PDA

View Full Version : UK to Oostende Advice

admuffin
7th Sep 2022, 17:53
Hey guys,

After an initial channel crossing to LFAT I’m hooked and would like to explore further! This time to Oostende but I have a few questions:

- My biggest concern is that to get to Oostende I have to transit through Koksijde military air base. I’ve read online that it’s not a very active base but I still have to get clearance. Koksijde is very close to Oostende (EBOS) so in a very short space of time I need to call: KOK -> EBOS ATIS get info before initial call -> EBOS approach. Not sure I can juggle this. Any ideas?

- When flying in Europe do you use charts or rely on Skydemon only? I can see a few brands in the Pooleys shop but I’m not sure which brand is best.

- Is there any advantage in going via France rather than more directly via Dover -> KONAN VRP -> Koksije, other than avoiding more sea?

Thanks!

UV
7th Sep 2022, 21:59
Ostend will advise you of the status of Koksijde and associated danger areas. Call them early and act appropriately. They will often clear you through.

Contact Approach
8th Sep 2022, 11:48
Flying in europe is generally alot more straightforward than the UK. More often than not they’ll just clear you through or advise otherwise.

admuffin
8th Sep 2022, 15:19
Ostend will advise you of the status of Koksijde and associated danger areas. Call them early and act appropriately. They will often clear you through.

Thanks, I'll try calling EBOS first. Do you normally fly direct or via France?

Flying in europe is generally alot more straightforward than the UK. More often than not they’ll just clear you through or advise otherwise.

That's a relief. I did find the French ATC rather forgiving!
Do you normally carry European charts?