PDA

View Full Version : UK A320 Captain going to the USA, where to go?

Polorutz
15th Oct 2022, 07:31
Hello all, thank you for taking the time to look at this post.

I recently converted my UK ATPL into an FAA ATP and applied for a green card so the immigration situation is sorted.

What I would like to ask all you fine ladies and gentlemen is where to go in the industry based on my profile and experience as it’s very hard
to determine options from abroad.

I have the privilege of flying the A320 as PIC for a UK low cost operator. Have over 8000TT and around 5000 A320 PIC.

My current salary before tax is circa 180k usd and I have a young family so my airline works really well as we don’t tend to nightstop too often.

I have family members in Tampa, FL whom I’d like to live close to so I’m looking for any part 121 or 135 job that would take me.

My must haves are:

1) Relatively short time to command (under 5 years)

2) Preferably TPA or MCO base.

My nice to haves are:

3) Least amount of nights away from home base, turnarounds work great here in the UK for my family.

4) Good money.

5) Would be nice to be on A320 but not a deal
breaker if not.

Based on those ideas. What options would you recommend having a look at?

I know Spirit and Frontier are potentially good fits but if you have any inside information that would help point me in the right direction I’d be grateful.

Thank you.

j.nips
15th Oct 2022, 10:33
Hi,

I'm in a similar situation myself jumping ship from Asia. 10k hrs, A320 CA, 40yrs old.

According to your preferences I'd have a hard look at the Frontier/Spirit/Jetblue trio (duo soon). Also just read some of the threads on APC (It's a US specific forum). Will help a lot obtaining the info you're looking for.

On my side I'm looking at moving to BOS so probably Jetblue or Republic for me w commuting for a while until i can hold it as a base. Not caring much about quick command although it would be nice to retire from a major with holding at least NB command.

Just had it w locos as well as corporate in Euroland and Asia by now.

Good luck!

bafanguy
15th Oct 2022, 14:24
For both of the posters so far, if you have a green card (and FAA license) in hand, why not also apply directly to DL, UA, AA, UPS and FedEx ? They hire green card holders.

Polorutz
15th Oct 2022, 18:33
For both of the posters so far, if you have a green card (and FAA license) in hand, why not also apply directly to DL, UA, AA, UPS and FedEx ? They hire green card holders.

So, for me it’s a basing and nightstopping issue.

Do any of those majors have a base either in TPA or MCO? How junior are they?

Majors tend to be hard to be based where you want and also tend to be very trip based with not too many same day turns.

Also, command would take a loooooong time.

I’d be happy to be informed otherwise.

bafanguy
15th Oct 2022, 18:49
Polorutz,

Understand. You're correct that one cannot count on a steady diet of day trips. Allegiant maybe has many of them and some Florida bases (I forget)? But these things have a way of changing. Good luck. With your qualifications, you should generate interest from several carriers.

Allegiant trip discussion:

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/allegiant/136846-multi-day-trips.html

This may answer your base questions:

http://www.pilotdomiciles.com/pilot_domiciles-8-28-2022.png

B2N2
15th Oct 2022, 23:08
Aim low hit low.
You’ll be treated with suspicion applying for a 135 type job.
In short 135 pilots do everything and 121 pilots do nothing outside of flying. Think trip planning and flight planning, stocking and cleaning the aircraft and babysitting pax.
Allegiant has mostly out and backs but is (mostly) considered a scumbag airline.
Miami is a Junior base for American Airlines and at a 4 hrs drive considered ‘close’ to Tampa. Orlando and Fort Lauderdale are JetBlue bases.
New startup Avelo has just announced an RSW base which is 2hrs from Tampa.
Quickest upgrades are currently with the Regionals.

TowerDog
16th Oct 2022, 00:42
Any Major US airline job would be like winning Lotto. (Called Legacy Carriers these days, Majors 30 years ago)
Don't focus too much on where you would like to live, bases come and go and you can commute, easy commute sometimes.
Driving 4 hours for AA may be a bit much as you will be on reserve initially (How do I know? :sad:)
Even as a line holder 4 hrs drive is much: (Come back from a long overnight trip, throw in a delay and some bad wx, you been
up 20 hours, now you drive home another 4 hours, not a good idea.)
JetBlue and Spirit would be good choices, Frontier also, no A-320 time required, but common sense says it is an advantage.

B2N2
16th Oct 2022, 13:18
Even as a line holder 4 hrs drive is much: (Come back from a long overnight trip, throw in a delay and some bad wx, you been
up 20 hours, now you drive home another 4 hours, not a good idea.)

Obviously common sense would prevail.
You’d occasionally need a crew hotel or crashpad.
Aviation in the US is not as type specific as it is in Europe, it’s very common for an ‘airline pilot’ to have 3-4 type ratings or more.

atlanticjet
17th Oct 2022, 16:56

Majors tend to be hard to be based where you want and also tend to be very trip based with not too many same day turns.

Not sure what you mean by long, but latest upgrades at Delta are under a year and United has unfilled Captain bids (meaning not enough FOs took the upgrade).

You are qualified enough for a legacy interview and that’s what you should concentrate your efforts on. Bases come and go and legacies do offer many day trips. Generally, the bigger the airline and the more types of aircraft it flies, the more option of trips and bases you have. In the long term your financial earnings, flying opportunities and general quality of life will be much better at a legacy. The low costs and regionals are suffering with a major attrition problem. Just ask yourself why. Go big!

Also, although command is important, US is very different when it comes to that. Many senior legacy FOs actually make very close if not the same as a junior narrow body Captain, while at the same time averaging more days off and flying easier trips. It is very common to see a narrow body Captain bid and go to a wide body FO position here. US is all about quality of life and enjoying your time.

Good luck!

bafanguy
17th Oct 2022, 21:28
atlanticjet,

You're comments are 100% spot on. I hesitated to dissuade Polorutz from his quest for a life of day trips but you summed up the realities nicely for him. His preferences might be hard to achieve right out of the gate.

And...we still don't know he has that green card in hand. Until he does, this is a purely academic discussion. I wish him well.

j.nips
18th Oct 2022, 02:12
Something i gathered recently which might affect green card holder's employment prospects: no ex-mil, unable PRIA, no US carrier Part 121/135/91 experience - only hrs count from foreign operators towards total time, nothing else, slim chances for internal recommendations, not flowing through from a wholly owned, etc. All this narrows down our chances to me to regionals and a handful of LCC-s. Maybe some ACMI. What do you guys think?

bafanguy
18th Oct 2022, 18:59
j.nips,

Just my humble opinion, but I think the factors you mention above have been an issue in the past...and may be in the future. In the current environment, most of them aren't as big an obstacle as one might imagine.

This current hiring binge will come to an end some day and those factors may come into play again. My guess is that a green card won't be a negative (for well qualified pilots) even when hiring slows down.

In the meantime, if someone wants to fly here, apply to every place you might even remotely consider working and see what happens. They can't kill ya and eat ya for applying.

j.nips
19th Oct 2022, 13:38
Great, hopefully you're right. Thanks!

moneyhoon
19th Oct 2022, 14:42
j.nips,

Just my humble opinion, but I think the factors you mention above have been an issue in the past...and may be in the future. In the current environment, most of them aren't as big an obstacle as one might imagine.

This current hiring binge will come to an end some day and those factors may come into play again. My guess is that a green card won't be a negative (for well qualified pilots) even when hiring slows down.

In the meantime, if someone wants to fly here, apply to every place you might even remotely consider working and see what happens. They can't kill ya and eat ya for applying.I can confirm this. I am green card holder and have an imminent start date with a major. I have also very recently been invited to another legacy interview. I am on an EU passport. Good luck 👍🏼

bafanguy
19th Oct 2022, 21:33
I am green card holder and have an imminent start date with a major. I have also very recently been invited to another legacy interview.

moneyhoon,

I hope you'll take the first class class date you have. From that point, you're dealing from a position of strength and can see what else is available to you from other career-destination positions.

Good luck.

moneyhoon
20th Oct 2022, 04:52
moneyhoon,

I hope you'll take the first class class date you have. From that point, you're dealing from a position of strength and can see what else is available to you from other career-destination positions.

Good luck.

I have and start imminently! Fortunately it was my number one choice of carriers to work for mainly due to the fact there are no passengers involved.

Just a few days to go until wheels up from the Middle East which I am told by friends who have left the region is the best feeling you will have since beginning here!

I am extremely grateful for the opportunity 🇺🇸 and can’t wait to start the next and final chapter of my aviation career.

PS … thanks for all your posts many helped me with decisions along the way! 🤙🏼

bafanguy
21st Oct 2022, 15:19
I have and start imminently! Fortunately it was my number one choice of carriers to work for mainly due to the fact there are no passengers involved.

Congrats...nice to hear a success story.

jetpig32
22nd Oct 2022, 04:38
United is in the process of opening a few non-hub domiciles. It is rumored MCO or MCO/TPA joint base is in the top of the running. Likely 737. Can’t comment rotations. We currently can’t fill captain spots IAD/EWR/SFO/LAX.

Amadis of Gaul
11th Nov 2022, 13:37

Consider yourself informed otherwise. American, for one, has a Miami base which is easily accessible from Tampa.