PDA

View Full Version : Help - Put your oar in

Decimal
27th Aug 2002, 16:17
Any advice really appreciated;

Currently low time Canadian CPL holder trying to find work groundcrew, flightcrew, anywhere. British citizen. I've been looking into converting licence or do additional ratings in Canada and still don't know which way to go.
Been down the FAA route to get intrument, instructor etc, but cannot get J1 visa 'cos already hold a CPL.
Been down the JAR route for conversion and IR, CRM etc - for reasons too long to explain here, i cannot get an unrestricted JAR class 1 til July 2005!
Done the 12,000km Canadian road trip east to west operators with resumes to no avail.
Most Canadian FTO's suggest for IR you do most of it on fixed wing + simulator and about 5 hrs rotary - does anyone know who offers a program in Canada that does this?
Furthermore does anyone know of an operator you can throw your money at (mountain, IR, external load) that will at least offer you a ground crew postion on completion .

Any other suggestions to get a foot in the door somewhere(anywhere) gratefully received.

Cheers

Decimal

:( :confused:

SASless
27th Aug 2002, 17:06
US Army has a wonderful mountain flying program going in Afghanistan.....leads to a Military Competency Commercial with Instrument rating upon graduation from Army flight school and accumulation of hours ....just a thought.

Decimal
27th Aug 2002, 20:57
Thanks for the thought SAS, but I be a Brit. Doesn't sound feasible for me to enrol with US Army - no problems with going to Afghanistan though....

Cheers

Decimal

imabell
27th Aug 2002, 23:06
hi decimal

i think you can actually enlist in the us army.

that used to be another way to become a citizen if i remember rightly??

don't know if they still do that though.

Dick Mitten
31st Aug 2002, 14:21
Hi Decimal,

I'd say yer best bet is to focus the search in northern Alberta. Hit all the outfits that operate Robinson products to service the gas industry. Visit them again and again and again. That shows commitment and determination, and also increases the chances that you'll be showing up on the day they need someone.

The "Operators" issue of Helicopters mag can help you focus yer search. Transport Canada also has a downloadable list of all registered a/c in Canada. Once downloaded, open it in a spreadsheet program and sort it by type and province. Voila! You've got your travel itinerary. Sorry, I don't have the address for that site.

Best of luck, and most importantly, DON'T QUIT LOOKING!!!

Decimal
1st Sep 2002, 09:28
Thanks for the advice Dick. In May, I visited most of the ops in Alberta (airborne, highland etc). Filled out the application at Airborne, and at that time there were literally over forty low time guys (all Canadians) staying in Whitecourt visiting them. The advice I got from one of the head honchos was that eventually they become a nuisance and the best thing to do is to come back with a few more hours....
Highland in Grand Prairie were very good and offered a lot of good advice and I've wriiteen to their CP - still waiting a reply...

I'd go out there again and park myself on the operators doorsteps with a sleeping bag and tent if I thought it would do any good. Sounds defeatist I know but that money could be better spent towards another 100 hours or so. Unless you know of operators that are genuinely hiring low timers at the mo.

Incidentally, do you know how to get in touch with human resources (Canada) for a work a permit , and how difficult is it to get.

Cheers

Decimal
PS Got the Helicopters Magazine with all the ops in it and I've been to 90% of the operators