PDA

View Full Version : (software-limited) top speed

esa-aardvark
2nd Sep 2022, 11:34
Came across the term in 'Navy lookout' online.
Applies to F35 aircraft.
Anyone know what that means ?

BEagle
2nd Sep 2022, 13:24
Probably something like the software speed limiter in my car? The car is capable of 282 kph, but is electronically limited to 250 kph.

Not_a_boffin
2nd Sep 2022, 14:29
Came across the term in 'Navy lookout' online.
Applies to F35 aircraft.
Anyone know what that means ?

Yes. Pertains to specific evolutions.

albatross
3rd Sep 2022, 14:27
Don’t some aircraft also have G limiting to avoid bending the airframe and annoying the powers that be. “Yes he was shot down but no aircraft limits were exceeded due to our DGTDDT software. (Don’t Go There, Don’t Do That)”.

megan
4th Sep 2022, 01:36
Don’t some aircraft also have G limiting to avoid bending the airframeYes, chap in Germany pulled the wings off an F-15 while giving an impromptu air display, following refueling had forgotten to tell the computer he had full drop tanks, computer then didn't give him the correct 'g' limit warning tone in the headset, in his haste to get going had also forgotten to strap in so no successful ejection.

Kiltrash
4th Sep 2022, 06:18
I also have one of these in my car, it's called the wife.

Ewan Whosearmy
4th Sep 2022, 19:24
Yes, chap in Germany pulled the wings off an F-15 while giving an impromptu air display, following refueling had forgotten to tell the computer he had full drop tanks, computer then didn't give him the correct 'g' limit warning tone in the headset, in his haste to get going had also forgotten to strap in so no successful ejection.

Source? Never heard of this and my BS meter is pegged.

megan
5th Sep 2022, 00:03
Source? Never heard of this and my BS meter is peggedWas cited in a human factors book purchased some two decades ago, since given away, author I forget, but was a highly respected individual within the aviation community, pilot was of little experience making a refueling stop and had been asked by the ground crew to do a beat up upon departure. You're quite entitled to say the author was talking crap, not that I'm misreporting what was written.

Ewan Whosearmy
5th Sep 2022, 11:40
Megan

I owe you an apology. It did happen - Alaska, not Germany.

Accident McDonnell Douglas F-15A Eagle 74-0087, 24 Jun 1985 (aviation-safety.net) (https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/60404?fbclid=IwAR2FhDa9gWnMhM7t2d0Xl17XDcVYf_XuUlj0V-zNpV83Cb48s7LYpV8fA7o)

212man
5th Sep 2022, 13:51
Megan

I owe you an apology. It did happen - Alaska, not Germany.

Accident McDonnell Douglas F-15A Eagle 74-0087, 24 Jun 1985 (aviation-safety.net) (https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/60404?fbclid=IwAR2FhDa9gWnMhM7t2d0Xl17XDcVYf_XuUlj0V-zNpV83Cb48s7LYpV8fA7o)
The F-15A instantly and violently broke apart, exploded into flames

I think this tends to negate the suggestion about not strapping in though. Sounds reminiscent of the F-14 fly by

sandiego89
7th Sep 2022, 15:43
I also have one of these in my car, it's called the wife.

My WIFE unit is also programmed to advise me of vehicles braking ahead, optimal windscreen wiper rate, appropriate following distance and route selection. It really is a multi-faceted device, with features introduced long before so called "smart-car" technology

pasta
7th Sep 2022, 16:02
My WIFE unit is also programmed to advise me of vehicles braking ahead, optimal windscreen wiper rate, appropriate following distance and route selection. It really is a multi-faceted device, with features introduced long before so called "smart-car" technology
Mine was uninstalled and fitted to another model, which was the best outcome for all concerned. Its ASI was out of calibration, the compass had failed completely and the map display was stuck in "heading up" mode.

Thud_and_Blunder
8th Sep 2022, 12:15
Please PLEASE can PPRuNe have a 'like' button for the above posts? Pretty please?

The issue has been requested to IB many, many times.

We live in hope 😇

Senior Pilot

albatross
8th Sep 2022, 13:29
Mine was uninstalled and fitted to another model, which was the best outcome for all concerned. Its ASI was out of calibration, the compass had failed completely and the map display was stuck in "heading up" mode.

We would sometimes swap parts to install them on another aircraft in order to dispatch an aircraft on a contract with sufficient hours remaining to complete the contract without having to ship and install parts in the field on the other side of the world. We would fill out the tech log/ parts tag “Reason for removal” as “Removed for convenience”. Sounds like what you did. Good forward planning!