PDA

View Full Version : Uk Fireball in West this evening

ea200
23rd Oct 2022, 20:01
Just seen what I suspect was a very bright meteor behind cloud around 2033 BST. Looking West from near EGSS I saw a very fast orb, apparent size about 50% of current moon. Apparent track S-N and apparent angle of decent about 35 degrees. There are thunderstorms about but certainly not a normal lightning flash. Never seen ball lightning though. Not like a firework in any way. Plenty of aircraft around at the time and I am sure it would have been visible from the flight deck. Very spectacular.

ea200
23rd Oct 2022, 23:19
It was spotted by a couple of the UKMON cameras. A pretty spectacular one with clear skies.

https://twitter.com/UKMeteorNetwork

WHBM
24th Oct 2022, 07:01
'Clear Skies' would not describe last night in London though ... wettest day of the year I believe.

blue up
24th Oct 2022, 08:38
I was down to 20mph on the M4 last night, even with wipers on full blast. Not seen rain like it in a long time.

One wonders how fast these objects are travelling and if they give a fright to those Uniformed people watching the skies for Incoming Missiles etc.

treadigraph
24th Oct 2022, 09:32
I got caught in a torrential downpour plus son et lumiere while walking on the Downs around 5pm yesterday - diverted through the woods as being on the open common was marginally less inviting than the thought of a tree being blasted by an errant bolt! Very strng winds as well. Then opted for a bus. Boy did it hammer down! Funny smell in the air almost as soon as the rain started, dunno if it was ozone which I vaguely recall being associated with stormy weather, certainly wasn't that damp earth smell you get after a dry spell. Heard more rain during the evening but no idea how intense it was. Had to divert again this morning due to a large flood, blocked drains bung full of leaves and earthy detritus carried down hill from the multitude of building sites littering the roads around here.

Wish I'd seen the fireball!