PDA

View Full Version : Home made Co-axial helicopter

JBL99
13th Sep 2022, 17:07
This guy is making progress.... I can't find the earlier thread to add this to, but I know it's been on here at earlier stages in its manufacture! (Mods, feel free to move this if appropriate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr5MmUdgFPI

Lama Bear
13th Sep 2022, 19:08
He needs to shorten the cyclic. He is moving his arm to control the helicopter. I recommend the arm on his leg and move his wrist for control. My 2 cents.

14th Sep 2022, 07:55
Agree Lama Bear - stiff arming the cyclic isn't a good control method :ok:

Cornish Jack
14th Sep 2022, 09:43
+1 for 'wrist on knee' cyclic.
Seems to be remarkably little airframe vibration ... comparison with one hour Kaman Husky winching sortie, when, from memory, every component appeared to be moving in opposition to every other one !
Well done !

Flying Binghi
14th Sep 2022, 11:34
He needs to shorten the cyclic. He is moving his arm to control the helicopter. I recommend the arm on his leg and move his wrist for control. My 2 cents.

He comments on the cyclic issue in other vids. It appears he keeps his elbow to his body.

15th Sep 2022, 08:46
It appears he keeps his elbow to his body. Not as effective as wrist on knee as your arm isn't relaxed and you are using the big muscles in your arm and shoulder instead of the smaller muscles in your wrist and hand which allow for finer motor control.

RINKER
15th Sep 2022, 16:57
Maybe the controls are too heavy for shorter cyclic and he needs the leverage as controls unlikely to be hydraulically or electrically assisted etc
R

15th Sep 2022, 17:02
I should imagine that thing is a good bit lighter than an R22 or similar light helicopter and the control loads in the hover aren't high on that - having said that, without having a go in his homebuilt creation it would be difficult to say for sure.

Flying Binghi
16th Sep 2022, 01:18
I should imagine that thing is a good bit lighter than an R22 or similar light helicopter and the control loads in the hover aren't high on that - having said that, without having a go in his homebuilt creation it would be difficult to say for sure.

He comments on the ‘weight’ of the controls in prior videos.

As part of on-going improvements He changed the seating position for better cyclic control. I guess he has many more modifications in mind..:)

16th Sep 2022, 06:26
He comments on the ‘weight’ of the controls in prior videos Ah, OK, I haven't watched all his videos.

Flying Binghi
19th Sep 2022, 01:44
Interesting concept. Looks like the design is based on several helicopter ideas. One being the ‘hang glider’ type.

The chap mentions in the videos that it is a design research exercise that will only likely ever get hovered near the ground. Though, the recent death of the young helicopter designer in India shows even low hover has dangers…. Such is the costly evolution of aviation.

MagsOffTap
19th Sep 2022, 03:09
Braver than me.