View Full Version : Austrian Airlines NTR FO E195

Alpine Flyer
18th Oct 2022, 18:53
Austrian is hiring (https://www.aviationjobs.me/jobs/embraer-195-non-type-rated-first-officers-austrian-airlines-austria/?utm_content=buffer8e8e8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer) non-type-rated FOs for E195.
German is required, may not have been rejected by DLR as ready entries previously.

Part of the Embraer’s network is ex-Dash 8-400 with rather shortish sectors and payment isn‘t industry leading but overall treatment of pilots is OK. Don‘t expect quick progress to long-range as no big retirement movement on seniority list is to be expected for about 8-10 years.

VIE has been rated amongst top cities to live during the last years.

dirk85
19th Oct 2022, 01:40
As long as you are happy to be paid less than the guy refueling your plane, you should by all means go for it.

level_change
20th Oct 2022, 21:16
I would like to work for my national carrier but I probably wouldn't pass the DLR , and if I would, I couldn't afford to move my family to Vienna on this kind of salary, and if I could, I would be an FO for a very long time and my 13 years of commercial experience would be meaningless.

NFFuture
29th Oct 2022, 15:24
As long as you are happy to be paid less than the guy refueling your plane, you should by all means go for it.

I agree that the salary is for certain not industry leading, but to but it in context: A 3rd Year FO Salary still puts you in the top 10% of all Austrian employees considering their monthly salary. And if you compare it to other German speaking outfits (Condor, EW D, EW Europe) the pay scales aren’t even that much worse, especially if you consider the 14 monthly salaries and the associated tax benefit. And I think theses other airlines are the benchmark here.

It certainly is a perfect match for all Austrians, and might be the perfect match for Germans on the look for a solid company embedded in the LH Group.

Newcomer2
30th Oct 2022, 14:27
Eurowings is the benchmark? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Even Wizzair pays more...

cefey
31st Oct 2022, 16:37
How much does Austrian pay (let's use that 3-year FO example?) After-tax, to the bank account?
Wizz in VIE would be about 4500/month (12 salaries) after taxes, etc. But now they are moving to a new pay scheme, based in Malta, etc, so idk about the new numbers.

NFFuture
1st Nov 2022, 16:03
Judging by the numbers on ppjn I wouldnt believe so.
But I didn't think of them as a benchmark because they pay so we'll, but rather because they are comparable in their Ops, structure, unionization, pay scheme, local contract or location. (Also they are hiring, else I could also compare them to LH...)

I guess if your out for the big bucks, than this is not your company. But if you are only in it for the money, flying in Europe as a new hire for an airline is probably not the right way to go.

How much does Austrian pay (let's use that 3-year FO example?) After-tax, to the bank account?
Wizz in VIE would be about 4500/month (12 salaries) after taxes, etc. But now they are moving to a new pay scheme, based in Malta, etc, so idk about the new numbers.

Always tough to compare net salaries, because if the individual tax situations. But for a childless single using no tax benefits like Pendlerpauschale etc you might end up with around 3100€/month (x14 + low tax on 13th and 14th salary). But if you crank out those wizzair hours you will probably get some solid overtime payment.

I have to say, I am little surprised how well Wizzair is paying. Because I was looking at the very recent numbers posted on ppjn, and calculated way lower figures: Even if I assume FO Top bracket with 35'000km/month and 80 sectors a month I get to way lower figures than the mentioned net 4500€/month. And who wants to fly 80 sectors per month the whole year? Is that even possible?

26'000€ + 35'000km x 12 months x 0,038€ + 19€ x 80 Landings x 12 months= 60'200€ gross = 2700-3200€/month (x12) net salary
(Same calculation with FO base bracket equals to 2000€-2400€/month)

sekmeth
2nd Nov 2022, 17:39

so a 5 year FO in wizz takes home 5k netto in the summer with 14 days off while he works parttime, like I had?
good on them!

BarryMG
3rd Nov 2022, 07:18
A 5 year FO in Wizz has just finished his upgrade and getting ready to net more than that.

booze
3rd Nov 2022, 07:38
Let's not forget the BS swiss tax and/or confair wzz contract. That's the main root of a higher takehome salary. I'm sure that the long term benefits of an Austrian contract far outweigh what wzz has to offer. You can't compare a career legacy airline to a low cost or at least you can't do it by only talking euros in the bank at the end of the month.

Potatos_69
3rd Nov 2022, 10:51
A 5 year FO in Wizz has just finished his upgrade and getting ready to net more than that.

Only if they pass the command training... Even then they will only get a tiny pay rise each year for 5 more years then stagnate salary wise compared to someone working for OS who overall has a better package once you include fringe benefits (and the ability to get a more regular pay rise) etc.

Fast upgrades are a trap to keep you stuck in the LCC/ULCC level of airlines. Long term aiming for a legacy (especially if you are a younger first officer) is just far superior to what Wizz can offer you from a career with them