PDA

View Full Version : Explain Like I am Five: RAT MAN ON // GEN1 LINE

k.swiss
14th Oct 2022, 11:00
Gentleman the time has come. Having searched the forum for no clear cut answer, or answers that confused me more like "Check deeper into the FCOM" please could someone kindly help me with the following.

1. What is a good example of the "GEN1 LINE" pushbutton and the underlying logic?
2. When would you use the RAT pushbutton on the hydraulic overhead as opposed to the electric overhead section.

While I know the information is available in the FCOM it is still hard for me to process/understand. Any help is appreciated!

nickler
14th Oct 2022, 12:15
1. Good bye GEN 1, used in avionics smoke and/or to set emergency electrical configuration (later GEN 2 will be switched off). 1 pump per wing tank remains powered directly by the IDG and DC ESS BUS (pumps relay) to avoid issues with gravity fuel feeding as you're already busy enough dealing with smoke. If you had simply switched off GEN1+2 from the electrical panel you would have lost also the fuel pumps.
2. EMER GEN will not activate, use it for HYD issues only when requested by the ECAM to pressurize the B HYD through the RAT.

vilas
14th Oct 2022, 17:17
RAT drives blue hydraulic pump which drives the EMER GEN. If you need only blue hydraulic do it manually from hydraulic panel. You need blue electrics then from EMER ELEC panel. Normally happens automatically.

Ollie Onion
15th Oct 2022, 06:16
1. In Emergency Electric Config the entire electrical system is isolated and by selecting GEN LINE 1 you ensure 1 fuel pump in each main tank remains powered so that gravity feeding doesn’t add to your problems.

2. RAT OUT on Hydraulic panel is used when you need the RAT to power the Blue Hydraulic Circuit via the emergency pump. Selecting it on the ELEC panel brings the emergency Elec generator online as well.