PDA

View Full Version : CAA-FAA Licence applications...

PA28-161
27th Aug 2002, 12:52
Well....I contacted the Miami FSDO to check out the process...just show up with licence and medical, they said - no problem. I'm going 02 September for 18 days holiday, thought I could rent a new 172 from marathon airport in the Keys for a laugh...next day FSDO informs me the FAA have suspended all licence conversions!
Indefinitely.

1 week later...FSDO mail me, say the FAA will give the tempo licence if you follow a verification procedure and mail copies of all the paperwork to the Oklahoma City offices...so I do that. Ask for expedite on this as it's close to travelling time. They mail back - seems the CAA won't verify my licence on data protection/medical privacy/staffing issues! Oho!

Read interesting info on CAA website:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_flying_in_USA.pdf
This says the CAA sent the FAA a guide to spotting dud CAA licences! Salt in the wound after 9/11 or what!
Rang FCL - I don't know about all of U but privacy be damned, sure all they'd need is for the CAA to say YES, Mr X DOES have licence no 12345, medical 67890. FCL say they only have 4 very hard pushed staff as it is without processing an estimated 3000 verifications per year.

And there it is. Detente - Impasse. FAA will grant if you're verified, CAA haven't the manpower.

Does anyone else think this really sucks?

In addition, I contacted Naples AC in western Florida - thought someone might have a loophole somewhere. Nope - and now it seems that unless you're hourbuilding, if you fly stateside for the provision of a licence or rating you need a student visa, and over a month's notice for the granting of one. So much for any last-minute flying breaks.

I hope this madness ends soon!

jstew15
29th Aug 2002, 10:26
I'm due to go out on the 14th September to fly with a friend. I sent my stuff off to Oklahoma too. Spoke to the CAA today and they said they are doing nothing about it at the moment, so it looks like we will both have to hire a C152 each using a Student Pilor Cert, when in the states and not a nice PA-28 Archer II.

This really does need to be sorted out soon!

JS:mad:

PA28-161
30th Sep 2002, 11:19
Hmmm, home from Florida. Not a FSDO or CAA FCL mail in sight.
Company is sending me to Chicago (again) for 3 months this time, Nov-Jan, will contact the Oklahoma boys and tell 'em if the validation comes through to send it to the Chicago FSDO instead of Miami. Last time I was there, the local airport's pilots association arranged a flight for me in a Piper Saratoga (mmmm) and the bloke let me do all the handling bar t/o and land. Flew past the Chicago skyline, on the Lake Michigan side. Wonder if THAT's still possible???!:(

I get any further info, I'll post it. Thanxxx for the reply.

Barry