PDA

View Full Version : easyjet gay recruitment

gayjet
27th Aug 2002, 16:43
just wasted hours doing an easy interview and have been rejected for cabin crew declaring a request for LGW base.

I was interested to discover that all male gay's got in, and girls/ straights were rejected, even though we were all experienced.

Whats going on here, surely that is discrimination, gays should be recruited in equal proportion to what one would come across in real life i.e. a couple of percent!! but I hear it's more like 80% at easy.

Anyone from easyjet care to comment! Is this just LGW base or everywhere? should I pretend to be gay to get the job and reapply?

Kalium Chloride
27th Aug 2002, 16:53
Were you asked your sexual orientation by EasyJet? If not then how did they differentiate between you?

Maybe being gay just happens, as a fringe benefit, to give you the kind of personality and human qualities that come across well in an interview and give the impression to the airline that you'd be better-able to handle the job than a different candidate.

You might have a case -- but I think you ought to check before balling in with the 'discrimination' card.

Look at the case of the deaf student trying to get into Oxford. Just because you get all 'A' grades doesn't mean the university automatically rolls out the red carpet for you. Getting into Oxford is as much about showing that you're a well-rounded, sociable individual, and not a boring swot with no life, as it is about academic ability.

You also have to be careful about applying population profiles. For example, the UK population is 50% male, 50% female. But the prison population probably isn't. And it shouldn't be. The prison population needs to reflect the profile of the population which is actually committing crime.

Kanos
27th Aug 2002, 16:55
If they asked you if you were gay, then im sure thats against the law.

HugMonster
27th Aug 2002, 17:36
This sounds like an unwarrantable slur on easyJet's recruitment. Do you mean, as your post appears to imply, that all the gay male applicants were hired? Does it also mean that all female applicant and all heterosexual male applicants were rejected? How do you, let alone easyJet, know the sexual orientation of all the applicants? How do you know so intimately all the recruitment results? Given your reaction to failing the application, do you feel that perhaps your attitudes to some sectors of the community may not be what they require in their Cabin Crew? Are you sure that you are not simply experiencing a few sour grapes having failed the application?

MarkD
27th Aug 2002, 19:10
Are you sure you didn't apply to Air Scotia?

More seriously, gay lads I know are personable and superb dressers - I buy most of my clothes from a gay shop assistant who is always well turned out. CC is not a place for the sloppy [although EI's criteria seem to be mutton made-up as...]

I also hear that gay lads are very much in demand as waiters as they don't break stuff and handle customers well - one restauranteur gradually got to 100% gay male staff and is doing a lot better since.

BIG E
27th Aug 2002, 20:38
There is a high percentage within easyjet,and i'm sure they do
'handle the customers well'!

near enuf is good enuf
28th Aug 2002, 04:59
"Getting into Oxford is as much about showing that you're a well-rounded, sociable individual, and not a boring swot with no life, as it is about academic ability."

:rolleyes: Yeh right :rolleyes:

ex cabin crew
28th Aug 2002, 07:37
Totally agree with you HugMonster. Unless of course easyjet have sent all recruitment staff on a course to get their psychic "gaydars" working.

RODDERS
28th Aug 2002, 14:35
too many gay people in this industry

Tiger
28th Aug 2002, 14:44
RODDERS

Have a read of the following

www.observer.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,772657,00.html (http://www.observer.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,772657,00.html)

Better NOT join the Police Force then! :rolleyes:

Psr777
28th Aug 2002, 16:28
ooooooohhhhhhh great a REAL discussion..........

For christ's sake, get a life.

It doesn't matter if you are gay or straight, male or female. we all know that airline interviews are difficult, not because of the "tests" or "psychoanalytical profiles" you have to complete. They have always been difficult because there are such a large proportion of people applying for the job and airlines can afford to be picky (not that they always get it right mind you).

To turn this into a gay/straight debate is utter crap and is really boring.

RODDERS - great to see you are a team player and can be relied upon by your colleagues eh? :o :o :o

suzanna
28th Aug 2002, 18:05
Well, not suzanna, but pete (her other half) so that sort of confirms that I am straight and I work for ezy as cabin crew and know a good few other guys who are straight cabin crew.
I only got in after my second interview....so if you want it then try again! On my interview the guy who did not make it through was the gay guy.
There is no logical explanation how they choose people - say the right things at the right times, smile when they look in your direction, whatever...but they did not send you home empty handed because you were straight.

Pete

ex cabin crew
28th Aug 2002, 18:33
Suzanna are you by any chance from South Africa? If so would be great to hear from you - if you are the right person, we flew a lot together last year and I left to buy a pub in Berkshire. My email is [email protected]. Thanks

rolandpull
28th Aug 2002, 23:18
Nice joke, mate.... but not on this thread, don't want the reaction, thank you. Keep it clean... £6

I see that EZY are changing the uniforms for CC. Will this mean that the gash bags will be changed to co-ordinate like the orange ones did?

Zerfas
29th Aug 2002, 09:31
Gayjet, hello! Im on the easyJet cabin crew recruitment team, and I nearly choked on my cornflakes when I saw the original post! Are you being serious??

I can categorically state that we never have and never would recruit someone based on their sexual orientation:eek: And, how are we supposed to know what your orientation is anyway?

I have a finely tuned gaydar, but even I make mistakes!

:) :)

As has been previously stated in the preceding posts, all airlines have a high standard for its cabin crew applicants to achieve. It is tough to get in (we only take about one in ten!!!) and just because someone has previous flying experience does not guarantee success.

In closing, I do wonder if you may have just proven our point for us, that you were not the right type of person for easyJet....answers on a postcard???:rolleyes: :p :p

Tiger
29th Aug 2002, 11:42
In fact Zerfas is correct, and true of may airlines. Although EasyJet tends to be different to the other carriers. Some of there so called novel ideas in recruitment of cabin crew have been used before with other airlines.

I attended an EasyJet interview a few years back, and was unsuccessful. I had a few years experience and done everything from "Junior" (horrid word that) to SEP and Security Trainer.

I even interviewed in my last job. And its true with some candidates at interview think "Oh I`ve flown before so I`ll get the job" is a big mistake.

I have an idea why I was unsuccessful and that is because I wouldn`t have "fitted" into the EasyJet mould and there ethos.

All airlines are different....me I had an interview which went very well and even if I didn`t get the job I would have been happy with my performance on the day.

And where I am now, I would even give EasyJet a minutes thought, coz the works easier, paid more and terms and conditions excellent and although no fault of the crews the EasyJet Marketing Dept needs shooting with there "bad mouthing other carriers" ....now we get the last laugh (EZY bad press in recent weeks) and the great marketing department has at last "shut up"!

Moneyshot
29th Aug 2002, 12:07
Very strange post indeed. I consider my 'gaydar' rather good, but in my company, I work with a) One bloke who's as bent as a nine bob note but is a bit of a roughy toughy East-ender type and b) A manager who sounds and acts queer but is a bit of a lad.
Now this has got to be confusing. How on earth can a potential employer decide who is gay and who is not. It would be unfair to rely on gaydar alone. If there is to be a quota system then there must be a box to tick on the application form. However, I understand that it is illegal to recruit on the basis of sexual orientation anyway so lets just stick with the criterion of ability, experience and suitability for the job shall we ?

ezygalleyboy
2nd Sep 2002, 17:17
Well having been through the EZJ recruitment process myself, I can confirm that we were not asked our sexual orientation.

Out of all the interviews I attended, I found EZJ to be the least judgemental. They seemed a lot more interested in me as a person, rather than my qualifications and experience.

I think most people reading the initial post will have a pretty good idea why the poster didn't get in just from the tone of the message.

Don't knock EZJ until you've tried it.

I love the people I work with, they are all fantastic.

Just shoot Ray Webster and the entire rostoring department and it would be perfect.

xx

9.81m/s/s
3rd Sep 2002, 19:24
Remember folks - you are only gay if you are the catcher - pitching is ok!!!