PDA

View Full Version : PPL stooging around in Africa

Badges
14th Oct 2022, 10:58
I want to fly in Africa for six months - no idea where or in what, so I currently have a wonderful blank canvas. I am a PPL, though I suppose I could do voluntary flying to help the community in some meaningful way. Any suggestions?

Asturias56
16th Oct 2022, 10:26
be prepared for the most interesting experience of your life

Afrijet
17th Oct 2022, 04:57
I’ve got a few questions/statements. Whose aircraft shall you be flying in your virtuous quest? You’ll just fly to help some Africans? Are they aware of your mission? Will you be requiring compensation? Are you looking for someone to hand you the keys to their Cessna for free flight time? You are aware that a private pilot cannot be compensated for their work? What license will you be using to help out the poor Africans? What languages will you be using to speak to the “natives”? There are several linguas in use across the massive continent and English isn’t always the first choice. Will you be requiring a work permit? Is immigration planning on issuing you one? I have more questions and statements forthcoming, predicated on your response. Patiently awaiting your response Captain.

meleagertoo
17th Oct 2022, 12:22
Badges, sadly it's most unlikely to happen.
Africa, as much as anywhere else in the world is awash with out of work low-houred wannabes with genuine local Commercial licences that they have slaved and grafted for. Quite apart from the practical points made by Afrijet you aren't going to be the first choice for friendly conversation at the bar of the local flying club when these genuine commercial pilots find you've taken a job that by rights they ought to be doing and gettng paid for. The local CAA will take an equally dim view of such activity, especially if done on a foreign licence.
Additionally bush flying in Africa is no place for a low houred PPL as it is often extremely demanding due to weather, field conditions, performance issues and so on.
Even the missionary people only take CPL IR 500hrs min. plus a pretty virulent dose of God.

DBSomeone
29th Oct 2022, 08:51
Well when I worked for a safari company I had a guest who was one of those digital nomads from the States, and from the sounds of it he got to quite a few places by offering his services as a pilot (for free). I do think that he had contacted and arranged all this beforehand, but he did manage to get into a few places because of it. So worth a try, after all, you only have to gain from it.

carlapilot
23rd Nov 2022, 19:56
Hi guys, does anyone know if it’s possible to Convert CPL or ATPL from ICAO to EASA in South Africa?

pfvspnf
29th Nov 2022, 22:01
Western union popular here