PDA

View Full Version : North Weald Flight Training - anyone flying with them?

SQUAWKIDENT
22nd Sep 2022, 20:51
Folks,

Have any of you flown (or are currently flying) with North Weald Flight Training? I emailed them earlier in the week for information but so far - no reply.

I'll probably try ringing them at the weekend but thought I'd ask here first before making a decision as to whether I should spend money with them.

I have a lapsed PPL and want to get back in the air. I live in East London so Stapleford and North Weald are the closest to home. I have discounted Stapleford but really like the look (and history) of North Weald.

I did search PPRUNE but couldn't find any recent info on the company.

Any advice or info would be most gratefully received!

Cheers,

Adam
SQUAWKIDENT

SoftwareDev
27th Sep 2022, 13:24
I'm nearing the end of my PPL with them. The airfield itself is very nice and has a lot of life about it at weekends with some interesting aircraft. Pretty normal to be in the circuit with a Spitfire. The main runway 20 and 02 is long and wide. The approach on 02 can be a bit tricky with strong updrafts from some trees.
If it isn't too busy then the radio service is usually pretty relaxed and casual.
North Weald Flight Training is ok. The current fuel surcharge is £15 per hour on top of the quoted prices on their website. Some instructors are LAPL only.
The customer service could be better. You honestly would be best booking a trial flight on their website then discussing your situation with the assigned instructor. Most of the instructors do seem to be very professional and friendly.
The planes are varied. I have only been flying the 152s. The standard of each varies wildly from one that is more and more keeps breaking on and isn't being fixed, and one that is immaculate.
And even though you are spending 200+ per hour, they charge you for tea and coffee and even water!
Once I have my license, I will be getting booked in with Stapleford for night rating and maybe just an hour with one of their instructors to get a feel for the place.
I would recommend giving North Weald a go just because it is such a nice historic airfield.
Circuit height is 1200ft on QNH. Stansted is at 1500ft of which NW is just on the very edge of that class D.

ahwalk01
28th Sep 2022, 08:59
I've used IP Aviation at North Weald for simulator recurrent - not tried other providers but it's a nice airfield.

Alex.

SQUAWKIDENT
28th Sep 2022, 22:34
Thanks very much for the info that's really useful. I'll give them a ring this week and arrange a flight.

Cheers

Adam