PDA

View Full Version : Russia Loses Seat seat on the ICAO Council

ORAC
2nd Oct 2022, 22:45
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-not-re-elected-un-aviation-agencys-36-member-council-2022-10-01/

Russia loses U.N. aviation council seat in rebuke

MONTREAL, Oct 1 (Reuters) - Russia failed to win enough votes for re-election to the United Nation's aviation agency's governing council on Saturday, in a rebuke of Moscow for aviation-related actions taken after its invasion of Ukraine…..

https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-expelled-from-un-aviation-top-seat/

Russia expelled from seat at UN aviation agency

fdr
3rd Oct 2022, 01:43
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-not-re-elected-un-aviation-agencys-36-member-council-2022-10-01/

Russia loses U.N. aviation council seat in rebuke

MONTREAL, Oct 1 (Reuters) - Russia failed to win enough votes for re-election to the United Nation's aviation agency's governing council on Saturday, in a rebuke of Moscow for aviation-related actions taken after its invasion of Ukraine…..

https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-expelled-from-un-aviation-top-seat/

Russia expelled from seat at UN aviation agency

A fitting tribute to Putin.

So there are teeth after all

As a clarification, Russia was removed from the 36 member council. They are not expelled from ICAO as yet, however, that would seem to be a reasonable second step in the matter as:

they breached ICAO Annex 7 by re-registering foreign aircraft on their register without those aircraft having the registered owner remove the aircraft from the current register;
The breach of Annex 7 was made for the purpose of continuing illegal operation of aircraft.

Bksmithca
3rd Oct 2022, 03:23
I'd like to know what 80 members voted for Russia to maintain it membership

Big Pistons Forever
3rd Oct 2022, 05:01
Seems reasonable as the vast majority of Russian civil aviation will be effectively confined to flights inside Russian airspace for the foreseeable future, They have nothing to contribute to the world air transportation governance anymore so it is perfectly appropriate they be removed from the ability to influence ICAO decision making

Klauss
3rd Oct 2022, 05:31
Present actions of the Russian Federation in Ukraine are unacceptable, bad - just as the de-facto stealing of aircraft.

However, I think Russia shouldnīt be thrown out of ICAO - and, I would like them to re-gain their seat at the Council when the next election is up - donīt know when that is.

Size matters - Russia takes 8 hours to cross from one end to the other, much longer than any other State on earth. Suggest that they have know-how in flying that would be useful to the world, based on that fact alone.

K

Seems reasonable as the vast majority of Russian civil aviation will be effectively confined to flights inside Russian airspace for the foreseeable future, They have nothing to contribute to the world air transportation governance anymore so it is perfectly appropriate they be removed from the ability to influence ICAO decision making

DaveReidUK
3rd Oct 2022, 06:48
Present actions of the Russian Federation in Ukraine are unacceptable, bad - just as the de-facto stealing of aircraft.

However, I think Russia shouldnīt be thrown out of ICAO - and, I would like them to re-gain their seat at the Council when the next election is up - donīt know when that is.

Size matters - Russia takes 8 hours to cross from one end to the other, much longer than any other State on earth. Suggest that they have know-how in flying that would be useful to the world, based on that fact alone.

Don't write off Russia yet.

ICAO's Council membership ballot is done in 3 stages and only the results of the first 2 have so far been announced. Russia will be entitled to stand again in Part 3, which follows approximately 48 hours after Part 2 (ICAO Rules 56/57).

Edit: Part 3 of the election is scheduled for tomorrow, 4th October.

DaveReidUK
3rd Oct 2022, 09:18
AFAIK, the way individual countries have voted isn't published, so speculate away ...

fdr
3rd Oct 2022, 09:18
Size matters - Russia takes 8 hours to cross from one end to the other, much longer than any other State on earth. Suggest that they have know-how in flying that would be useful to the world, based on that fact alone. K

I had a car like that once. :}

Reminiscing about flying over Russia from one NDB to another, with about 8-10nm between waypoints, and with manually inserted WPTs in the INS, not sure that they add much to the art of flying. Their green painted hallways and hard plastic chairs where one passes time interminably to pass through crew immigration was so welcoming. A flight that went to Moscow and then a follow on flight to Washington DC was a clear image of who won what from the bad old days. Vladivostok and Petrapavlovsk were always fun to go to, Petra at least has spectacular scenery, stunning stuff. Both have fascinating graveyards of submarines, was pretty sobering to see how they treated their own troops and equipment.

Trying a weather deviation in Russian airspace in the 80's was an interesting affair, but on that they were not alone, thye did teach others about procedures, China was almost as difficult to fly into or over in the 80's. Today, China has some interesting aspects still, but there isn't any green paint, green hats and red stars anymore.

I think ICAO can do with a break from Russia for a while, while they decide whether they want to disregard wholesale ICAO Annex requirements in a state sponsored heist of aircraft.

Those countries that vote for Russia may find it makes a difference to their availability of lessor offers for airframes, why provide a service to people who are eminently happy with a country that disregards ICAO SARPs at the institutional level.

T28B
3rd Oct 2022, 12:01
I encourage you all to keep this discussion professional.
See the first P in PPRuNe.
Thank you in advance
T28B

Herod
3rd Oct 2022, 13:14
Point taken, T28B. Post deleted.

DaveReidUK
3rd Oct 2022, 17:01
Don't write off Russia yet.

ICAO's Council membership ballot is done in 3 stages and only the results of the first 2 have so far been announced. Russia will be entitled to stand again in Part 3, which follows approximately 48 hours after Part 2 (ICAO Rules 56/57).

Edit: Part 3 of the election is scheduled for tomorrow, 4th October.

ICAO has now confirmed that Russia is not seeking election under Part 3.

Big Pistons Forever
3rd Oct 2022, 19:46
Just another way Putin’s vanity project in the Ukraine will hurt ordinary Russians. Stand by for the crash a week Shyte show that was Russian aviation in the bad old days.

Kon2g
17th Oct 2022, 20:39
Nothing will happen about their ''seat'' in icao... :cool:

DaveReidUK
17th Oct 2022, 22:03
Nothing will happen about their ''seat'' in icao... :cool:

OK, unfortunate thread title - it's not about Russia's membership of ICAO, it's about their seat on the ICAO Council, which they have indeed now lost.

But that much will be obvious to anyone who has been reading the thread.

T28B
18th Oct 2022, 15:03
OK, unfortunate thread title - it's not about Russia's membership of ICAO, it's about their seat on the ICAO Council, which they have indeed now lost.
I have updated the threat title. Does that clear it up sufficiently?

DaveReidUK
18th Oct 2022, 21:11
I have updated the threat title. Does that clear it up sufficiently?

Perfectly, thank you.