PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into Flying... What to do...

jasonrf
1st Oct 2022, 12:32
Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to read and catch up with everything that is going on in Australia with the new wages and EBAS and work/life balances etc yet I think it's best to ask her what the consensus is. Weather to get into flying or not.

I have recently moved to Aus and still need to convert my Licence over so will be a bit of a road ahead of me.
In the meantime I got a job at one of the big mining gigs working 6on/6off (locally not FIFO). Get heaps of benefits with them and getting around 130k.

Would this be a good wage? Or do you all think there's more growth and room in flying

My Previous experience: 7 years in an airline - FO - E190 flying - 4500hr TT with 3500hrs on Embraer jets

morno
1st Oct 2022, 12:49
You’d probably be a shoe in for Alliance, but even as a captain, don’t expect much more than what you currently get moving dirt. I’m assuming you would have to start out as an FO, in which case you are going to take a big pay drop.

jasonrf
1st Oct 2022, 12:58
You’d probably be a shoe in for Alliance, but even as a captain, don’t expect much more than what you currently get moving dirt. I’m assuming you would have to start out as an FO, in which case you are going to take a big pay drop.

​​​​​​​Yeah the Alliance payscale from what I've read isn't great at all.
Im in Perth thus would Cobham be a better fit?

jasonrf
1st Oct 2022, 14:03
Network be similar to fifo money hey? I think I'd rather fly than go back to drilling and I was with Rio and it sucked after 6 years...

Yeah thankfully I'm in the Ops Center so not going to site. Also working 6 days and getting 6 off has been a nice fresh change

Australopithecus
1st Oct 2022, 22:06
I would think you’d be working more days at a flying job for less money, and it would take you a very long time to break even. Real pay in aviation has been going backwards for quite awhile now, and will never again be as worthwhile on an effort:reward basis.

Zeta_Reticuli
1st Oct 2022, 22:34
Yeah thankfully I'm in the Ops Center so not going to site. Also working 6 days and getting 6 off has been a nice fresh change
That is a hard choice. There isnt many jobs as good as the ops centre. I thought they were changing the roster to 4 on 4 off though? Still good, compared to most other jobs out there.