PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish Club

John (Gary) Cooper
28th Aug 2002, 12:37
Anyone a member of the Goldfish Club, surviving a ditching in the sea and whose life was saved by their Mae West, Rubber Dinghy, ASR etc, like to hear from you. There are just over 600 of us around.

Mr_Grubby
28th Aug 2002, 13:48
John.

I have just started to read Jump For It, by Sqd. Ldr. Gerald Bowman. Stories of the Caterpillar Club. Published 1955. Great read.

Like to know more about the Goldfish Club.

In your post you say 'There are just over 600 of us around'

Please tell your story. Don't be shy.

Mr G. in anticipation.

:) :)

ORAC
28th Aug 2002, 14:03
You might have more responses in the "Aviation History and Nostalgia" forum.

John (Gary) Cooper
28th Aug 2002, 17:53
If you click on to the window marked <www> on my posting you can read all about it, takes 1.5 hours to read if you are really that interested.................

John (Gary) Cooper
29th Aug 2002, 14:10
For those that are requiring information re The Goldfish Club, please click on to http://www.geocities.com/b24gunr2000/Goldfish_Club.html

Elvis21
30th Aug 2002, 08:49
John,

My Grandfather is a member of the Gold Fish Club. He ditched into the Channel in (I think) 1943 whilst as a pilot for 233 squadron. His name is Kenneth Harper.

Ex Douglas Driver
30th Aug 2002, 09:48
I became a member last year by logging 1.5 hrs captain in my life raft last year after taking a swim off Australia (I was in the RNZAF at the time). After reading the newsletter, I think I'm one of the newer current day military members.

I was very surprised to receive a letter from the NZ branch inviting me to join. Come to think of it I need to send in my subscriptions!!

Anyone else out there part of this prestigious (yet somewhat unfortunate) club?

John (Gary) Cooper
30th Aug 2002, 10:04
Thankfully it does not happen as often as it used to, it is something I have had to endure for 42 years and I know of others that feel the same, the only cosolation is that we are all here to tell the tale, many other less fortunate souls are not. I had so many near misses that since the end of my service career (1969) I haven't flown since and I was only a passenger or a member of a servicing crew!

John (Gary) Cooper
31st Aug 2002, 08:25
Have heard today that Reg Ross, an ex Chairman of The Goldfish Club has recently passed away, Reg was one of the original members of the Club and was certainly one of the first members to have joined after its formation in 1942. Reg 'ditched' twice, the first time just after his 21st birthday in 1941 followed by a second dip less than two years later in a Lancaster.

Thanks to Jim Julian, Chairman, and Len Norris, PRO, at The Goldfish Club