PDA

View Full Version : 50 thou aviation overlay question

kintyred
6th Sep 2022, 18:19
I noticed an ‘N’ in a circle - the same type of symbol as, for example ‘LA’, denoting a light aircraft strip. The ‘N’ was close a body of water (Frensham Pond near Farnham). Any idea what it denotes?

luckyrat
6th Sep 2022, 19:25
N udist area
N uclear submarines only
N o helicopters
N o idea

I’m sure some cartographer who is more sensible and less bored than me will be along soon……😹

NutLoose
6th Sep 2022, 19:48
Secret Russian base? Z on its side? Cannot see anything here

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1991/2437/made

langleybaston
6th Sep 2022, 20:14
Newts? Endangered species, no low flying area?

meleagertoo
6th Sep 2022, 20:15
There is a 50thou aviation overlay series????

New one on me!

But if there is then equally there is also a symbols decode.

luckyrat
6th Sep 2022, 20:37
I noticed an ‘N’ in a circle - the same type of symbol as, for example ‘LA’, denoting a light aircraft strip. The ‘N’ was close a body of water (Frensham Pond near Farnham). Any idea what it denotes?

I’m really sorry that my fellow professional aviators where as equally helpful……😾

Ninthace
6th Sep 2022, 21:05
Sure it wasn't an M?

gipsymagpie
6th Sep 2022, 22:24
Sure it wasn't an M?
Pretty sure that's Wishanger Farm Strip. An M seems very likely

Sideshow Bob
7th Sep 2022, 09:38
I’m really sorry that my fellow professional aviators where as equally helpful……😾

Just to be helpful, chart legends can be found at the link below (for MIL AIP, civil equivelents are available). Can't find a N in a circle though, sure it's not a M?

https://www.aidu.mod.uk/aip/pdf/gen/GEN-2-3.pdf

p.s. after a bit of googling, it appears that there's a heliport at Frensham Pond Hotel (Frensham Great Pond) so it's probably a H.

gipsymagpie
7th Sep 2022, 12:04
Nope it's an H! I just checked it. I'll admit a quick inspection makes you think it's an N but it's an H. For hotel obviously

BEagle
7th Sep 2022, 13:13
Nope - 'H' in a circle denotes a helicopter landing site. Which can be at an hotel.

Minnie Burner
7th Sep 2022, 15:18
As it turns out: Nearest Specsavers, probably.
I guess that's another dead thread...

DaveReidUK
7th Sep 2022, 16:07
Nope - 'H' in a circle denotes a helicopter landing site. Which can be at an hotel.

I read it like that at first and then I realised that the poster meant that the helipad was obviously for the hotel.

gipsymagpie
7th Sep 2022, 17:15
I read it like that at first and then I realised that the poster meant that the helipad was obviously for the hotel.
Yes sorry, that's what I meant.

Close the thread moderators, nothing more to see here....

Sideshow Bob
7th Sep 2022, 20:18
Nope it's an H! I just checked it. I'll admit a quick inspection makes you think it's an N but it's an H. For hotel obviously
I don't know, you try to be helpful.... If you'd bothered to check the legend it's pretty obvious what H is. You can lead a horse to water...

gipsymagpie
7th Sep 2022, 20:21
I don't know, you try to be helpful.... If you'd bothered to check the legend it's pretty obvious what H is. You can lead a horse to water...
no, I think you missed the point. It's an H for a helipad for the hotel....Frensham Pond Hotel & Spa

pasta
8th Sep 2022, 06:57
no, I think you missed the point. It's an H for a helipad for the hotel....
I'm pretty sure it's actually for helicopters...

gipsymagpie
8th Sep 2022, 07:07
I'm pretty sure it's actually for helicopters...
I think you'll find we are in violent agreement. Don't understand what your point is

pasta
8th Sep 2022, 07:25
I think you'll find we are in violent agreement. Don't understand what your point is
Humour, old chap. The helipad may be AT the hotel, but it's FOR helicopters.

gipsymagpie
8th Sep 2022, 07:41
Humour, old chap. The helipad may be AT the hotel, but it's FOR helicopters.
ah a pedant after my own heart :). I totally haven't corrected the spelling of pedant....

langleybaston
8th Sep 2022, 09:51
ah a pendant after my own heart :)

pendant? Hang on!

ShyTorque
8th Sep 2022, 11:04
I used the Frensham Pond landing site some years ago. Unless it’s been altered, beware that what appears to be the actual pad is in fact a circular rose bed! Thankfully the scratches on the paint polished out….. :ooh:

What made me even more surprised was the adjacent grass microlight strip a couple hundred metres away, which would have been far more suitable to land on. It wasn’t marked on the chart back then!

kintyred
8th Sep 2022, 12:49
Yes, sorry. Mystery over….it is indeed an H…but the wire overlay and other clutter made it look very like an N, honest. Even my copilot thought so, but we did have a combined age of over 110, and the light was poor, and I didn’t have my glasses, and the screen was dirty, and….anyway, sorry!

Sideshow Bob
8th Sep 2022, 13:35
I used the Frensham Pond landing site some years ago. Unless it’s been altered, beware that what appears to be the actual pad is in fact a circular rose bed! Thankfully the scratches on the paint polished out….. :ooh:

What made me even more surprised was the adjacent grass microlight strip a couple hundred metres away, which would have been far more suitable to land on. It wasn’t marked on the chart back then!
sssooooooooo... It could be a M or a H but definately not a N!