PDA

View Full Version : ANZ Contingency fuel

xkoote
8th Oct 2022, 18:57
Hello everyone,

I'm a 777 flight crew, but a flight simmer at heart. I never dropped the hobby. Me and some buddies try and replicate as much as possible real world ops of the airlines we fly. We use PFPX which is a highly customizable dispatch software for flight simming use. Most of the time, we can find the data we need online to satisfy ourselves. (e.g. YouTube videos following real world flights, where the flight crew go over the flight planning). However, Air NZ is another story.

I was wondering if any of you out there can tell me;

- If ANZ is using statistical contingency nowadays or still the basic 5% of trip fuel. And if so, given the long routes flown across the pacific, if re-dispatching/re-filing is still performed to lessen the economic impact.
- Does ANZ use a static threshold time for ETOPS or is it dynamic? Where I fly, we use 420 NM for the 777. This would come in handy in formatting a profile for when we fly ANZ.

Also, completely aware of the nature of such documents, someone can have a widebody OFP lying around that they are willing to share.

Thanks in advance for even taking the time to read ....

Cheers,

Xander

donpizmeov
8th Oct 2022, 22:28
Hello everyone,

I'm a 777 flight crew, but a flight simmer at heart. I never dropped the hobby. Me and some buddies try and replicate as much as possible real world ops of the airlines we fly. We use PFPX which is a highly customizable dispatch software for flight simming use. Most of the time, we can find the data we need online to satisfy ourselves. (e.g. YouTube videos following real world flights, where the flight crew go over the flight planning). However, Air NZ is another story.

I was wondering if any of you out there can tell me;

- If ANZ is using statistical contingency nowadays or still the basic 5% of trip fuel. And if so, given the long routes flown across the pacific, if re-dispatching/re-filing is still performed to lessen the economic impact.
- Does ANZ use a static threshold time for ETOPS or is it dynamic? Where I fly, we use 420 NM for the 777. This would come in handy in formatting a profile for when we fly ANZ.

Also, completely aware of the nature of such documents, someone can have a widebody OFP lying around that they are willing to share.

Thanks in advance for even taking the time to read ....

Cheers,

Xander
A lot of companies use 3% cont fuel if a fuel diversion airport is close to the destination. And then on long haul and ultra long haul limit the cont fuel to 20min Max.
obviously need a fuel monitoring program, to do so.
Twins tend to become TOW limited on longer flights. So need to give up ZFW for fuel, as NZ and qf do when leaving bags behind on longer 787 flights. So restricting the Cont fuel gives a great ZFW available.

xkoote
9th Oct 2022, 12:23
Thanks for the reply. 20 minutes sounds reasonable. The reason I mentioned 5% was that it was the only percentage referenced in the NZ AIP's. But 3% would indeed be better. Where I work, we also have the 20-minute reserve. We use it when statistics don't yet support CONT 90, 95 or 99. For example after exiting COVID most routes went from CONT XX to 3%, 5% or 20 mins. for a while, before going back to statistical.
There is only mention of re-dispatching and 5% in NZ AIP though I suspect, their Ops Specs have more options.

Thanks again for the reply ...

DeltaT
9th Oct 2022, 19:15
eh? ZFW is the ZFW, it doesn't change. Its a structural limitation.

SixDemonBag
9th Oct 2022, 20:09
eh? ZFW is the ZFW, it doesn't change. Its a structural limitation.

you’re thinking of MZFW mate

ElZilcho
10th Oct 2022, 00:40
We don't use a time limit for max Cont Fuel. Each fleet has a minimum number (in KG's) or % of route fuel, whichever is greater. If weight becomes an issue, it can be reduced based on available en-route Airports... that's the simplistic answer anyway.
As for EDTO/ETOPS. Above 180 min wind is factored so the range circles aren't a static distance. Cargo fire suppression is also factored, 2 engines at Altitude, so you end up with 2 range circles.

xkoote
10th Oct 2022, 18:46
you’re thinking of MZFW mate
I'm sure he meant possible ZFW, payload limited to MTOW on a ULR. But yes, MZFW is MZFW.

xkoote
10th Oct 2022, 18:47
We don't use a time limit for max Cont Fuel. Each fleet has a minimum number (in KG's) or % of route fuel, whichever is greater. If weight becomes an issue, it can be reduced based on available en-route Airports... that's the simplistic answer anyway.
As for EDTO/ETOPS. Above 180 min wind is factored so the range circles aren't a static distance. Cargo fire suppression is also factored, 2 engines at Altitude, so you end up with 2 range circles.

Exactly the answer I was looking for. So it is dynamic. Thanks for that reply.