PDA

View Full Version : Life jacket demo missed?

jthjth
12th Sep 2022, 20:03
Is it a requirement for a flight starting in UK (Luton) and finishing in Poland to have a life jacket demo? We had seatbelts and oxygen mask as part of the safety demo but no life jackets.

scoobytopdog
12th Sep 2022, 21:34
No problems here. Even if you would have had a double engine failure over the Channel, you would have crashed on dry land, so your life jacket would have been useless🛬👍😂😂😂😂

jthjth
13th Sep 2022, 05:41
Was more interested in the rules rather than the utility of the jacket.

DaveReidUK
13th Sep 2022, 06:37
No problems here. Even if you would have had a double engine failure over the Channel, you would have crashed on dry land, so your life jacket would have been useless

Yes, in the UK at least, the ANO states that the LJ demo requirements are dependent on how far from land you are likely to fly (including possible diversions).

jthjth
13th Sep 2022, 07:42
Yes, in the UK at least, the ANO states that the LJ demo requirements are dependent on how far from land you are likely to fly (including possible diversions).
Interesting thanks. I’m even more curious now. I’ve often wondered why Birmingham to Glasgow does the LJ demo. Perhaps just company policy? And as a side curiosity, has anyone in the history of civilian aviation use the whistle attached to the LJ to attract attention?

DaveReidUK
13th Sep 2022, 08:13
Interesting thanks. I’m even more curious now. I’ve often wondered why Birmingham to Glasgow does the LJ demo. Perhaps just company policy? And as a side curiosity, has anyone in the history of civilian aviation use the whistle attached to the LJ to attract attention?

It may well just be company policy - I don't know.

Though having said that, I suppose there's a small but finite chance that, should everything go quiet on approach to 23 at GLA, you could end up in the Clyde ...

Re the whistle, I recall a safety demo by a rather nice young steward on EZY who assured us that the light and whistle were to attract the attention of passing sailors.

V_2
13th Sep 2022, 08:42
I’ve often wondered why Birmingham to Glasgow does the LJ demo. Perhaps just company policy? And as a side curiosity, has anyone in the history of civilian aviation use the whistle attached to the LJ to attract attention?

1. it is cheaper to pre record 1 safety demonstration that covers all eventualities, rather than record and keep updating 2 on the PBS.

2. An episode of QI discussed the possibility that there is no evidence an aircraft life jacket has ever saved anyones life on a modern commercial airliner. They went into details, but you would have to find the episode to examine their evidence. But they cited also the Madagascar ditching where people died using the life jackets incorrectly/too early, and their advice was to leave the lifejackets alone and just get off the plane.a few minutes in the water and it’s game over anyway, you need the escape slides to survive. They also discussed that lifeboats are the most dangerous part of a ship, and more people/sailors died practising lifeboat drills than lifeboats themselves have ever saved. An interesting show for sure. I’d still insist on having my lifejackets though :)

wiggy
13th Sep 2022, 10:56
On for the legal beagles but UK ANO 105 sub-paras 3 and 5 might be relevant in some circumstances.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/765/article/105/made

I think it's generally considered that it is easier to do the LSJ demo every time as an SOP rather than have to change the brief depending on flight routing.

aloominumtoob
16th Sep 2022, 11:13
Thought they were called "flotation aids" nowadays. But we always check under the seat prior to departure. MEL 1 seat = 1 LSJ/flotation aid.

PAXboy
18th Sep 2022, 12:58
During the demo on a well known LCC, departing Aarhus - I made the standard check under my seat and no lifejacket. This was the first (and thus far only) time I have had this problem.

When the CC finished, I caught her attention and told her of the problem. "I'll get you a spare" You may not be surprised to learn that the spare never arrived. Another reason I never travel on them anymore.

redsnail
18th Sep 2022, 16:50
That has happened to me too. I was moved, seat number noted and hopefully the problem rectified.

Bergerie1
18th Sep 2022, 17:13
wiggy is right.

ShyTorque
18th Sep 2022, 18:52
During the demo on a well known LCC, departing Aarhus - I made the standard check under my seat and no lifejacket. This was the first (and thus far only) time I have had this problem.

When the CC finished, I caught her attention and told her of the problem. "I'll get you a spare" You may not be surprised to learn that the spare never arrived. Another reason I never travel on them anymore.

LJ was probably stolen by a previous passenger.

PAXboy
19th Sep 2022, 13:50
Yes, I'm sre it was. I had considered jumping up to make the cabin 'insecure' but I had little confidence in the ability of the crew to fix the problem. At Aarhus, on the departure we made, we were over water after about 30 seconds but I had more confidence in the 738 to climb out on one!

25F
20th Sep 2022, 23:59
Errr... the "miracle on the hudson" was most definitely an overland flight and most definitely ended up in the water.