PDA

View Full Version : IR (R)

Captain320U
2nd Oct 2022, 22:15
People what do you think about Instrument rating restricted IR(R), I am currently building hours towards CPL and plan to do IR (A) later down the line. I've got over 100 hrs total time and about 35-40 ish hours PIC time and currently also hold night rating. I am thinking of attaching IR (R) to my licence in order for me to get some instrument time and get exposed to some instrument flying early on. I know it is not full IR and privileges are restricted but is it worth considering? I spoke to couple of instructors at my ATO but they don't recommend it as they say it is "waste of time and money if you intend to do full IR later on" Any suggestions or comment on the above?

Beaker_
3rd Oct 2022, 06:31
You'll need 100 hrs PIC time anyway for your CPL course, taking you to around 160 hrs total time; roughly where you want to be for your CPL and IR. So any time/money spent on this over and on top will be wasted, I agree.

rudestuff
3rd Oct 2022, 07:26
Normally i would say get the IR(R). It will teach you everything you need to know for the 'full' IR - it's practially the same flight test, just done with less hours. Once you have the 50 hours cross country you can upgrade it via CBIR. Having the IR first will save you a fortune and knock 10 hours off the CPL course. Unfortunately you're already well over budget with the dual hours to make significant savings, but it's still worth running the numbers compared to a regular sim-based route.