PDA

View Full Version : Apple Watch ECG. Future use?

funkydreadlocks
15th Sep 2022, 19:54
It's time to replace my ageing apple watch. I tend cheap out a little with smart watches, but I noticed that the Series 8 has ECG and blood oxygen measurements, whereas the SE doesn't. I wonder if there's potential to help my case with my AME in the future. I don't have any reason to think that I would need it, but how likely do you think having a history of regular ECG and blood O2 levels could convince make an AME to go your way whenever results are borderline? I guess that's the £150 question

Jhieminga
16th Sep 2022, 19:20
Not an answer to your question, but those features were introduced on the series 7, so you could aim for one of those and save some money. See here for the differences: https://www.macrumors.com/guide/apple-watch-series-7-vs-series-8/

gsxr750al
16th Sep 2022, 19:21
The Series 6 has both those features too.

Jhieminga
16th Sep 2022, 20:54
You're right, it was the Series 6 that introduced the blood oxygen sensor. My bad.

gsxr750al
16th Sep 2022, 21:11
You're right, it was the Series 6 that introduced the blood oxygen sensor. My bad.
:ok: I only know because that’s the one I have haha

funkydreadlocks
16th Sep 2022, 21:56
oh yeah that's definetely an option I hadn't considered. I could try and get it refurbished.

What are thoughts on those features being actually useful with AMEs?

redsnail
17th Sep 2022, 19:56
My AME has never asked about it, however, I could see that a "history" could be of use if more data was required to eliminate possibilities.

Si Guy
17th Sep 2022, 23:29
My experience with the Apple Watch ECG and Blood Oxygen apps is that they are limited in information they provide. Based on my reading, the single lead ECG feature really just suggests if you have Afib or not. Keeping a history of those readings doesn’t seem useful. Also, the Blood Ox feature is not medical grade either. I was at the doctors the other day, and they took my blood Ox, which was 98%. I then took it using my Apple Watch Series 7, and it said 91%. So that was a disappointing discrepancy. I think they are interesting apps, but they are not really medically relevant, certainly not for trending a long term history. Any AME is going to want something more accurate.