PDA

View Full Version : The Red Arrows - A Personal Perspective

MMHendrie1
16th Sep 2022, 09:45
I saw the Red Arrows often in my first ten years of service. Their performance always commanded the attention of me, my friends, and colleagues, always a hyper-critical audience. We were never disappointed although that did not prevent us from directing traditional RAF banter at the team in their ‘stand-out’ flying suits.
The RAFAT display in Malta on 29 September 1978 will long live in my memory. It was part of the ceremony to mark the operational closure of the Royal Air Force in Malta, in the Service's Diamond Jubilee year. The Red Arrows thrilled everyone with an astonishing display in and out of Grand Harbour, the noise echoing in and out of its many creeks. It was a fitting farewell to an earlier generation of Malta-based airmen - and others - who fought and died there.
My next ten years of service saw my views, and my professional respect, for the Red Arrows mature and grow. I spent two years flying an RAF Meteor on the display circuit and saw the team many times. One occasion was 8 September 1981, at the Battle of Britain Air Display in Jersey. Red 1 (CB) occupied the backseat of my Meteor for my own display.
Ten years later, I was at Akrotiri in Cyprus for the RAFAT’s final practices before they were granted Public Display Clearance. I attended half-a-dozen pre-flight briefings, witnessed many display practices, all recorded, and was privileged to sit-in on their ‘no holds barred’ debriefs. I was also invited to fly with the Red 1 (AH) in a full display practice off Episkopi on 24 April 1991. The whole experience, in the air and on the ground, was hugely impressive and left a deep and lasting impression on me which has never wavered.
Just over ten years later, on the last day of a short visit to Oman, my wife spotted an item in a local newspaper. The Red Arrows were to display over our beachfront hotel that afternoon. The display was first class against a stunning backdrop. Later that evening, as we waited for our airport transfer, we were further taken aback when an old RAF friend (WR) walked past. He had been appointed O i/c RAFAT. He invited us to join them for our last few minutes in Oman. We were warmly welcomed by the team, some of whom I had known from their BFJT at Linton-on-Ouse. It was an extraordinary coincidence.
Jump ahead to 2019 when my son, his American wife, my grandson, and some American friends, attended the air display at Mirama in California. Apart from an excellent display from the Red Arrows, the main talking point afterwards especially among their American friends was how the whole team, aircrew and groundcrew alike, engaged with the public in a way not seen from other teams. They were brilliant ambassadors for the UK and our service. My then 9-year-old grandson left with more than just a memory, a great photograph of him with one of the team (JB), whom I had known at Linton.
Surely, that had to be it, the end of my and my family’s occasional involvement with the Red Arrows. But no. On Thursday 8 September 2022, my wife and I flew to Jersey for a week’s holiday which coincided with the Battle of Britain Air Display. It was 41 years since I took part in the same display with Red 1 in the back seat of my Meteor. Sadly, our arrival meant we missed most of the display. But when we reached our balcony in the Grand Jersey Hotel, the Red Arrows began their display over St Aubin’s Bay. There was a strong, gusty on-crowd wind, a challenge for even the best. But not for the Red Arrows.
Later, as we sat in the hotel lounge, we were astonished to see figures on the crowded terrace in red flying suits. I went outside to see the team happily engaging with the public. And there was JB. He was equally astonished when I approached him with a photograph of him with my grandson taken at Mirama three years earlier. A few minutes later, the Union Flag was lowered to half-mast as news broke of the passing of Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. The RAFAT had flown the final display of her reign.
For over 50 years, I have been privileged to witness the Red Arrows in the air and on the ground. The whole team - aircrew and groundcrew alike - have always been selected from the very best of us. They are the very best of us.

Eclat.

Doctor Cruces
16th Sep 2022, 10:43
Doubtless they ae splendid folks, but every jet formation team I watched at RIAT this year was better than them by a fair degree. They looked jaded. Their eclat has worn somewhat.

muppetofthenorth
16th Sep 2022, 13:15
It's a nice story, but knowing what's happened to the team this year involving a friend of mine rather takes the shine off it.

16th Sep 2022, 13:31
Compare the number of pilots the RAF had to select from 20, 30 or 40 years ago and look at the numbers now whilst the Red Arrows 'machine' has been hollowed out with more always expected from and with less. A sad state of affairs.

212man
16th Sep 2022, 16:37
he RAFAT display in Malta on 29 September 1978 to celebrate Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee will live long in my memory.

I think you will find that was for the RAF's Diamond Jubilee. 1977 was the Queen's Silver Jubilee.

42go
17th Sep 2022, 20:41
212 - The RAFAT display in Malta on 29 September 1978 will long live in my memory. It was part of the ceremony to mark the operational closure of the Royal Air Force in Malta, in the Service's Diamond Jubilee year. Not quite sure why you misquoted the original (and quite correct post?)

An anecdote, if I may - the team were 'billeted' in Malta in a ward of a military hospital (none of the luxury Greek resort hotels in those days..... :-) ). Above each bed was a notice which read

"If you require a nurse in the night, ring the bell".

The whole bell wiring had burnt out the next morning.

charliegolf
17th Sep 2022, 20:51
212 - Not quite sure why you misquoted the original (and quite correct post?)

Because the original (and quite incorrect post) has been edited.

CG

212man
17th Sep 2022, 22:59
Because the original (and quite incorrect post) has been edited.

CG
Thanks CG.

thrusts a must
18th Sep 2022, 07:46
Stayed in Millieha bay and imported my own nurse from U.K. Remember red white and blue cocktails outside the mess as the sun set and lots of similarly coloured washing downtown Valletta. I wonder how that happened?

MMHendrie1
18th Sep 2022, 09:54
I am grateful to 212man (PM sent) for pointing out my error in the original post so promptly, which allowed me to correct it. He was quite right. I took part in the 29 September 1978 display in a Canberra PR7 nine-ship, flying with the late Sqn Ldr Tom Perrem AFC. In my logbook, it is referred to simply as ‘Diamond Jubilee Flypast’, referring as 212man said to the Diamond Jubilee of the RAF, not that of Her Late Majesty. I apologise to PPrune readers and hope my error does not distract from this thread.

Cornish Jack
18th Sep 2022, 10:08
Bumped into 'Arrows' displays on various occasions - support with the Bev and S&R standby at airshows. The mention of Malta triggered memories of the 'workup', out of Luqa, by the 'Blue Diamonds'. We did the support transport and watched some of the rehearsals, one of which included a momentary very close formation and a hasty rearrangement ! Some limited info on YT about 92 Sqdn, but their existence between the Black Arrows and the Reds via the Yellowjacks leaves them, relatively unheralded. Their 7 abreast loop and 16 ship antics made for interesting watching.

18th Sep 2022, 11:02
I watched 3 years worth of their workups in Cyprus in the 80s and at the beginning there were frequent occurrences of either 'very close or very far away' formation but they always got there in the end.

Nolongerin
18th Sep 2022, 14:55
A great read, thank you.

westhawk
18th Sep 2022, 18:49
My single instance of witnessing a Red Arrows display is a very positive and memorable one.

Farnborough '88. I was on a 4 day pass from my unit in Germany and had taken a space-A MAC hop to Mildenhall. I even managed to get a room at the VAQ. From there it was an interesting trip by bus and train to Farnborough, but I made it in time to witness many of the flying displays as I wandered about the various static displays and exhibition spaces. When it came time for the Red Arrows performance, everyone on the property rushed out to the flight line it seemed.

After watching a very professionally performed display, I was about to go and try to get a better look at the Soviet's newest fighter, the MIG-29 when a voice speaking with a London accent was heard coming from behind me. "Pardon me sir, may I ask you a question?" I turned to see a quintessential English gentleman standing before me. Middle aged, perhaps in his early fifties. Buttoned up dress shirt with tie, checker-pattern tweed sport jacket complete with English driving cap. A bushy mustache and rather large, stylishly appointed smoking pipe completed the image. "Certainly", I replied.

"I want to ask if you know what type of aircraft those Red Arrow blokes are flying". "Sure, that's called a Hawk" I replied. "No, that doesn't seem right". Well I knew with certainty exactly what type of airplanes those were, so I paused a moment to consider a reply. I settled upon "what would you call it then"? "An Awk" he replied. So I got to enjoy the Red Arrows and as much of the Farnborough airshow as I could absorb in 8 or so hours or thereabouts. Additionally I was also introduced to the concept of English humour by a native practitioner of that fine art. To this day I still smile and refer to those airplanes as "Awks"!

To date, I've seen the national jet display teams of the UK, Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Canada and of course both US teams. I find them all to be very proficient at precision formation display flying. Some are more awe inspiring than others, but they all typically perform their aerial displays with style and precision. So be rightfully proud of your team!

Zombywoof
18th Sep 2022, 22:41
Our Snowbirds could really use a few of those Awks! Nice story.

ancientaviator62
19th Sep 2022, 06:54
Cornish Jack,
when I was groundcrew on 92 we did have a couple of wing tip paint 'exchanges' as the formation became larger. !

Cornish Jack
19th Sep 2022, 09:49
aa62 - :)
Looking up the details on YT, there was an initial 'inter-breeding' from the Black Arrows but the Diamonds soon developed their own routines. As with the 'Blacks', they had the definite visual advantage of the Hunter - still the best looking fighter aircraft - by a country mile !! :ok:

ancientaviator62
19th Sep 2022, 13:58
Cornish Jack,
yes we had some ex 111 pilots and some of their a/c. Scratch the blue on them and the paint was black underneath.

SASless
19th Sep 2022, 14:03
Say what you will....but watching a Blue Angels Six Ship takeoff of F-4 Phantoms on full after burner definitely catches one's attention.....as does today's utilization of the F/A 18 by that team.

If I am not mistaken....the Red's were flying the Gnats during those years the American Teams were using the Phantom.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1000x667/40db328a7a50f48a523b432e072dced0_a9e0169b8e01325a6d6d122f5f0 598aff7dbdfc5.jpg

Asturias56
19th Sep 2022, 16:56
Problem with the Phantom (and the Lightening) is that they use so much space there were long (-ish) gaps in the show. That's why the Snowbirds are so good - they hardly leave the footprint of the aerodrome so the air is always full aircraft

SASless
19th Sep 2022, 17:00
I was very impressed with the Italian Team when I saw them....and agree that the Snowbirds put on a good show too.

dfv8
20th Sep 2022, 12:29
I was very impressed with the Italian Team when I saw them....and agree that the Snowbirds put on a good show too.

I was always a fan of the Frecce Tricolore when they used the Fiat G91's

GeeRam
20th Sep 2022, 14:15
aa62 - :)
Looking up the details on YT, there was an initial 'inter-breeding' from the Black Arrows but the Diamonds soon developed their own routines. As with the 'Blacks', they had the definite visual advantage of the Hunter - still the best looking fighter aircraft - by a country mile !! :ok:

Yep, the aircraft looks does help the visuals of the teams (or not as the case may be)
I used to enjoy watching the Patrouille Suisse Hunter teams, for that reason, up to 1994 when they stopped flying the Hunter. They were the only team I enjoyed watching after the Reds stopped using the Gnat back in 1979.

NickB
20th Sep 2022, 14:39
I was always a fan of the Frecce Tricolore when they used the Fiat G91's

My Father was at Yeovilton Air Day in 1975 (?) when one flew so low across the airfield, the wing tip hit the ground, taking out the nav light! This event was verified by our neighbour who was a 'SHARKS' pilot on 705NAS who also witnessed it!
Scary stuff.

SASless
20th Sep 2022, 18:28
Annual Airshow at the Agusta factory in Vergiate.....PA announces the Italian Team.....no Team seen or heard.....me thinking typical Italians...never on time as usual.....when from behind the crowd which was in front of the factory buildings on the apron facing the runway......arrive the Team trailing smoke just barely clearing the roof of the buildings!

You did not hear them until they passed directly overhead at not very high above you.....terrific effect on the crowd!!!!

Multi-colored smoke curled down on the crowd and the team raced off into their performance where was absolutely professionally done with real elan!

That was followed up by a fellow in a Glider doing aerobatics to music.....which also was very well done.

teeteringhead
21st Sep 2022, 08:09
My Father was at Yeovilton Air Day in 1975 (?) when one flew so low across the airfield, the wing tip hit the ground, taking out the nav light! This event was verified by our neighbour who was a 'SHARKS' pilot on 705NAS who also witnessed it!. Think it was later than that - unless they did it twice! - I saw it (IIRC) in the 80s; at the after party the nav light had been mounted on a polished wooden stand by the techies and presented to the Team!

chevvron
21st Sep 2022, 08:25
In 18 Farnborough Airshows, they always got 'on our wicks' somewhat every time, OC Flying threated to ground the singletons quite often for cutting it too close.
When I did a course at Leeming in '79, I was amazed that the same attitude was ripe there; frequent 'remarks' about them being cowboys eg 'precision pilots the Red Arrows, anybody else would have missed that mast'.etc. (ie the mast in the marina at Brighton)

NickB
21st Sep 2022, 08:41
Teetering - no, it was definitely 1970s and they were flying the G91. Had that occasion been in the 80s, I would have been there too.
However, it wouldn't surprise me if they did it again at a later date! I've also seen an image of the mounted nav light been presented to the pilot...

Cornish Jack
21st Sep 2022, 09:35
I suspect that all teams have their 'moments'. We were tasked from TH to do a photo sortie at Little Riss for the Reds wing man crash on the hill there. The foliage damage indicated just what a small margin there was between 'close' and the actual 'too close'. Tragic, RIP

Haraka
21st Sep 2022, 09:55
My Father was at Yeovilton Air Day in 1975 (?) when one flew so low across the airfield, the wing tip hit the ground, taking out the nav light! This event was verified by our neighbour who was a 'SHARKS' pilot on 705NAS who also witnessed it!
Scary stuff.
Yes it was in the early 70's.. Photos were afterwards taken of a long curving gash across the grass!

NickB
21st Sep 2022, 12:40
Haraka - thanks.
I have a pic somewhere (think it was posted of FB) of one of the early displays at VL - quite amazing and scary in equal measure. I believe Cdr Air at VL hit the roof as they just did what they wanted, ignoring all rules and instruction!

thrusts a must
26th Sep 2022, 08:09
Actually within sensible parameters the lower you are the easier it is. Try to judge position over a ground feature at 50’ compared to say 200’. Similarly the closer the easier in formation. Some OC Flying’s didn’t appreciate that until someone had a word.

thrusts a must
26th Sep 2022, 08:20
Chevron,
‘The Mast’ has been covered in depth. Suffice it to say that the synchro cleared the display on their first pass and then some clown sailed onto the display line to get a closer look. Rightly the boys were looking at each other not expecting a mast from stage right. The pilot was and is a very sharp professional aviator.

Haraka
26th Sep 2022, 12:36
Chevron,
‘The Mast’ has been covered in depth. Suffice it to say that the synchro cleared the display on their first pass and then some clown sailed onto the display line to get a closer look. Rightly the boys were looking at each other not expecting a mast from stage right. The pilot was and is a very sharp professional aviator.
Alhough not directly involved in that one, I was in tha same unit that did the photo evaluation. Indeed a yacht floated directly across into the track of the established flight path.

DaveReidUK
26th Sep 2022, 12:54
and then some clown sailed onto the display line to get a closer look

Hmmm.

From the MoD's Accident Summary:

"There was no embargo on boat movements during the display and therefore no reason for the skipper of the yacht to suspect that his passage would hazard the Synchro Pair."