PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Says Training, Aircraft Bottleneck Slowing Covid Recovery

Oasis
17th Sep 2022, 20:49
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/cathay-says-training-aircraft-bottleneck-slowing-covid-recovery-1.1819736

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1048x1549/2e752fa1_3263_41e5_bdee_acb2bc89831f_4750676233514fbab59242e 84c63adf7b287d64a.jpeg

cxflog
17th Sep 2022, 22:44
Oh no!

Anyway…

Cury Lamb
18th Sep 2022, 05:26
Maybe the penny has finally dropped?!

'HK needs to change quarantine rules ASAP'
https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1667320-20220918.htm

Bokpiel
19th Sep 2022, 15:48
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/900x2000/screenshot_2022_09_19_23_45_32_594_com_android_chrome_26e799 6d8253316a481025dd26f5f05373f1c812.jpg
Lol this thread came up in my Google news feed.

Hugo Peroni the IV
20th Sep 2022, 15:24
The recovery matters little. The AOA under new leadership is so ****** up that you’ll never get anything out of the recovery.

Call your GC friends and find out what the first day under a dictator has been like. It’s not pretty.

RAT Management
20th Sep 2022, 23:58
The recovery matters little. The AOA under new leadership is so ****** up that you’ll never get anything out of the recovery.

Call your GC friends and find out what the first day under a dictator has been like. It’s not pretty.
Just resign and give yourself a 1/% pay rise. Also, can you imagine all complaints about pay and conditions being fielded to the GMA/DFO on a daily basis... It will force them to hire another department of people to deal with it. A complete unforseen nightmare for the company and an unintended consequence for ignoring the union.

controlledrest
21st Sep 2022, 01:50
Everything is fine. GMA's little bitch, Jack Bennett, says so:We have a thorough planning process in place t ensure that we have the correct pilot resources at any one time and to enable us to recruit and train (including upgrades and fleet transfers) with sufficient lead time to meet forecast demand, fleet plans and capacity by fleet and region for the months and years ahead. The same planners who forced a bunch of pilots off the 777 onto the mini-bus over a year ago to meet the forecast high demand, who haven't flown since? The same team who fuel hedge?

Bennett's (and GMAs) answer to lack of trainers? Just order pilots to do this. Bennett shouted this at Airbus CP.

Flying Clog
21st Sep 2022, 22:43
Indeed controlledrest, it's looking pretty bleak I would say!

From the top down, CX has completely lost the plot, but that's hardly surprising with the utterly inept and moronic HK government Covidiot rules they have to operate under. How could any airline get the show on the road under these circumstances?

There is no way I am sympathetic to Cathay, after all of these years of abuse, toxicity, and taking advantage of the situation with clipping the Ts and Cs, but still, can't be easy to make a plan going forward.

I suppose it serves CX and HK right, at the end of the day. They deserve this, so screw them.

I just pity my poor coleagues at the end of the day. What a crap run of it. What a shame.

But as fellow mercenary of 20 years, just know, your skills are highly appreciated elsewhere, and life is good outside Hong Kong!

Curtain rod
23rd Sep 2022, 07:24
Especially for those smart enough to be giving themselves a 1% pay rise, for something different and useful, google: Allied Pilots of Hong Kong

Drc40
23rd Sep 2022, 18:35
Everything is fine. GMA's little bitch, Jack Bennett

How many titles does that ****** have anyway?

Strategic Transformation Change Manager - Head of Crew Management Programme

The only head he should be managing is the one that collects a deuce.

AnAmusedReader
24th Sep 2022, 09:37
" something different and useful, google: Allied Pilots of Hong Kong"

Really? Apart from a small joining fee which gives a saving over HKAOA dues, what can it really provide other than a talking shop? Can a member tell me please?
Clearly set up by ex-HKAOA members (which I am BTW. Ex that is) given all the HKAOA material that has been
taken from HKAOA sources.

Rie
24th Sep 2022, 10:56
"We carry out our profession while distancing ourselves from the toxic antagonism and negativity of established industrial positioning."

I roll my eyes when I see this sort of thing. I have no idea who has set this up but it won't take many guesses to work it out. Good luck to them but in the end it will be a waste of time created for the old boys to moan about the company further.

Oasis
24th Sep 2022, 13:54
Any "union" worth their salt would down the tools till we're no longer quarantined on outports.

It would work too, cx will never be as thirsty to get going again and so will the government. Easy win.

Then, after that win, go after cos-18. Cx will have to drop that anyway if they don't want parked 777s in Hong Kong without replacing 1/3 of the pilot body.

Market forces, Baby

Rico_Corp
24th Sep 2022, 14:04
Any "union" worth their salt would down the tools till we're no longer quarantined on outports.

It would work too, cx will never be as thirsty to get going again and so will the government. Easy win.

Then, after that win, go after cos-18. Cx will have to drop that anyway if they don't want parked 777s in Hong Kong without replacing 1/3 of the pilot body.

Market forces, Baby

Quarantine at outports is a CHP requirement. If a “union” successfully imposed “down the tools” over this, what could the Company actually do (besides supporting the union….)?

Xwindldg
24th Sep 2022, 15:00
" something different and useful, google: Allied Pilots of Hong Kong"

Really? Apart from a small joining fee which gives a saving over HKAOA dues, what can it really provide other than a talking shop? Can a member tell me please?
Clearly set up by ex-HKAOA members (which I am BTW. Ex that is) given all the HKAOA material that has been
taken from HKAOA sources.

What more does the AOA do? Oh yeah that’s right, they also send a couple of useless letters to management that get ignored. That’s value for money right there!

Oasis
24th Sep 2022, 17:35
Quarantine at outports is a CHP requirement. If a “union” successfully imposed “down the tools” over this, what could the Company actually do (besides supporting the union….)?

Company has to do nothing but put pressure on the government. Have they really fought for us like they say?

Government wants a recovery of travel, a little hard if the pilots are not playing game, guess how quick the quarantine requirement would drop?

At this point I'd say it is irresponsible to keep crew locked up like this, for psychological reasons.

One guy committed suicide at home, how long till someone does it in an airplane?

woke2022
25th Sep 2022, 01:45
One guy committed suicide at home, how long till someone does it in an airplane?
agreed.
The company are not trying because
1) Being locked up on trips reduces the chance you get covid and thus be a futher burden on the giant pool of sick or stress leave pilots
2) If we are free then we will be amber code for 3.5 days after a trip like pax which with these stupid rules means you cant fly again for 4 days. Company aren't going to want to give 4 free days off after each flight!

Side note why are the cabin crew / their union not kicking and screaming? Surely this is a time to join forces. Or are they not as concerned about it all
Anyway these lookback periods, single key card entry etc better be gone this week or clearly the company give zero #$%#

Rie
25th Sep 2022, 04:59
Market forces, Baby

I believe the quote was "competitive" well gotta match Atlas/UPS/Fedex if they want to stay "competitive" enough Australians/Brazilians/South Africans are leaving for the US right now on the E3/E2 visa programs.

Otherwise they can just continue looking at the people fired from QR/EK from questionable backgrounds. I guess drop the bar low enough and people will accept food

Oasis
25th Sep 2022, 08:27
agreed.
1) Being locked up on trips reduces the chance you get covid and thus be a futher burden on the giant pool of sick or stress leave pilots
2) If we are free then we will be amber code for 3.5 days after a trip like pax which with these stupid rules means you cant fly again for 4 days. Company aren't going to want to give 4 free days off after each flight!

Side note why are the cabin crew / their union not kicking and screaming? Surely this is a time to join forces. Or are they not as concerned about it all
Anyway these lookback periods, single key card entry etc better be gone this week or clearly the company give zero #$%#

You get 3 days off anyway after a long haul, maybe keep the local overnights quarantine for a while to keep productivity up.
With 5k-10k a day cases in HKG it is not really much safer to be overseas walking around or in HKG.

If they are trying to penny pinch on productivity and are missing the larger problem of 1/3 of the pilot body being gone and increasing, that coupled with a risk of a hull loss. It's a Dilbert comic that writes itself.

Babyjet_dododo
25th Sep 2022, 09:12
agreed.

It costs them $0 to keep us locked-up, so they don’t care, even if the government cancels quarantine in outports the company will make sure that we’re locked up for the sake of productivity.

AnAmusedReader
25th Sep 2022, 09:20
Xwindldg

I didn't ask "What more does the AOA do?"

I enquired as to what the Allied Pilots does. It appears from looking at their website that is does no more than the AOA does (or does not).
Sorry, it can put you in touch with insurers and lawyers. Big deal, I can do that myself. And as for:"Frequent, private, friendly gatherings are held to foster discussion, learning, problem-solving and camaraderie among us."
That's really going to make life flying for CX a whole lot better.
For many years now the pilots of CX have shown the bully that we have no balls so the bully can and does whatever they want.

There's no point in bitching about it. Put up with it or leave. AOA and/or Allied Pilots, sadly, aren't going to beat the bully.