PDA

View Full Version : The Duxford Wing

ORAC
10th Sep 2022, 21:49
Probably the wrong forum, however…

https://twitter.com/planestv/status/1568661694796431361?s=21&t=akRUlfCKPjOqSQyCRWg1LA

pr00ne
11th Sep 2022, 06:36
Incredible.

Thanks for posting.

Herod
11th Sep 2022, 07:56
Thanks for that. It might also be worth posting on the Nostalgia and History forum. A lot of people who aren't military would be happy to see it.

bobward
11th Sep 2022, 16:57
A first glance I thought this was connected to the RAF use of civvy airport trhread.

rolling20
11th Sep 2022, 16:59
IIRC, either very late 90's or possibly early 00's, there was a flypast of 24 Spitfires at Duxford.
At the time it was billed as the largest flypast since WW2 and a bonus was they got special permission from the CAA to fly N/S over the crowdline.

VictorGolf
11th Sep 2022, 17:10
It would have been 25 if one of the Spitfire pilots hadn't over-indulged on Greene King the night before (allegedly).

uxb99
11th Sep 2022, 19:31
Question for Spitfire experts.
One of the Spitfires at Duxford has two ports for Cannon on each wing but only one cannon fitted. The other port has a stub and is faired over.
Question. What's the point in having the port at all. Why not just fair over the hole and just have the one gun? What's the point in having an unused port that would cause drag?

Stitchbitch
11th Sep 2022, 20:20
Question for Spitfire experts.
One of the Spitfires at Duxford has two ports for Cannon on each wing but only one cannon fitted. The other port has a stub and is faired over.
Question. What's the point in having the port at all. Why not just fair over the hole and just have the one gun? What's the point in having an unused port that would cause drag?

No expert, but it sounds like a 'C' type wing, so originally produced for 4 x 20mm Hispano cannon and 4 x .303 machine guns. It was felt that 2 cannon did the job sufficiently well, so the 2 outboard cannon were often removed and short rubber stubs were inserted into the unused cannon ports instead.
The earlier 'B' wing had 2 x 20mm and no spare ports.

Herod
11th Sep 2022, 21:08
rolling20. BoB celebration 2000. Sixty years. I was there, and as they flew over, accompanied by Churchill's speech, I handed my son-in-law a bottle of Spitfire Ale with the comment "it doesn't get better than this"

rolling20
11th Sep 2022, 22:54
rolling20. BoB celebration 2000. Sixty years. I was there, and as they flew over, accompanied by Churchill's speech, I handed my son-in-law a bottle of Spitfire Ale with the comment "it doesn't get better than this"
Herod, I was there as well, but couldn't remember the year, so thank you.

treadigraph
12th Sep 2022, 07:51
Herod, I was there as well, but couldn't remember the year, so thank you.

Me too... thrilling moment.

longer ron
12th Sep 2022, 21:50
We (other half + myself) were down south last week and had a spare sunday,so we took a risk with the weather and booked for Duxford on sunday.
We were lucky with the weather and had a completely dry day :).
The Duxford Wing flypasts were impressive,led by 3 x Spitfire 1A's whistling away nicely :).
After 2 minutes silence for obvious reason - It was a nice long flying programme from 1310 until approx 1715 (not 100% sure as did not wear a watch).
We enjoyed the variety of many types flying,inc Norwegian Vampire as the only jet !
I particularly enjoyed seeing and hearing the Corsair,Bearcat and Spitfire 16 (Suffolk Spitfire) - but hats off to all concerned for a well planned event and the pleasure of watching lots of smooth display flying :)
I had not been to Dux for many years and the OH has never been to a Dux display,she really enjoyed the show !