PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Exams at Gatwick and Oxford

Haul By Cable
27th Aug 2002, 14:59
I realise they are both popular venues, but does anybody have a rough idea as to how far in advance you would have to book, in order to get a place at either Oxford or Gatwick?

Thankyou kindly,

Haul

Broken Wings
27th Aug 2002, 15:59
Haul

Last year I booked Oxford 4 weeks in advance. However have you considered Silsoe? Its's an excellent venue see my comments on this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60141&highlight=Silsoe).

Haul By Cable
27th Aug 2002, 16:40
Thankyou BW!

Silsoe sounds perfect! After looking it up on the map, it does seem a bit out in the sticks?

As I don't have a car, my only concern is getting from Bristol to Silsoe.

However, once there, it sounds ideal.

Thanks again :)

Haul

Haul By Cable
27th Aug 2002, 20:28
OK!

Scratch last comments, after evening on internet, most transport issues now solved...

... Silsoe's number one in the running so far, but by way of comparison, it would be REALLY good if someone could tell me what distances are involved in getting from usual accommodation at Gatwick to the exam center there!? :)

Howski
28th Aug 2002, 11:04
Hello

Booking for Oxford usually have to be made well in advance as they have their Integrated and D/L students taking their exams there, it will also depend on what exam you are booking, usually the likes of Perf & Inst exams are busy coz there are many re-sitting.
When I attended exams in Gatwick I stayed at the Ramada Jarvis ( 80 quid a night ) and its a tenners taxi ride from the hotel to the exam centre, It was easier to get a sitting at GW, but again it will depend on the exam , my Inst re-sit was completely full as was my Met re-sit.
There is also one of those Comfort Inn hotels just next to the Airport at 50 quid a night and again around a tenner to get to the exam centre.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the exams.

Howski
:D

SPRINTING RABBIT
28th Aug 2002, 11:45
Alternatively, you could stay at a B&b near Gatwick for about £25 a night and there are several who provide lifts to and from the CAA. Do a search on accom near Gatwick or phone one of the groundschools for a copy of their lists.
Good luck and make sure they have a desk in the room!