PDA

View Full Version : Buying duty free for travel to Spain from UK

furrybeast
5th Sep 2022, 20:23
Anyone know what, if any, restrictions there are in buying goods at World Duty Free for traveling to a EU country? Only thing I can see online is that "large purchases may be referred to UK border force"

What would constitute a "large purchase"?

I have done a dummy click and collect order and there doesn't seem to be any limits or warnings.

25F
5th Sep 2022, 20:55
Worth checking that it is actually cheaper than at destination.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/alcohol-tobacco-cash/index_en.htm
has the rules.

Alsacienne
5th Sep 2022, 21:35
And where in Spain might you be travelling to? The allowances for the Canary Islands are different (less!) than for Schengen Spain ....

aloominumtoob
6th Sep 2022, 16:17
May be worth checking the Spanish supermarket web sites for prices, as invariably they are cheaper than "duty free" outlets.
alt

Nightstop
6th Sep 2022, 16:55
If you’re travelling to mainland Spain, I agree with the above that wines and brand named spirits there are much cheaper than in Dufry (aka WDF). Carrefour Spain stocks a Scottish blended whisky called “Loch Castle”, which I’m convinced is identical to FG but at less than €8 per litre. It’s imported in tankers from Scotland and bottled in Spain. French wines (Cotes de Rhone, Bordeaux) are also available in Carrefour Spain but you have to search for them, usually at €3.50 per 75cls. Spanish wines predominate, of course.

25F
6th Sep 2022, 20:22
I did my own check the other night and found two bottles of Ballantine's at WDF for less than the Carrefoure price.

crewmeal
8th Sep 2022, 06:07
Judging by the prices of so called duty free, there is no such thing anymore. Whilst looking around T2 at LHR I came across Inmotion who told me there is no VAT exclusion on electrical items. So you're better off going to Curry's Amazon etc for your goods. Yes there were some booze 50% off, but usually unpopular brands.

My favourite sweets are wine gums!! £1 in Sainsbury's, £2.99 in W H Smiths.

furrybeast
8th Sep 2022, 21:13
Anyone know what, if any, restrictions there are in buying goods at World Duty Free for traveling to a EU country? Only thing I can see online is that "large purchases may be referred to UK border force"

What would constitute a "large purchase"?

I have done a dummy click and collect order and there doesn't seem to be any limits or warnings.

Thanks for all the replies. Perhaps I need to clarify. Just say, hypothetically, I had a cheap one way boarding pass to anywhere in the EU and filled my bag with duty free cigarettes but before my flight, I had a family emergency and had to leave the airport...

nomilk
9th Sep 2022, 18:15
Thanks for all the replies. Perhaps I need to clarify. Just say, hypothetically, I had a cheap one way boarding pass to anywhere in the EU and filled my bag with duty free cigarettes but before my flight, I had a family emergency and had to leave the airport...
Then you would have to declare anything above the UK limit to UK customs in the red channel.

Saintsman
10th Sep 2022, 15:39
Thread drift, but coming in and out a few times this year, stuff was often cheaper in town. Unless, as crewmen has stated, they have a deal on...

The other problem at airports is carrying it. You can buy 4 litres of spirits each coming into the UK. Some terminals are a long way from the shops when you are also carrying a bag.

SWBKCB
10th Sep 2022, 16:18
You can buy 4 litres of spirits each coming into the UK

I always thought allowing people to carry 4 litres of inflammable liquid in glass containers on board was a great idea :ok: