PDA

View Full Version : Instructor Medical Requirements

BristolScout
8th Nov 2022, 14:34
Having had a minor heart attack 3 years ago, I now hold a Class 2 medical but it's ridiculously expensive to renew with stress ECG etc. So, I'm wondering whether I can legitimately instruct within the PPL privileges of my licence on the basis of a PMD. The ANO doesn't talk about ratings when enumerating the circumstances where a PMD is allowable and my AME won't commit himself. I wrote to CAA Medical Department months ago but received no response. Has anybody else looked at this option?

Whopity
8th Nov 2022, 15:04
You can teach on an Annex 1 aircraft and for a NPPL, but not for a Part FCL licence or in a Part 21 aircraft.

EXDAC
8th Nov 2022, 17:33
In FAA land no medical is required for instructing. The medical requirements only become applicable if the instructor needs to act as pilot in command. Tends to limit the instructing that can be done but instructing itself requires no medical.

Does the same situation apply in UK?

Whopity
8th Nov 2022, 18:39
The medical requirements only become applicable if the instructor needs to act as pilot in command To be an instructor in Europe you are the pilot in command!
FCL.915 General prerequisites and requirements for instructors
(3) be entitled to act as PIC on the aircraft during such flight instruction.

rudestuff
9th Nov 2022, 01:58
The US regulation is much more reasonable. If the student is rated on the aircraft (maybe doing commercial training or simulated instruments) then the instructor does not need a medical as the student is perfectly capable of and legal to fly with a dead body if necessary.

EXDAC
9th Nov 2022, 03:14
The US regulation is much more reasonable. If the student is rated on the aircraft (maybe doing commercial training or simulated instruments) then the instructor does not need a medical as the student is perfectly capable of and legal to fly with a dead body if necessary.

Agree on commercial training. However, you can't legally fly "under the hood" in USA unless the safety pilot (or instructor) is qualified to act as PIC and that requires a medical or basic med. Simulated instuments requires more than a "stiff" in the other seat.

One situation in which an instructor may give instruction with no medical is when giving a flight review to a pilot who is still current. Just don't put the applicant under the hood. Perhaps another is giving tail wheel instruction to a pilot who is qualified to fly nose wheel.

awair
9th Nov 2022, 04:12
Agree on commercial training. However, you can't legally fly "under the hood" in USA unless the safety pilot (or instructor) is qualified to act as PIC and that requires a medical or basic med. Simulated instuments requires more than a "stiff" in the other seat.

Not quite accurate:
The safety pilot must have a Private Certificate (with Category & Class). 91.109 (c) - a medical certificate is not mentioned.
Also the Safety Pilot might be the SIC, not necessarily the PIC.
This is how Instructors can fly without a medical certificate under FAA regulations.

EXDAC
9th Nov 2022, 13:47
Not quite accurate:
The safety pilot must have a Private Certificate (with Category & Class). 91.109 (c) - a medical certificate is not mentioned.
Also the Safety Pilot might be the SIC, not necessarily the PIC.
This is how Instructors can fly without a medical certificate under FAA regulations.

The safety pilot is a required crew member and requires at least a Class III medical or Basic Med. If the safety pilot is flying under Basic Med he must be acting as PIC for at least the time the other crew member is under the hood.

Lots of on-line references support this, Here is one -
https://pilot-protection-services.aopa.org/news/2017/september/01/basicmed-and-safety-pilots

BristolScout
10th Nov 2022, 10:55
Thanks, Whopity. Are you able to give me the source of your info, please?

Whopity
10th Nov 2022, 14:15
Like may things there is nothing to prohibit it so on that basis you can. There is no specific regulation that lists it as a priviledge. Check your PMs

awair
10th Nov 2022, 14:26
The safety pilot is a required crew member and requires at least a Class III medical or Basic Med. If the safety pilot is flying under Basic Med he must be acting as PIC for at least the time the other crew member is under the hood.

Lots of on-line references support this, Here is one -
https://pilot-protection-services.aopa.org/news/2017/september/01/basicmed-and-safety-pilots

Apologies, my mistake: you are completely correct.

The Instructor situation is a specific exemption:
(viii) Is exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate, provided the person is not acting as pilot in command or as a required pilot flight crewmember;

VFR-Seek and Destroy
11th Nov 2022, 22:32
As an aside, there is no need for a pilot to undergo an ECG as part of the medical in order to exercise private or commercial privileges with a FAA pilot certificate unlike in the UK …..

Fl1ingfrog
12th Nov 2022, 09:43
The UK regulations do not demand it either other than when it is medically required but the CAA bullies AMEs into requiring the ECG without discretion.

BigEndBob
29th Nov 2022, 10:00
I had a HA about 9 years ago after taking Naproxin tablets for back ache. I had to treadmill test for next 5 years after the event. All seemed a complete waste of time. Fortunately i had them all done foc.

Can a instructor fall back on to the LAPL medical 2 year validity if only teaching LAPL?

BEagle
29th Nov 2022, 10:51
Can a instructor fall back on to the LAPL medical 2 year validity if only teaching LAPL?

No.xxxxxxx

BigEndBob
29th Nov 2022, 21:44
No.xxxxxxx
Thanks.