithe4 half corrected for reading etc. Surgeon said if I was lucky I’d never need reading glasses (struggling now with newspapers, so probably not).

He said if I did I could get the other eye fully corrected fo4 distance if I wanted, so no, I don’t think there is a way around the lens hardening and the muscles weakening. But a pair of cheap reading glasses are only a couple of bucks and not needed for anything except small print.

Uplinker
14th Nov 2022, 09:52
Eye focus is two stages: The first is the lens inside the eye, which is pulled or relaxed to change its shape in order to focus. The second is the eyeball itself is pulled with muscles to change its shape to assist focus. As we age the internal lens hardens, and cannot change shape so well, so focussing is left mostly to the eyeball, or we start using glasses.

The reason I try not to use glasses is because as soon as you provide a situation in which the eye muscles can relax and do not need to work, they will get even weaker through disuse. Much the same as the muscles in your arm or leg weakening if you break a bone and have a plaster cast. I don't use glasses unless I absolutely cannot read the small print in dark lighting.

There are muscular exercises you can use to keep your eye muscles working: Close one eye and focus on a distant object; a tree on the horizon for example. Wait until your eye has fully focussed and you can see detail, then refocus on something closer than your extended hand, e.g. a book. Again, wait until your eye has fully focussed. Then repeat 10 times, far, focus, near, focus etc. Then repeat with the other eye. I try to do this as much as possible and as I say I don't use glasses unless I absolutely cannot read the print. Reading a book at night, the text is sometimes fuzzy, but I can still read and I persevere to keep my eye muscles strong.

Of course, age catches us all up eventually, and I might go for the far/near replacement lens treatment one day, especially since it is CAA approved. Mrs Uplinker sees tiny halos around bright spots from her toric lenses*, which probably would be no good for a pilot.

*Toric lenses have concentric rings of different focal lengths, which the brain learns to use to give a multifocal ability, but the rings can cause the halos.

MightyGem
14th Nov 2022, 19:47
FWIW, I'm considering having it done myself. A couple of things to figure in to costs. I'm in the USA, and whether or not your health insurance (and/or Medicare) covers all or part of it depends on a number of factors. The biggest one is whiter or not it is assessed as a medical necessity. By that I mean, if you're having it done because you don't want to wear glasses/contacts anymore, that's not a medical necessity; all the cost is going to be on you. If, on the other hand, it's being done because you've developed cataracts or potential glaucoma, that is a medical necessity; it's being done to treat a medical condition. Generally, the older you get the more likely it will qualify as medical condition.

The other thing to consider is the type of lens they put in. There's the basic one, that is essentially clear. It will take care of most of the medical situations and will offer some vision improvement, but if you need glasses/contacts before, you likely will need them afterwards. That may be all the insurance will cover because that corrects the medical condition. . There are more advanced lens which can correct astigmatism and you'll see well far away but may still need reading glasses. There are alps multifocal lenses which may allow you to completely get rid of glasses near and far. There are also ones that do that and adjust to light, sort of like those "Transitions" coating you can get on glasses. Naturally, the more advanced the lens, the more the cost, and even with insurance you may need to pick up some of the cost because the vision correction they do may not be considered a medical necessity.
Are you not describing Cataract Surgery?
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cataract-surgery/

Commando Cody
15th Nov 2022, 00:17
Are you not describing Cataract Surgery?
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cataract-surgery/
You are 100% correct, I screwed up, and admitted such in a subsequent post.

One question, though. If done while relatively young, as the eye ages and changes shape, would one have to do it again?

ChrisVJ
15th Nov 2022, 03:45
I have mentioned in a previous thread.
MrsVJ had worn contacts for years and although she wore them continuously had no trouble but eventually had a small eye infection. While seeing the Opthalmy person she was told, "Oh, you have the first signs of cataracts, eventually you'll have to have them done. Just as an advisory she was referred to an eye surgeon.
Eye guy said that it might be better to have them done while she was young and fit (60+) and after some to-ing and froe-ing she was offered a deal on some new lenses from Europe. She'd be the first in Canada and got "a deal" MrsVJ can't pass on a deal, ever!

The lenses are fantastic. Long vision like a sparrow hawk, Short vision for reading, never notice. In between, say five foot to ten, the usual fuzzy space for fresnel lenses, incredible. She can read 10 point at five feet, easily!

Drawbacks. Some halos driving at night, but less glare. Needs to wear sunglasses for driving in any kind of sunlight.

Daughter had Laser treatment last year. I think my wife's vision is better. Government MSP paid the first $1200 of the $3500 cost. (Canada)

MightyGem
15th Nov 2022, 20:51
One question, though. If done while relatively young, as the eye ages and changes shape, would one have to do it again?
​​​​​​​To the best of my knowledge, yes, because the eye muscles that control the lens will still weaken over time.

Geriaviator
16th Nov 2022, 16:15
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/950x358/eyeballs_6e92154bf2b07bfa2b7696208e0c91a102f7364e.jpg

I can recommend this wonderful operation which I had 12 years ago at age 69. Above pictures show view from my bedroom window the day before and day after my lens implants. When I recovered from first sight of the brilliant colours and sharper picture I immediately used Photoshop to recreate my vision as it was before surgery. My surgeon still uses these pictures when lecturing.

Vision deteriorates with age because the original equipment lens becomes hardened so it cannot focus, and discoloured with waste products. The procedure involves liquifying the old lens with ultrasound, sucking it out and replacing with the rolled-up plastic lens. I chose long-range implants and use glasses for easy reading but otherwise my vision is unchanged and I have the same glasses prescription since surgery. Sadly the NHS has cut back on cataract surgery; I understand it costs £2000 privately.