PDA

View Full Version : Country Capital Flight Centre

Natit
28th Aug 2002, 03:54
Hi All,

After reading this months (Sept/Oct) issue of Australian Flying, I came across an ad for Country Captial Flight Centre based in YSTW.

Now what I'm wondering is this....I know there have been many debates on PPRUNE about paying for ICUS etc, but I'm not sure exactly what this ad entails and how much of it is acutally fact.

'You will be able to enter a total of 300 hours in your logbook, giving you quality time in twin engine aircraft. Endorsed on PA30, C310R, PA31'. Has anyone actually stepped out and done any of this flying at all, or is this something new??

I'm just curious to know, would any of these hours actually be of any help to a newly qualified CPL, or as the debates in the past have said, ICUS is a waste of time??

PLovett
28th Aug 2002, 23:17
Natit

I believe that ICUS is well worth the effort but that it may well depend on the operator. The fact that you are expected to pay for the privilege is an issue that can be debated until the cows come home. :mad:

I have done two lots of ICUS since gaining my CIR and I am about to undertake a third stint shortly. Perhaps I have been fortunate but both times I gained heaps from the experience. That may well be due to the operator and how they conduct ICUS.;)

It is one of the few ways in which multi-engine experience can be gained short of pulling off a few armed robberies to pay for aircraft hire.:eek: The other way to look at it is that all experiences are learning experiences, even if they are negative.

As to the Country Capital Flight Centre ad, I cannot comment. My memory of the ad is that the 300 hours is a complete CPL course plus CIR and multi-engine endorsements and ICUS work on their freight runs.

At the end of the day, you are going to be better off with that experience than a 150 hour CPL and a basic CIR giving another 20 to 40 hours. You are going to be that much closer to the hours required to get work even if that work will not be IFR multi-engine (or single-engine if it comes to that).

By the way, I haven't heard anything negative about Country Capital in my travels but other PPRuNe'rs may be more enlightened on that than me.:cool:

Willie Nelson
31st Aug 2002, 13:32
I do NOT agree with paying for ICUS as it contributes to the cost of achieving a successfull and worthwhile career in an already highly expensive industry. I have always felt this way, and still do.

OTOH, after reaching 1000 hours and having little chance of attaining any other multi-engine experience with the single engine companies I had worked for, I saw little other opportunity.

I then did minimal time on a sophistocated twin, and I believe it helped me obtain my current position, where the above no longer applies.

I do not believe that at such an early stage you will benefit, even though you might think it very exciting. No employer is going to give you a job flying their shiny (albeit very old) C402 unless you have at least 700+ hours, and most these days are lucky to be looking at a part time position on a Baron or Seneca at 1000 hours.

IMHO, the much smarter move would be to get a handful of hours on a C206 or C182, which you will more than likely start on.

In doing so, not only will you increase your hours, but you will also have COMMAND hours on a relevant type.

AHH......but the question of cost I hear you ask, if you are willing to travel to Tamworth, you are more than capable of getting to one of the (no doubt closer) drop zones and becoming involved, albeit temporarilly, in meatdumping.

Again, I do not have a lot of time for many skydivers, in many cases they are cowboys at best, who contribute little to the safer side of aviation, they do however, pay YOU to fly their SH$#BOXES and (at this stage) can still legally do so without an AOC even if only a private licence holder. The better setups will respect the difficult decisions that YOU will have to make, in addition to having a good social scene going on, which you may or may not choose to become involved in.

This may not be as entertaining as your little stint of ICUS but is the best commercial training consolodation you will find. You can spend time between loads reading the manual and learning a bit about a basic lightie, and getting the COMMAND decision time, which especially at this stage, you will no doubt find valuable.

I would suggest however, that again you keep even this sort of time to a minimum (eg. less than 100 hours) as many operators up north and in other parts will be aware of the typical cowboy setup of the skydiving operations and whilst they appreciate your time on type, they do not want you to have developed a cowboy mentality yourself (i.e. without the supervision of a Chief Pilot)

I do however, have a sneaking suspicion that many have already made up their minds on the ICUS issue. Be warned that when you finally achieve your first real job with 250 hours you will find a C182 quite a bit less exciting than a PA-31. Should you get stuck on one for another thousand hours and no-one is considering you for the companies PA-31 position inspite of your 100 hours ICUS :eek: don't get too upset.:D

There is nothing quite as useless as a meaningless maxim