PDA

View Full Version : Her Majesty's funeral

19th Sep 2022, 17:47
Today showed our Armed Forces at their absolute best and everyone involved should be very proud of their performance and contribution.

I would like to particularly praise the Bearer Party - they had such a huge responsibility and were under such close scrutiny for so much of the proceedings - very well done indeed gents.

ETOPS
19th Sep 2022, 18:01
Hugely impressive farewell to our late Queen. Think we should be very proud of our Nation for getting through this difficult and emotional time with such dignity.

MPN11
19th Sep 2022, 18:08
100% excellent, and BZ to the Bearer Party and the RN on the Gun Carriage. A fantastic farewell to a fantastic Monarch.

But, oh, what a physical ordeal that must have been for most of those those taking part … especially those not in the first flush of youth. Perhaps a little bit over-ambitious?

Dan Gerous
19th Sep 2022, 18:12
More praise for the Bearer Party, I thought the Navy on the gun carriage were impressive and I may be biased being Scottish, but the massed band leaving Wellington Barracks were incredible and what the folk in the church must have been thinking as they heard that approaching. We may have problems in this country, but we know how to do ceremony. Well done all the Military Personnel involved.

charliegolf
19th Sep 2022, 18:36
Bearer Party. Was the officer sporting a pip or a crown? If the former, what a responsibility! What a great job those lads did- over and over.

CG

WB627
19th Sep 2022, 18:44
Today showed our Armed Forces at their absolute best and everyone involved should be very proud of their performance and contribution.

I would like to particularly praise the Bearer Party - they had such a huge responsibility and were under such close scrutiny for so much of the proceedings - very well done indeed gents.

They did themselves proud, they did their families proud, they did their Regiment proud, they did their country proud and most important they did their Queen proud. One would hope their company commander will stand them a few well deserved beers tonight.

Bill Macgillivray
19th Sep 2022, 19:05
Praise to all Service personnel, as usual and expected you were excellent!

RetiredBA/BY
19th Sep 2022, 19:16
Agree, the bearer party was truly outstanding amongst many other superb contributions to this wonderful ,albeit sad, event.
I do hope they will be recognized by more than a few beers !
The Elizabeth medal perhaps ?

meleagertoo
19th Sep 2022, 19:16
What makes me so thoroughly, utterly proud is these guys are't heroes, they're nothing at all special.
They're just our normal Servicemen doing their normal jobs.
Or rather doing jobs they never imagined they'd be called upon to do until last week, yet they did it immaculately nonetheless.

That's Britain's Armed Forces for you!
Thank God we continue to have people like this!

BZ, the lot of them, and again! Bravo Zulu.

God Save the King.

A Pandy
19th Sep 2022, 19:23
Watched it on the BBC app here in Tokyo while on a layover.
The whole ceremony showed the world Britain at its best. The weight of history and continuity was truly remarkable. For all the service personnel involved, you did us proud and you are a credit to the nation. It was a moment in history that none of us will ever forget.

GeeRam
19th Sep 2022, 19:37
Watched it on the BBC app here in Tokyo while on a layover.
The whole ceremony showed the world Britain at its best. The weight of history and continuity was truly remarkable. For all the service personnel involved, you did us proud and you are a credit to the nation. It was a moment in history that none of us will ever forget.

BBC are saying that 5.1 billion people watched it, some 63% of the worlds population, and it is the now the largest single event watched/streamed in history.

MENELAUS
19th Sep 2022, 19:37
Can’t agree more with the foregoing comments. And given that the bearer party were apparently not that long returned from Iraq, an incredible effort.
No pressure on the Queens’ Piper to get that final lament right. Outstanding, for a relatively young Pipe Major.

Chugalug2
19th Sep 2022, 20:11
A belated Amen to everyone who has rightly offered special praise for the Queen's Company Grenadier Guards bearers. I lost count of the number of times they bore the coffin from gun carriage to cafalque and vice versa, and finally up the precipitous steps of St Georges Chapel. All done perfectly. Bravo gentlemen. It seems almost invidious though to pick out any one particular unit in a spectacle that was both complex, demanding, and a fitting tribute to a Commander in Chief and Monarch. So, to everyone involved in whatever role, BZs to you all! Well done!

A query, that I am certain will be answered with authority by our knowledgeable experts, about the Abbey receiving line. There were two ladies dressed in WWII type Khaki uniforms saluting arriving heads of state and government at the door. Would I be right in supposing them to be members of the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry? If so, I have seen them in the Remembrance Day Cenotaph march past, presumably in tribute to the very brave women agents of the WWII SOE who were enlisted into their organisation to provide some cover should they be captured after being dropped into enemy territory. I see from their web page they are on the Army list but not part of the Army (a very British fudge!) :-

https://www.fany.org.uk/about-us

They always seemed to march past as the massed bands played the march The Liberators. Coincidence or not, it seemed most appropriate.

MightyGem
19th Sep 2022, 20:18
An outstanding effort by all the Services involved. :ok:

Video Mixdown
19th Sep 2022, 20:31
A moving and immaculately performed ceremony. That final march to Windsor Great Park and up the Long Walk to the Castle looked like hard work!

Union Jack
19th Sep 2022, 20:36
Bearer Party. Was the officer sporting a pip or a crown? If the former, what a responsibility! What a great job those lads did- over and over.

CG
Pip! Pip! :ok:

Jack

Confusious
19th Sep 2022, 20:37
The unsung heroes, our intelligence and security services should also be given due credit for what must have been an intricate and complex operation.

First_In_Last_Out
19th Sep 2022, 20:58
Had the honour of being present today and thought all colours of all arms of our King’s forces did our former Commander-in-Chief the greatest of services.

MAN777
19th Sep 2022, 21:35
Quite simply "OUTSTANDING" Guys & Girls

chaps1954
19th Sep 2022, 21:54
Simply wonderful, I think there was so much training and work done by every single person from the lowest/youngest to the very very top, as was already said that
climb upto the castle at Winsor looked to be a real energy sapper and done without a drink

BBK
19th Sep 2022, 22:12
Agree with all of the above. Huge credit to all those taking part but especially the bearer party. A fitting and dignified send off for Her Majesty.

langleybaston
19th Sep 2022, 22:18
Stunned. Never in my 85 years have I been so impressed, inspired and proud to be British.

If I am exhausted by watching, what must be the feeling of the participants, from King Charles to the unsung security forces who delivered an incident free day which will echo down the years.

My most sincere thanks to all.

cavuman1
19th Sep 2022, 22:39
As a Colonist - but confirmed Anglophile - I must say that the proceedings were magnificent and without parallel. As the Queen's casket was being lowered into its resting place, I wept the good, honest, healing tears of genuine bereavement. We shall not see her like again.

- Ed

Two's in
19th Sep 2022, 22:53

CG

That impressive young man is a 2nd Lt in the Queens Company, 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards. He has a single "pip" correctly known as a Bath Star. He is commanding the 8 NCO's, ranging from Sergeant to Guardsman (Private). As important as his role is, he is being ably guided and supported by the backbone of the British Army, the Company Sergeant-Major (Warrant Officer Class 2). The entire funeral over the last few days has been probably one of the best "Purple" displays of collaboration, professionalism and precision you will see in a lifetime.

ETOPS
19th Sep 2022, 23:10
2nd Lt in the Queens Company, 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards.

The old quote about "Policemen looking younger these days" could equally apply to this fine officer.

dangermouse
19th Sep 2022, 23:35
Those soldiers, other ranks and officer, deserve every beer and accolade they recieve for the magnificent duty they performed today, a phenomenal performance that the world should be in awe of

Gents if I ever meet one of you the drinks are on me, you must be phenomenonaly proud of the service you did to 'the boss', bless you

DM

​​​​

BBadanov
20th Sep 2022, 01:26
Those soldiers, other ranks and officer, deserve every beer and accolade they recieve for the magnificent duty they performed today, a phenomenal performance that the world should be in awe of Gents if I ever meet one of you the drinks are on me, you must be phenomenonaly proud of the service you did to 'the boss', bless you
DM ​​​​

Indeed Dave. Was absolutely fantastic, even from this side of the world.

tartare
20th Sep 2022, 02:23
Bowed heads.
Military standards that should otherwise be held high, laid flat on the ground in respect.
Reversed arms.
Muffled drums.
So many symbols of solemnity - it was moving to watch.

vne165
20th Sep 2022, 02:59
It was truly magnificent.
I can't imagine any other nation pulling it off with such dignity and aplomb, coupled with a complete absence of flummery, glitz or glamour.
Well done to the UK, in particular the various armed forces.

PlasticCabDriver
20th Sep 2022, 05:27
And yet despite all the pomp and splendour, it was the Queen’s horse and the two grooms curtseying on the way up to Windsor that set me off.

The Oberon
20th Sep 2022, 06:37
I would not disagree with a single word that has been written above but I also think that the display in Edinburgh was equally impressive. The QCS bearer party were immaculate and didn't put a foot wrong.

Downwind.Maddl-Land
20th Sep 2022, 06:38
Concur all of the above but, not wishing to detract from the accolades being directed at the Bearer Party whatsoever, here's to the Matelots, Squaddies and Erks that we all know were scurrying around behind the scenes, fetching, carrying and doing their superiors' bidding, out of sight and TV coverage but equally responsible for a magnificent display of pageantry. Have some time off; - there did you enjoy it? Well done all doesn't cover the half of it.

paco
20th Sep 2022, 06:55
All the above and more - as a Canadian, well done to the RCMP (and their horses) as well.

mahogany bob
20th Sep 2022, 07:17
WEARING UNIFORM

Prince Andrew -with his obnoxious character and dubious lifestyle -and Prince Harry- role model,hero , Invictus inspiration but who has let down his many supporters with his defection to California - are both top of the royal unpopularity stakes.

BUT

They have both put their lives on the the line on active war service - Prince Andrew in the Falklands flying choppers ,distinctly hairy - and Prince Harry flying the amazing Apache in Afghanistan.

Not allowing them to wear their uniforms during most of the funeral occasions , whilst many others ,wha had never seen meaningful active service , were marching in uniform with a chestful of medals , left a bad taste in my mouth !

I think Royal Protocol erred in this case!

Hughes500
20th Sep 2022, 07:41
well the whole thing was difficult to watch due to a moist eye or two. A wonderful boss !

charliegolf
20th Sep 2022, 08:07
Not allowing them to wear their uniforms during most of the funeral occasions , whilst many others ,wha had never seen meaningful active service , were marching in uniform with a chestful of medals , left a bad taste in my mouth !

Agreed. A PR round in the foot.

CG

dervish
20th Sep 2022, 08:10
Everyone did a splendid job.

The King looked utterly bereft at Windsor. I wonder if he'd rather have had the option of "funeral private, no flowers please, donations to charity".

Of the THREE bearer parties, the first had next to no time to prepare. It is reported that one of the lads was only a month out of basic training. And what an honour for the young Fijian soldier. He will be lauded in his homeland 'til his dying day. Unless he marries an American actress.

But didn't the Scottish actress do well in Edinburgh? (Watch "Rob Roy") When you're singing alone there's no room for error. And the Queen's piper too.

Mahogany Bob. Fully agree. There is a time to set differences and protocol aside.

Trumpet trousers
20th Sep 2022, 08:27
Possible Walt?
Did anyone see the bearded guy on the BBC coverage with a sand coloured beret adorned with an RAF other ranks SD cap badge?

Apart from that, I thought the BBC coverage was excellent, Huw Edwards was on top of his game, and Kirsty Young excelled I thought, and the emotion was clear to see as she signed off last night.

20th Sep 2022, 08:29
Her Majesty made the decisions about Andrew and Harry so why question her on that score? Her funeral = her rules.

Poor 'life choices' by both took them out of the 'working royals' group so it is quite proper they were not uniformed for the events.

DODGYOLDFART
20th Sep 2022, 08:40
Her Majesty made the decisions about Andrew and Harry so why question her on that score? Her funeral = her rules.

Poor 'life choices' by both took them out of the 'working royals' group so it is quite proper they were not uniformed for the events.

Could not agree more and don't forget Harry's book has yet to see the light of day. Add to that the rumour that Megan was using a hidden microphone during a walkabout. IMHO if you shake hands with that women you need to "count your fingers afterwards"

teeteringhead
20th Sep 2022, 09:00
Add to that the rumour that Megan was using a hidden microphone during a walkabout.

Gosh - a Royal Prince marrying an American divorcee.

Who'd have thought anything could go wrong................

GeeRam
20th Sep 2022, 09:07

Indeed.
Plus, Harry was happy to further break protocol with the holding hands routine as well while walking behind the coffin, which would have been even worse doing that, had he actually been in uniform...!!

dervish
20th Sep 2022, 09:26
Everyone's entitled to their opinion and I don't want to argue the point.

My view is that, setting protocol aside (which the King did for Andrew and Harry for the vigil), both served valiantly and as far as I know neither disgraced their uniform while doing so. Plenty others have, and still wear theirs in retirement. Double standards?

Having said that I could be wrong about Andrew. I remember the Vicki Hodge episode, although he wasn't wearing his uniform. In fact, he wasn't wearing anything at all.

GeeRam
20th Sep 2022, 09:57
That impressive young man is a 2nd Lt in the Queens Company, 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards. He has a single "pip" correctly known as a Bath Star. He is commanding the 8 NCO's, ranging from Sergeant to Guardsman (Private). As important as his role is, he is being ably guided and supported by the backbone of the British Army, the Company Sergeant-Major (Warrant Officer Class 2).

CSM Dean Jones.

One of the Guardsman was a 19 year old from Jersey who as won the Lieutenant-Governor's medal in 2018 when in the ACF.

The pall bearers for Churchill's funeral in '65 were all awarded the BEM, so hopefully these lads will be suitably honoured for a job well-done.

charliegolf
20th Sep 2022, 10:06
The, "This is how we do it here, and public opinion isn't going to change us.", has worked since Q Victoria (and before). Good luck with that in the social media age. HMTQ got it spectacularly wrong with Diana- and she knew it. Now that the Queen is gone, the republicans will stick their heads above the parapet, here and abroad. I am not saying go all Facebook and Twitter, but read the flippin room!

CG

ACW599
20th Sep 2022, 10:44
It seemed to me that yesterday was a perfect illustration of what's meant by the phrase "military precision". Superb.

There are some lovely images on the BBC News web site today. But one that isn't there, and one which I thought was immensely powerful, was the C-17 on approach to Northolt with all four landing lights blazing against the grey backdrop of the cloudbase. Did anyone else find that particularly poignant, and does anyone less technophobic than me know how to get a screen grab of it?

gcal
20th Sep 2022, 10:54
It was a state funeral planned and revised over decades. The coffin was made 30 years ago.
The exemplary showing by the armed forces, some of them the most junior in rank, was the icing on the cake.
It was obvious the late monarch had an input into some of the proceedings, as is required of the monarch in their life time.
That minor members of her household and other, not so notable people, were included says a lot about the planning.

Krystal n chips
20th Sep 2022, 10:54
I think the most poignant photo of the late Queen was Her sitting alone at the funeral of Prince Philp...whilst members of the Gov't were getting legless the night before.

Chugalug2
20th Sep 2022, 11:03
The, "This is how we do it here, and public opinion isn't going to change us.", has worked since Q Victoria (and before). Good luck with that in the social media age. HMTQ got it spectacularly wrong with Diana- and she knew it. Now that the Queen is gone, the republicans will stick their heads above the parapet, here and abroad. I am not saying go all Facebook and Twitter, but read the flippin room!CG
Well, of course I am an aged fossil that has little time for 'Social Media', other than PPRuNe (if indeed it so qualifies), but there is a risk to pandering to it just as there was in pandering to TV in the 60's. The only authority that will change things is that of the British people. Unless and until it votes by Referendum or General Election to change from a Constitutional Monarchy to the UK being a Republic then the throne is safe. It has seen far more rocky times than this.

George V was so concerned about the possibility of a communist rebellion here that he condemned the Russian Royal Family to its terrible fate. His mistake perhaps, but Queen Elizabeth II had the measure of her people if not her media and was, I would suggest, the greatest monarch we ever had (though threatened now with the threat of her acquiring that very title). It was never her style and is best forgotten to my mind. A very hard act to follow, but all the more reason to support HM King Charles III now in every way possible.

A reminder that Edward VII was the despair of his mother, whose long reign meant that he too inherited the throne late in life. He surprised all by making it his purpose to build the Entente Cordiale with our dear French friends (well, they were then!).

stevef
20th Sep 2022, 11:11
I think the most poignant photo of the late Queen was Her sitting alone at the funeral of Prince Philp...whilst members of the Gov't were getting legless the night before.

Quite agree. What better display of leading by example during the Covid social distancing period. A consummate professional in public even though her heart must have been breaking.

Expatrick
20th Sep 2022, 11:32
It seemed to me that yesterday was a perfect illustration of what's meant by the phrase "military precision". Superb.

There are some lovely images on the BBC News web site today. But one that isn't there, and one which I thought was immensely powerful, was the C-17 on approach to Northolt with all four landing lights blazing against the grey backdrop of the cloudbase. Did anyone else find that particularly poignant, and does anyone less technophobic than me know how to get a screen grab of it?

Any good?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/706x487/img_20220920_133139_0f6f592002eb1ae3096c427a39e103d2f685ed0c .jpg

NutLoose
20th Sep 2022, 11:37
stevef
As was that of King Charles and the rest of the family, grieving in public during the last 10 days, but carrying on regardless.

ACW599
20th Sep 2022, 12:24
That's brilliant -- very many thanks!

AnglianAV8R
20th Sep 2022, 12:45
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/803x452/screenshot_635__6807644844ddb8d790dd0085fbb69e268a8a8dda.png

6Z3
20th Sep 2022, 13:50
Actually for me, it was the oh so gentle touch down that did it for me.

paco
20th Sep 2022, 14:12
145 countries in the world celebrate independence from it.

And many want to join

toratoratora
20th Sep 2022, 15:16
145 countries in the world celebrate independence from it.

And many want to join

Yep-the Commonwealth now includes two countries that were never part of the British Empire. Perhaps Furbpilot can explain that?

Jimlad1
20th Sep 2022, 15:18
Given so much of what we have seen was planned and seamlessly delivered by the Civil Service, it is also a gentle reminder of just how capable the Civil Servant can be.

langleybaston
20th Sep 2022, 16:00
That impressive young man is a 2nd Lt in the Queens Company, 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards. He has a single "pip" correctly known as a Bath Star. He is commanding the 8 NCO's, ranging from Sergeant to Guardsman (Private). As important as his role is, he is being ably guided and supported by the backbone of the British Army, the Company Sergeant-Major (Warrant Officer Class 2). The entire funeral over the last few days has been probably one of the best "Purple" displays of collaboration, professionalism and precision you will see in a lifetime.

Help please on detail : not pedantry but trying to keep up with what I once knew................ I could only identify the right flank bearers: a Gdsn, a LCpl and two LSgts. I looked hard for any evidence of rank on those with right arms obscured, could see none, but equally could see no SNCO [Gold Sgt or CSgt] sashes on them. The small detail differences on SNCO cuffs and collars also seemed absent. However I am struggling with cataracts awaiting intervention.

This curiosity detracts not one iota from my admiration of the bearers' devotion to task: like many, many others I willed the coffin up the steps without incident. I remember Churchill's bearers, in greatcoat order, struggling.

20th Sep 2022, 16:10
I felt an affinity for the Bearer party having been a pall bearer for a the military funeral of a colleague who met with an unfortunate accident a good few years ago.

He was a big lad in a heavy coffin and the route from the hearse to the church and thence to the grave was tricky one - nothing like the distance those fine lads carried Her Majesty, but intense all the same with the pressure of military colleagues and the family watching, a huge incentive not to bugger it up.

The raising and lowering of the coffin and getting it smoothly onto and off the shoulders beats a workout in the gym any day.

A fantastic job by the lads yesterday - even when the service was over they had to go down to the crypt/vault apparently for the final positioning of Her Majesty with her family.

Kiltrash
20th Sep 2022, 16:52
Militarily a fine show all round

oldmansquipper
20th Sep 2022, 17:00
Possible Walt?
Did anyone see the bearded guy on the BBC coverage with a sand coloured beret adorned with an RAF other ranks SD cap badge?

Apart from that, I thought the BBC coverage was excellent, Huw Edwards was on top of his game, and Kirsty Young excelled I thought, and the emotion was clear to see as she signed off last night.

TT. The whole day was enthralling, the military participants were all magnificent and the planning and execution of ‘London Bridge’ (remember practising bits of it with a dust cart at Benson back in the 70s - it’s stood the test of time, for sure) was superb. The hundreds of thousands lining the route from London to Windsor quite took my breath away. The silent majority showing great respect. Awesome.

The retiring pipers will stay in my memory forever…as will our gracious Queen. (Thank you ma’am)

Re: WALT? - I did see, but he(?) Couldn’t possibly be a Walt. It was probably someone parachuted in from the ‘Beeb’ and who has been in the corporate dressing up box. Didn’t see much of KY, having been bored by HE earlier, I watched the ITV presentation which was excellent.

However, I can’t really agree with your assessment of the Beeb coverage. IMHO, They continued their week long banality in their evening coverage post funeral. When interviewing people watching events around the country, we were treated to the ‘how do you feel?’ question constantly. Particularly irritating was the obvious seeking out of minority groups….including BAME, ‘Pride’ members, mixed race families and a pair of anti monarchy lesbians. (The ‘Walt’ abomination was part of their Veterans piece, IIRC) Not very representative of the hundreds of thousands who were there, lining the streets.

All in the interests of balance the Beeb might say.

Agenda bending spin, I would say. (Just my opinion, you understand)

MPN11
20th Sep 2022, 17:05
Oh, the BBC coverage was abysmal IMO. Camera jumping from here to there, commentator now knowing who/why/what before the director jumped camera shots again. Or alternatively long periods of silence with no commentary, due to inadequate pre-briefing.

Video Mixdown
20th Sep 2022, 17:15
Oh, the BBC coverage was abysmal IMO. Camera jumping from here to there, commentator now knowing who/why/what before the director jumped camera shots again. Or alternatively long periods of silence with no commentary, due to inadequate pre-briefing.
To be fair it was announced before the ceremony started that there would deliberately be little or no commentary to allow viewers to listen to proceedings uninterrupted.

diginagain
20th Sep 2022, 17:20
You have to feel for the member of the Bearer Party who had to march from Westminster Hall to the Abbey with his hat on back-to-front.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/554x1199/fdb6nixx0aee1wv_863a6bd913e0b9f14779dd358f1c76def347f8f8.jpg

Diff Tail Shim
20th Sep 2022, 17:34
WEARING UNIFORM

Prince Andrew -with his obnoxious character and dubious lifestyle -and Prince Harry- role model,hero , Invictus inspiration but who has let down his many supporters with his defection to California - are both top of the royal unpopularity stakes.

BUT

They have both put their lives on the the line on active war service - Prince Andrew in the Falklands flying choppers ,distinctly hairy - and Prince Harry flying the amazing Apache in Afghanistan.

I think not. I have campaign medals and been shot at, but am no longer in the service so cannot wear a uniform. Loads of people in the armed services have seen meaningful service in hot op areas since 1990, being away for long times in **** holes, so I do disagree.

MPN11
20th Sep 2022, 17:52
To be fair it was announced before the ceremony started that there would deliberately be little or no commentary to allow viewers to listen to proceedings uninterrupted.
The Ceremony? Fair comment.
And the other hours of coverage? The arrival of dignitaries, the marching columns and all the rest of the day’s intense activity?

WB627
20th Sep 2022, 18:00
The responsibility for ensuring that the commemoration went according to plan was the responsibility of The Garrison Sergeant Major

Garrison Sergeant Major (http://trooping-the-colour.co.uk/gsm/index.htm)

And "Vern" was the man on Monday

Garrison Sergeant Major (http://trooping-the-colour.co.uk/gsm/index.htm)

Very well done GSM Stokes

reds & greens
20th Sep 2022, 18:06
Nearly 40yrs, light blue through and through, but total (and I do mean TOTAL) respect for the purple combination of pure brilliance on display.

Finningley Boy
20th Sep 2022, 19:30
Stunned. Never in my 85 years have I been so impressed, inspired and proud to be British.

If I am exhausted by watching, what must be the feeling of the participants, from King Charles to the unsung security forces who delivered an incident free day which will echo down the years.

My most sincere thanks to all.
This was very much my feeling, I sat and watched it all from about 10.00hrs through to the completion of the BBC live coverage. Like you say, I was getting fatigue just watching it all, to have participated I can't imagine how I'd have managed. From lining the route to being in the procession, it certainly concentrated my mind. I particularly thought of the King and Princess Anne and others of that age group, to have marched back in full ceremonial uniform... or being one of the Pallbearers?

FB

langleybaston
20th Sep 2022, 22:15
But is it kosher?

It is almost beyond belief. Collateral, anybody?

Senior Pilot
20th Sep 2022, 22:33
But is it kosher?

It is almost beyond belief. Collateral, anybody?

From some quick research it would appear this is a fake: the shape and cut of the bearskin would preclude the possibility of it being put on backwards.

Back to the thread topic…….

mahogany bob
21st Sep 2022, 05:54
DTS

I think not. I have campaign medals and been shot at, but am no longer in the service so cannot wear a uniform. Loads of people in the armed services have seen meaningful service in hot op areas since 1990, being away for long times in **** holes, so I do disagree.
Can retired officers wear their uniform UK?

Per DAFI 36-2903, February 2020 with updates: Retired Personnel. -- Retirees may wear the authorized uniform prescribed at the date of member's retirement or any of the uniforms authorized for current active duty personnel, including the dress uniforms.

Are YOU confused or am I ?

As I read it.

If you still have a uniform
it still fits?
you are able to march

You CAN wear it on parade?

cheekychimp
21st Sep 2022, 07:00
DTS

Can retired officers wear their uniform UK?

Per DAFI 36-2903, February 2020 with updates: Retired Personnel. -- Retirees may wear the authorized uniform prescribed at the date of member's retirement or any of the uniforms authorized for current active duty personnel, including the dress uniforms.

Are YOU confused or am I ?

As I read it.

If you still have a uniform
it still fits?
you are able to march

You CAN wear it on parade?
I don't think American dress regulations have much bearing on a Royal funeral,.

mahogany bob
21st Sep 2022, 07:12
Sorry - I dialled in dress regs UK on Google!!
Which shows that one has to be very careful when using internet info!

cooperplace
21st Sep 2022, 07:35

Agree re the bearer party, great job. Chosen to all have the same height?

diginagain
21st Sep 2022, 07:47
From some quick research it would appear this is a fake: the shape and cut of the bearskin would preclude the possibility of it being put on backwards.

Back to the thread topic…….
It's gen, and if you've access to a recording of the event you'll be able to see our chum with his titfer on backwards.

Asturias56
21st Sep 2022, 07:52
"Agree re the bearer party, great job. Chosen to all have the same height?"

I've ehard that they have TWO bearer parties nominated at any one time - chosen on height, unflappability and strength obviously - they keep in shape "just in case"

Wensleydale
21st Sep 2022, 08:31
AP 1358, CHAP 1 Page 9 of 21 AL17

0117. Occasions when No 1 Service Dress may be worn. Officers on the Retired and Reserve Lists, Royal Auxiliary Air Force officers and ex officers who are permitted to retain their rank may wear uniform on the following occasions: a. When attending: (1) Investitures and Royal Garden Parties. (2) State ceremonial occasions. (3) Parades in an official capacity, in connection with the celebration of the Sovereign’s birthday. (4) Their own wedding or other military weddings when the sponsor requests the wearing of uniform. (5) When attending formal Service functions. b. When participating in an official capacity, in: (1) Non-Service parades. (2) War Memorial services and associated parades. c. When inspecting or visiting: (1) RAuxAF units in an official capacity. (2) Units of the Combined Cadet Force (CCF) of the Air Training Corps (ATC) on behalf of the Ministry of Defence or Territorial and Auxiliary Forces Associations. d. When appointed for service with the ATC (the rank badges to be worn are those appropriate to the ATC appointment). e. When on duty as officials duly appointed by the Ministry of Defence. f. When holding the appointments of ADC to Her Majesty’s Governor General or Governor. g. When holding the appointment of Lord Lieutenant or Deputy Lord Lieutenant of a county, High Sheriff or Sheriff and discharging the duties of that appointment. (Lieutenancy insignia may not be worn on RAF dress but entitled RAF flying badges may be worn on the Lieutenancy dress). Wearing the Uniform of Voluntary Organisations.

langleybaston
21st Sep 2022, 08:56
It's gen, and if you've access to a recording of the event you'll be able to see our chum with his titfer on backwards.

Access is easy on youtube and for the life of me I cannot agree with you.

Question: what rank is "our chum".?

Comment: he has a bearer behind him, and a SNCO or WO very close beside/ behind. There was every opportunity to put any error right. The bearers were not under arms.
ARRSE, who one would expect to get excited, appear to have no visibility.

Please provide an enlargement: one would expect to see a white plume/ no white plume disparity in the party.

diginagain
21st Sep 2022, 09:11
Access is easy on youtube and for the life of me I cannot agree with you.

Question: what rank is "our chum".?

Comment: he has a bearer behind him, and a SNCO or WO very close beside/ behind. There was every opportunity to put any error right. The bearers were not under arms.
ARRSE, who one would expect to get excited, appear to have no visibility.

Please provide an enlargement: one would expect to see a white plume/ no white plume disparity in the party.
2:52:30
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001cnm3/the-state-funeral-of-hm-queen-elizabeth-ii-london
Might also note that the Bearer Party appear to have black or very dark grey plumes.

langleybaston
21st Sep 2022, 09:30
2:52:30
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001cnm3/the-state-funeral-of-hm-queen-elizabeth-ii-london

Thank you but I avoid all BBC i player output, and indeed all BBC output for very good personal reasons.
A screen shot close up would convince folk, I am sure.

However, unseemly for me to nag about the matter so I will wind my neck in.

But why is ARRSE silent ............ full of anti Guards sentiment usually? Or perhaps I failed to find it.

mahogany bob
21st Sep 2022, 09:51

0117. Occasions when No 1 Service Dress may be worn. Officers on the Retired and Reserve Lists, Royal Auxiliary Air Force officers and ex officers who are permitted to retain their rank may wear uniform on the following occasions: a. When attending: (1) Investitures and Royal Garden Parties. (2) State ceremonial occasions. (3) Parades in an official capacity, in connection with the celebration of the Sovereign’s birthday. (4) Their own wedding or other military weddings when the sponsor requests the wearing of uniform. (5) When attending formal Service functions. b. When participating in an official capacity, in: (1) Non-Service parades. (2) War Memorial services and associated parades. c. When inspecting or visiting: (1) RAuxAF units in an official capacity. (2) Units of the Combined Cadet Force (CCF) of the Air Training Corps (ATC) on behalf of the Ministry of Defence or Territorial and Auxiliary Forces Associations. d. When appointed for service with the ATC (the rank badges to be worn are those appropriate to the ATC appointment). e. When on duty as officials duly appointed by the Ministry of Defence. f. When holding the appointments of ADC to Her Majesty’s Governor General or Governor. g. When holding the appointment of Lord Lieutenant or Deputy Lord Lieutenant of a county, High Sheriff or Sheriff and discharging the duties of that appointment. (Lieutenancy insignia may not be worn on RAF dress but entitled RAF flying badges may be worn on the Lieutenancy dress). Wearing the Uniform of Voluntary Organisations.

So Prince Andrew and Prince Harry could ,and in my opinion,should have worn uniform on the parades,because of their active service!
But I realise that the King’s decision is final! - Royal Politics!

212man
21st Sep 2022, 10:54

So Prince Andrew and Prince Harry could ,and in my opinion,should have worn uniform on the parades,because of their active service!
But I realise that the King’s decision is final! - Royal Politics!

I don't have access to that extract but was aware that there are obviously exceptions that allow the wearing of uniform for those having left the services, as I know one of the former equerries to the Queen who was in the party accompanying the coffin on its various routes through London/Windsor - in his RAF uniform.

I agree it seems unnecessary to not have allowed Harry and Andrew to wear their former uniforms. No longer having royal duties would understandably preclude dressing up as Admirals or Generals etc, but wearing their actual former service dresses (as William did in the funeral service) would seem appropriate.

DaveReidUK
21st Sep 2022, 11:46
Thank you but I avoid all BBC i player output, and indeed all BBC output for very good personal reasons.
A screen shot close up would convince folk, I am sure.

I wouldn't bother. You won't see anyone with their hat on back-to-front.

MENELAUS
21st Sep 2022, 12:12
Ferchrissakes give the lad(s) a break. People have topped themselves for less.
Even if it were on back to front that’s probably down to the soldier handing out the bearskins after carrying the coffin. One of the troopers from Balaklava Co RRS had the ribbons from his Glengarry trapped under his headdress for the whole walk up the Royal Mile. Virtually impossible to mitigate against in the seconds they are given to don headwear. Quite a few of the RN party did not have their caps aligned. Again, as they’re not allowed to be at ease to redress impossible to prevent. And we’re all instant experts of course.
They carried the actual coffin no less than 10 times. To say nothing of the rehearsals. And negotiated the St George Chapel steps without a single slip or falter.

Krystal n chips
21st Sep 2022, 12:16

Having watched a series on the Coldstream Guards recently, mainly for amusement, there was a clip showing the troops being paraded with deliberate dress errors for baby officers to practice their observation skills on regarding turnout standards.....now I'm sorry, but, a dirty great chunk of bearskin worn back to front, given all the rest of the inspections and preparations involved, would be difficult to miss ..along with the rest of the usual attention to detail shown elsewhere in the series.

GeeRam
21st Sep 2022, 12:30
I presume that RAF bandsman lining the Long Walk didn't suffer any injury when he got almost knocked to the ground by the horse of one of the Blues and Royals, who decided to have a bit of a 'don't like playing this game' moment before the rider got him back under control.

langleybaston
21st Sep 2022, 13:53
I wouldn't bother. You won't see anyone with their hat on back-to-front.

Agreed, and I know ARRSE and journos look at pprune, so surely would have gone to town taking the p1$$.

diginagain
21st Sep 2022, 14:29
Agreed, and I know ARRSE and journos look at pprune, so surely would have gone to town taking the p1$$.
OK.

https://twitter.com/andywilmer/status/1571918968868438016

NutLoose
21st Sep 2022, 15:00
Little foibles apart, which we as ex or current military seem to rejoice in noticing, I would seriously doubt the public the World over would have been in nothing but awe at the whole spectacle.
I myself having a quick channel flick was surprised at the depth of coverage from the likes of CNN, I suppose it is really a once in a generation event, no matter how tragic it was.

Yes, you get the big parades in China and N Korea that tend to be simply stationary troops in large formations as a column of vehicles proceed past, but this was different, these were troops marching in unison over long distances and with horses involved, often around some of the trickist obstacles with consummate ease and with the minimum of time for preparation.

You just couldn't get better and every one of them from the people shovelling up the horse manure to those in charge of the whole show, should feel justifiably proud to have taken part in a generational event and having produced a spectacle fit for our Queen for the whole World to see.. Few Countries come close to the pomp and pageantry we perform with aplomb.

mmitch
21st Sep 2022, 15:46
On Youtube there is a film in the Pathe archieve of the procession for Queen Victoria. Soldiers marching across an entrance with arms reversed while dignataries are trying to walk across them! Eventually they are stopped and pushed out of the way.Trying to get the coffin off the same gun carriage as yesterday, about a dozen officers ( with plume hats) Climbing on boxes to get it off. Of course it is a silent film so you can't here the swearing! Our troops made it look easy. Practice makes perfect.
mmitch.

Geriaviator
21st Sep 2022, 16:57
I switched on to watch the start of the ceremonial and was totally spellbound. My compliments and thanks to all the Service personnel who gave our late and wonderful Majesty such a magnificent sendoff. I doubt if even our younger viewers will see its like again.

Test Monkey
21st Sep 2022, 18:18
Sure would have been nice to have had a missing man flight down the mall with a flight of four spits at some point this week.. that is always a poignant sight.

langleybaston
21st Sep 2022, 18:32
OK.

https://twitter.com/andywilmer/status/1571918968868438016

Bugger me!

Apologies due.

Plume/ no plume is pretty conclusive.

Right in front of his officer.

MENELAUS
21st Sep 2022, 18:34
Sure would have been nice to have had a missing man flight down the mall with a flight of four spits at some point this week.. that is always a poignant sight.

And perhaps Concorde. And a flight of Meteors in the trail.
It was excellent just as it was.

diginagain
21st Sep 2022, 18:41
Apologies due.
Right in front of his officer.
None necessary! I'm sure Big Vern will have had words with the member of the support team that collected and subsequently distributed the bearskins, with a debrief round the back of the Abbey. With a reversed bearskin you can just about see the heels of the chap in front of you, you just have to press-on and hope not too many people spot the gaffe.

Mad Monk
21st Sep 2022, 19:33
Whilst I appreciate that not everyone is a Monarchist the lack of compassion by some astounds me.
https://variety.com/2022/tv/global/bbc-complaints-queens-death-prince-philip-1235373375/

Flyhighfirst
21st Sep 2022, 19:50
I switched on to watch the start of the ceremonial and was totally spellbound. My compliments and thanks to all the Service personnel who gave our late and wonderful Majesty such a magnificent sendoff. I doubt if even our younger viewers will see its like again.

They will all see another one in 2-3 years most likely! Going to be a bust next few years. Coronation next year, and a few years after that….

Chugalug2
21st Sep 2022, 21:50
They will all see another one in 2-3 years most likely! Going to be a bust next few years. Coronation next year, and a few years after that….

Geriaviator didn't say we'd not see another (Royal funeral, coronation, wedding, etc), but that we will not see its like again. I suspect he is right. Expect a coronation lite next year? The King is talking of cutting back on Royalty's extent. Where better to start than with his own Coronation? You heard it here first....

DaveReidUK
22nd Sep 2022, 06:52
Where better to start than with his own Coronation? You heard it here first....

And the King obviously reads PPRUNe:

King Charles planning 'less expensive' coronation and 'slimmed down' working monarchy (https://news.sky.com/story/king-charles-planning-less-expensive-coronation-and-slimmed-down-working-monarchy-12702316)

Chugalug2
22nd Sep 2022, 08:25
And the King obviously reads PPRUNe:

King Charles planning 'less expensive' coronation and 'slimmed down' working monarchy (https://news.sky.com/story/king-charles-planning-less-expensive-coronation-and-slimmed-down-working-monarchy-12702316)

Damn! Scooped again!

ex-fast-jets
22nd Sep 2022, 08:39
To reduce costs, the police could be given the same rates of overtime pay as the military folk who will be involved.

That might help.

Asturias56
22nd Sep 2022, 09:18
The police RUN on overtime for heavens sake......................... no overtime = no police

NutLoose
22nd Sep 2022, 09:20
They could of course break it for parts and sell the crown he will use, replace it with a paste example paid for from the sale and use the remaining funds to partially finance his Coronation ;)

Akrotiri bad boy
22nd Sep 2022, 10:09
With the crown being "pre-loved" will Charles have to do what we all did at some point with a new hat? That is rip the lining out, through it in the bath overnight then wear it wet whilst it shapes?

tucumseh
22nd Sep 2022, 10:47
I thought some old Finningley hands might wish to see this. Silver Jubilee visit 1977. The gentleman behind the Queen is her ADC and CAS, ACM Sir Neil Cameron, later MRAF, then Lord Cameron of Balhousie. A very fine man by all accounts.

bobward
22nd Sep 2022, 14:13
My wife and I were in Italy last week, and thus missed Monday's events. We were very touched by the number of Europeans who, on hearing us speak, expressed their sympathy at Her Majesty's demise.
So, despite what the Euro(p))(crats say and do, the average European is a good person.

mickjoebill
22nd Sep 2022, 16:00
To those stating the cost of the funeral is 6p per person, what is the cost to the GDP?
In oz, the public holiday in honour of HRH, is forecast to reduce GDP by $2B with a direct cost of $500m to business.

​​​​​​
Mjb

MENELAUS
22nd Sep 2022, 17:43
To those stating the cost of the funeral is 6p per person, what is the cost to the GDP?
In oz, the public holiday in honour of HRH, is forecast to reduce GDP by $2B with a direct cost of $500m to business.

​​​​​​
Mjb

2 billion. Oz I assume. Bollocks frankly. What happens on other holidays ? Xmas. Labour day.? Can’t see my self going to work day ? Does the GDP tank then. ?

Asturias56
23rd Sep 2022, 08:30
"In oz, the public holiday in honour of HRH, is forecast to reduce GDP by $2B"

yeah a public holiday a week after the funeral so it makes a nice long weekend for the good people of Victoria so they can enjoy the Footie Grand Final as well.................. politicians!!

BEagle
23rd Sep 2022, 08:58
Ah yes, the 1977 Jubilee at RAF Finningley:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x559/sleepy_fred_faa659427f01814a7530ee0dfb9db7481510b4ec.jpg
Sleepy Fred Mulley, Harold Wislon's Secretary of State for Defence, showing little interest in the flying display!

Uplinker
23rd Sep 2022, 09:31
To those stating the cost of the funeral is 6p per person, what is the cost to the GDP?.......

Mjb

Yeah, they could have just gone to the local crematorium; that would have been a lot cheaper for the country..................:ugh: :rolleyes:

~ Knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing ~

airsound
23rd Sep 2022, 10:08
Sleepy Fred Mulley, Harold Wislon's Secretary of State for Defence, showing little interest in the flying display!
Thanks for that pic, Beags. I was doing the commentary for that display, directly addressing Her Majesty (via loudspeakers, of course.)

Anyway, I understood that my annual report included the comment "This officer puts the Secretary of State for Defence to sleep in the middle of a noisy flying display"

But I did get a very nice letter from CAS.... And no, I didn't get a Jubilee Medal.

airsound

BEagle
23rd Sep 2022, 12:10
And no, I didn't get a Jubilee Medal.
Perhaps His Majesty might consider righting the wrong of 1977 by permitting those of us who met the criteria for the Silver Jubilee medal, but were not given one due to the ad hoc parsimonious random distribution of the medals, now to be granted permission to wear one?

Haraka
24th Sep 2022, 07:58
Beags, I was nominated to select the one individual out of my 50, or so man unit to receive it. After putting up with an O.C. who tried to grab it for himself ("to represent everyone" ) and to avoid any probems with the juniors , I listened to an old and bold much medalled Flt. Sqt. sounding off in the crew bar about the sheer nonsense of the situation making the thing effectively worthless.
Guess who was the lucky recipient!
Some months before I overheard one of the lads asking him how he had got one of the several decorations that he held.
" Cowering in a trench singing war songs!"

Uplinker
24th Sep 2022, 08:41

More to the point; falling asleep while in the company of The Queen ?????

I know that I would remain very much awake if I was ever in a similar situation !

Haraka
24th Sep 2022, 11:19
For a time the slang for getting your bunk time for a few minutes was referred to as "Going for a Mulley"

D120A
25th Sep 2022, 10:31
And when the lifts in MoD main Building were out of action, the chairs placed on the stair landings to accommodate people who needed a short rest were known as 'Mulley Chairs'.