PDA

View Full Version : UK HEMS roster

haihio
6th Oct 2022, 13:29
Hello,

What is the typical UK Hems shift pattern for helicopter pilots?
Is everyone on a 4 on 4 off pattern?
Does that include touring positions as well?

nomorehelosforme
8th Oct 2022, 18:56
Probably best to ask your employer?

mcnab
9th Oct 2022, 21:21
Hello,

What is the typical UK Hems shift pattern for helicopter pilots?
Is everyone on a 4 on 4 off pattern?
Does that include touring positions as well?

Usually 4 on 4 off gives the employer max FTL time on 12 hr shifts, I worked this routine for years with 20 days leave. Usually hitting annual limit during the summer months if you get a lot of late jobs .....

haihio
10th Oct 2022, 20:38
Thanks

Nineteen84
12th Apr 2023, 06:43
Hoping some UK HEMS pilots can help with these questions...

How often do you get called out on the night shift?
Do the night shifts wear you down over time?
Does the novelty factor of flying HEMS wear off over time like any other job?
When it's quieter such as winter (so I've been told), does the waiting around bother you over time?

Thud_and_Blunder
12th Apr 2023, 11:36
Ask 20 pilots and you'll get 21 different answers.
- can't answer the first one as I've retired
- police 12-hour night shifts, 5 on 5 off, meant that you were ready for the sleep day when it rolled around. However, by the end of the days-off I was ready to get back to doing the job I loved. Same with time off when I was on HEMS, but night shifts were only just starting as I retired.
- it might not have been a 'novelty' factor by the end, but the fascination of the task and the amazing people I worked with (never, ever encountered a work ethic like it..) meant that I deeply regretted enforced retirement at age 60
- there can be a form of torpor that sets in toward the end of a long shift, but keeping yourself occupied (cleaning the aircraft, going over your training notes, helping out the medics with moulage and 'what-ifs?' meant that I was never bored. Occasionally under-aroused, to use the flight safety expression, but never bored.

gipsymagpie
13th Apr 2023, 07:17
Hoping some UK HEMS pilots can help with these questions...

How often do you get called out on the night shift?
Do the night shifts wear you down over time?
Does the novelty factor of flying HEMS wear off over time like any other job?
When it's quieter such as winter (so I've been told), does the waiting around bother you over time?
The number of times you get called out is highly variable. Probably the only thing you can say is it's usually less than the day/early shift. Usually.

I don't think the nights wear you down by default but it's dependent on what sort of shift you're talking about. If it's a true 12 hour night shift starting at around 1900 and going through to 0700 and you are expected to maintain relatively low response times, it can get quite fatiguing (the 0200-0600 but being the worst). You have to be careful to use sleep science to avoid sleep intertia (which is when you sleep for about 60 to 240 minutes, and wake up like a spaced out zombie). Having very good rest facilities is crucial so you can nap easily (Aircon, black out blinds, good beds). However if its actually a lates shift (eg starting at 1700 and going through to 0200 plus possible extensions) you can comfortably do that without too much fatigue. You also have the opportunity to get domestic stuff done in the day which is not necessarily possible if you have to sleep for a true 12 hour night shift.

So basically not all night shifts are the same. If you are going for interview you either need to find out before hand or ask the question about in the interview about what times the rostered day is, what is expected of you sleep wise (and what facilities there are) and what exactly what the roster is. The norm for any night/late roster is 4 on / 4 off (eg 4 days / 4 off / 4 nights / 4 off or 2 days / 2 nights / 4 off) but the flexibility of the FTL system actually means they are not the only way to do it. The huge elephant in the room with the 4 / 4 pattern is that it completely mucks up a lot of weekends (sometimes the whole weekend sometimes just one of the days). If you have family or a partner who doesn't work a shift pattern it can be quite disruptive. It's highly predictable but there are better ways of doing it (eg at least one UK Air Ambulance has a mix of 4 and 5 on/off which gives a regular 2 weekends on / 2 weekends off pattern). Also worth noting in any pattern that it's not really a full 4 off after night shifts (particularly the 12 hour ones) as the first day can be effectively written off as you might be trying to kick your body clock back into wack.

And as for your points about novelty factor and waiting around. As Thud already said - never gets boring, no 2 missions are the same and there's never boredom waiting around - just a lack of imagination on the part of the individual to use the time effectively. Best flying job.

13th Apr 2023, 13:46
Best flying job. Apart from SAR:ok::)​​​​​​​

MightyGem
13th Apr 2023, 19:12
Apart from SAR:ok::)
And Police. Prior to NPAS that is. :E​​​​​​​

ReefPilot
14th Apr 2023, 11:14
And Police. Prior to NPAS that is. :E

NPAS flying is still fantastic for the most part