PDA

View Full Version : Antonov AN26B Wake-Up Call

Lyneham Lad
9th Nov 2022, 16:00
About 7.20 this morning whilst slowly realising that is was wake-up time, I heard what sounded like someone wielding a heavy-duty strimmer through dense vegetation. Gradually the sound changed to more of a harsh buzz-saw accompanied by resonance, all the while seeming to get closer. Hmm, I wondered... Grabbed my iPad from the bedside, fired up FR24 and there was an unidentified aircraft (as in no flight number etc) passing just north of me. Clicking on it revealed an AN26B, so now I know what people write about when they describe its unmistakable sound. Slowly, slowly the racket diminished as it passed overhead heading generally eastward. Later I checked FR24 history and it showed it departing from Tangier and seemingly heading for Birmingham. Presumably there would have been lots of folk in southern England and the Midlands cocking an ear and thinking "what on earth is that..."

chevvron
9th Nov 2022, 16:43
From what I've heard, all Antonov turboprops are noisy.

Jump Complete
9th Nov 2022, 17:11
I heard it this morning, saw it on downwind for Birmingham (from just inside where landing traffic turns base leg for 15.) Flight radar showed it as belonging to Ukrainian operator Cavok Air and the Jetphotos link showed a striking red and blue livery. But that was about 11am so must have been another one?
As the OP says, a very distinctive sound, but not uncommon going into Birmingham.

Lyneham Lad
9th Nov 2022, 17:25
I just ran FR24 history function again and it landed at Birmingham 08.07. Tangier to Brum - a heavy load of dates & figs for Christmas? ;)

DaveReidUK
9th Nov 2022, 17:26
I just ran FR24 history function again and it landed at Birmingham 08.07. Tangier to Brum - a heavy load of dates & figs for Christmas? ;)

Tangerines for stockings. :O

NutLoose
9th Nov 2022, 17:30
Often followed by a smokescreen, we used to get them in at EMA all the time. In fact there used to be a couple based here.

ehwatezedoing
9th Nov 2022, 17:34
About 7.20 this morning whilst slowly realising that is was wake-up time, I heard what sounded like someone wielding a heavy-duty strimmer through dense vegetation. Gradually the sound changed to more of a harsh buzz-saw accompanied by resonance, all the while seeming to get closer. Hmm, I wondered... Grabbed my iPad from the bedside, fired up FR24 and there was an unidentified aircraft (as in no flight number etc) passing just north of me. Clicking on it revealed an AN26B, so now I know what people write about when they describe its unmistakable sound. Slowly, slowly the racket diminished as it passed overhead heading generally eastward. Later I checked FR24 history and it showed it departing from Tangier and seemingly heading for Birmingham. Presumably there would have been lots of folk in southern England and the Midlands cocking an ear and thinking "what on earth is that..."
Wait for the day (Or night) you will hear an AN-22. They sound like something coming from the end of the world.

dead_pan
9th Nov 2022, 17:37
Love that sound! Seems to be a regular between Brum and airports in Spain

treadigraph
9th Nov 2022, 17:54
I heard it this morning, saw it on downwind for Birmingham (from just inside where landing traffic turns base leg for 15.) Flight radar showed it as belonging to Ukrainian operator Cavok Air and the Jetphotos link showed a striking red and blue livery. But that was about 11am so must have been another one?
As the OP says, a very distinctive sound, but not uncommon going into Birmingham.
That was an AN-12 - left Brum and came SE over London around 11am.

Wait for the day (Or night) you will hear an AN-22. They sound like something coming from the end of the world.
Amazing sound, the Antonov-owned example came over here enroute Shannon-Eastern Europe a couple of decades ago, thought it was an AN-12 out of Heathrow, nope it's the dot at the end of that vapour trail. On a second visit to my overhead it was inbound Bournemouth one evening, even descending through 19000' it was rattling my fillings.

NutLoose
9th Nov 2022, 18:01
Yup 22 used to pop in to EMA too.

PapaDolmio
9th Nov 2022, 18:51
Same engines on a Tu95 as an An22 I believe- certainly sound very similar as I discovered one night at Skopje airport Macedonia whilst deployed with an AAC helicopter unit on Op Essential Harvest.

Large noisey turboprop on approach caused much speculation as to its type- sounds like a Bear says I (only time I have ever heard one was at IAT). Materialised into an unmarked An22 which taxied to the Macedonian military side, a handy pair of NVGs allowed us to watch two BTR70s being unloaded.

dixi188
9th Nov 2022, 19:05
Of course, we in the west don't make noisy turboprops any more.
Oops! I forgot about the A400M Atlas.:)

Thrust Augmentation
9th Nov 2022, 19:50
There was an An-12 doing cargo flights passing over Scotland during COVID times. Noisey is an understatement & probably made worse by the general lack of flights at the time.

The A400M is up there as well!

Ripton
9th Nov 2022, 20:03
The Cavok Air AN-12 came past here when I was out with the dog at lunchtime. Sounded different enough to make me look it up.

The dog wasn't all that interested.

TBSC
9th Nov 2022, 20:21
Had the luck to hear the An-12/22/24/26/32, Il-18, Electra, Transall, M28 etc on the apron, the A400 is way worse than any of those.

Asturias56
10th Nov 2022, 08:08
personally I always though the Bristol Frightener had a tone of its own - not loud but persistent -seemingly for days as it trundled across the sky

pulse1
10th Nov 2022, 08:24
I have only just seen this thread but I heard the AN26B that morning too. It was the unusual noise that made me look at FR24. It gave no details but I did see that it came from Tangier but didn't say where it was going. I was surprised it ended up in Birmingham as it was heading east just north of Bournemouth when I heard it.

treadigraph
10th Nov 2022, 08:43
personally I always though the Bristol Frightener had a tone of its own - not loud but persistent -seemingly for days as it trundled across the sky

WGAF Dornier 28s used to crawl over here on their way home from visiting Brawdy, the sound of those Lycomings was audible for what seemed like hours...

mmitch
10th Nov 2022, 08:54
Did the AN 22 survive the Russians? I read that it was located in Ukraine at the start when the AN225 was totaled. I can confirm that having heard the 22 the 12 and the RAF 400 over North Kent all sound just as noisy!
mmitch.

treadigraph
10th Nov 2022, 09:05
I believe the AN-22 was damaged but not to the point of being written off.

bugged on the right
10th Nov 2022, 09:13
Asturias56, RNZAF Bristol Freighter in the 70s. " Butterworth tower, Kiwi XXX base for full stop". " Roger Kiwi XXX. Report ops normal on the hour ".

dead_pan
10th Nov 2022, 10:33
The A400 isn't that bad - sounds like a jet as it approaches. Nice blue note on occasions too.

Asturias56
10th Nov 2022, 13:21
"Asturias56, RNZAF Bristol Freighter in the 70s. " Butterworth tower, Kiwi XXX base for full stop". " Roger Kiwi XXX. Report ops normal on the hour "."

I heard someone similar say "Noted - we've put in the diary"

Though an old Army mate of mine swore it was faster than a Berverley