PDA

View Full Version : CIR Renewals

batch
28th Aug 2002, 07:14
Gday all,

just a few questions about CIR renewals.

1) How long after old one expires must renewal(if not intending to use) be done to avoid re-doing initial issue? Have heard up to a yr, is ok??

2) What can you expect in a renewal?

3) Is it worth doing renewals even though not operating IFR? (building renewals for later job applications)

Any info and comment would be appreciated

cheers:)

puff
28th Aug 2002, 07:40
1. I believe you have either 12 or 18 months after it expires before you have to do the initial again, find out because you wouldn't want to go thru that again if you don't need to!

2. Basically you only have to do 1 approach in the aircraft and the rest can be conducted in a sim. During the flight expect a fairly normal flight except for 1 or 2 engine failures at some stage during the approach, normal at the missed approach point, generally you'll do a circling approach somewhere as well. The 'oral' side of the renewal is pretty much like an initial issue, just read over ya AIPs/Jeps on stuff like circling area, requirements for descent below LSALT, instrument requirements, alternates, all the same kinda stuff asked in your initial.

3. I guess this is a question there is no correct answer for except I doubt that having a few IR renewals behind you is going to be a bad thing in any employers mind, especially where bigger GA companies have a requirement for 2-5 renewals before applying. I've just done my first renewal and I haven't even had a job flying yet

PLovett
28th Aug 2002, 07:45
BATCH

Very briefly, I understand that you need to renew a CIR within 12 months of its expiry otherwise you need to do the whole thing again. That is, all of the training and a full test at the end.

For that very reason it is worth renewing them.

What you can expect depends on where you renew them. If the organisation has an approved simulator, then an approach (possibly VOR) will be done in that, otherwise the rest of it is in an aircraft, usually over a short trip. I have also seen it done over the aids at the departure airport. There is also an oral theory test.

If you are not using the rating regularly, you may well have to spend some time getting back up to speed and studying the theory again. I certainly had to.

I'm sure that other PPRuNe'rs will add to this so keep a watch on your thread over the next few days.:) :)

I Fly
28th Aug 2002, 08:38
Nearly right guys. It's 12 month and CAO 40.2.1.12.3 states the test has to be the same as an initial issue test. There is nothing said about doing the training again. Just to keep the rating alive you need to do NDB in a SE only. You could do the other Approaches again when you need them. You need the theory part from the test form. 1 EFTO, 1 asymmetric circling approach if you fly a twin and 1 asymmetric missed approach.

Icarus2001
28th Aug 2002, 10:01
Doesn't anyone read the CAO's anymore?

12 months is the right answer to avoid doing the initial issue test again. However a look at the differences shows that it is not significant.

http://www.casa.gov.au/download/orders/cao40/400201.pdf

The flight test form is also on the CASA site if you can be bothered to look at it.

Java
28th Aug 2002, 17:10
So is this right. I have held a ME/CIR before with 3 or 4 renewals now. I haven't flown much in the last 3 years and my ME/CIR lapsed about 2 years ago. Would I have to do the IREX theory exam again, a few flights to get back up to speed and then do another cross country flight test and a sim test aswell.

OR

can i just do a few approaches and a cross country flight test in the sim.

cheers

Java

Icarus2001
28th Aug 2002, 23:08
Well to save you the bother of clicking on the above link :) I'll tell you that NO, you do not need to do your IREX again.

You will need to do flying/synthetic trainer work to get you up to speed and then the test for the Initial Issue of a CIR.

Now you want to know how many hours and what will it cost right?;)

How long is a piece of string?

maximus
28th Aug 2002, 23:55
Icarus , you're right everything they need to know is right there at CASA's website but I think they're too lazy to look.
batch , what is required for the renewal is there in black and white on the "Application for an Insrument Rating, Flight Test Report" form.......:rolleyes:

Stiff Under Carriage
29th Aug 2002, 00:00
Come on guys, this should've been easy. As Icarus stated read your CAO's (40.2.1) all the answers are there.

After 12 months of the rating being expired you must conduct the initial issue type test. This just means you need to conduct all the approaches in the aircraft. No more IREX exams, no more training, though I'd highly reccommend a few flights prior to doing the test.

Depending on where you go will depend on what you do.

Hope this helps....

SU/C
;)

exmexican
29th Aug 2002, 03:03
Oh dear. This is the sort of question that could easily pop up in your oral questions. If you can't recall this or don't know where to find it in the CAO's, some testing officers would go beserk! Renewals/tests can be prematurely terminated at full cost for not knowing this stuff.(believe me, I know, OUCH!!)