PDA

View Full Version : China Ops

caevans
10th Sep 2022, 18:17
Anyone had a recent China corporate trip that would care to share their experience?

happyjack
11th Sep 2022, 12:20
It may be out of date as it was a few years ago but I got up early in the morning to get to the London Chinese Embassy an hour before opening time to get a visa. It was raining and there was already a 150m queue! They close visa applications at 12.00 or 13.00 as I recall? I queued in the rain all morning and got to the counter just as they were closing! "Come back tomorrow" was the response. Completely wasted day! I needed the visa there and then as I was about to embark on a round the globe sortie encompassing China. So we set off minus the visa not knowing what was going to happen? Prior to China I had a few days flying internally in Australia so used an agent there to get a Chinese visa issued for me. It was very much touch and go down to the last minute to get my passport back including the visa but we got it. The next day we left Sydney for Beijing only for the agent there to inform me that crew visas could be issued upon landing!!! Something the Embassy in London insisted was not possible. Other than that I remember everything very grey! The buildings, the sky, the people. 'Not somewhere I would rush back to? Oh and don't forget your Chinese FL conversion charts. They are unique!

SOPS
11th Sep 2022, 12:33
It may be out of date as it was a few years ago but I got up early in the morning to get to the London Chinese Embassy an hour before opening time to get a visa. It was raining and there was already a 150m queue! They close visa applications at 12.00 or 13.00 as I recall? I queued in the rain all morning and got to the counter just as they were closing! "Come back tomorrow" was the response. Completely wasted day! I needed the visa there and then as I was about to embark on a round the globe sortie encompassing China. So we set off minus the visa not knowing what was going to happen? Prior to China I had a few days flying internally in Australia so used an agent there to get a Chinese visa issued for me. It was very much touch and go down to the last minute to get my passport back including the visa but we got it. The next day we left Sydney for Beijing only for the agent there to inform me that crew visas could be issued upon landing!!! Something the Embassy in London insisted was not possible. Other than that I remember everything very grey! The buildings, the sky, the people. 'Not somewhere I would rush back to? Oh and don't forget your Chinese FL conversion charts. They are unique!

I have operated into China many times. For me ( ex EK) we got visas on arrival. And I agree..DO NOT FORGET your FL conversions charts. They are very very very unique!!!!!

caevans
12th Sep 2022, 16:21
I've also done many trips to China but not since Covid. Just wondering if anyone had been there recently.