PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Aptitude

SamPope5
1st Sep 2022, 10:35
Hi,

First time posting although been reading the forums for years :)

I have recently sat the ADAPT aptitude test for the EasyJet MPL on my second attempt. First time I missed out on the physics component, but this time around I passed physics but failed the FAST test. It has got me thinking if I am actually cut out to be a pilot I know this assessments are mandatory for most airlines once you start the process of applying. I am due to start ATPL theory in January and going to commit fully to the training. I am concerned I will get to the other end and will struggle to get through this aptitude assessments making me unemployable. I have never had any issues with GCSE/A levels exams, but I will admit I was very disheartened when I failed this exam as I had been practicing and revising for this assessment and this opportunity is now closed to me...

Is there any resources/company out there to see if I have a natural aptitude to get through the airline assessments as I know flight schools tend to accept anyone with there aptitude exams as you are a paying customer at the end of the day. I have established a very stable career in the finance industry, but want to follow my dream, but if I get to the other end after forking out for the training and I'm ineligible then its money down the drain. I passed my PPL in minimum hours, but I would put that down to the amazing flight instructor I had :D

Thanks in advance,
Sam

RichardH
1st Sep 2022, 14:32
If you have done a PPL in minimum hours I wouldn't be too concerned about aptitude tests. As you already hold a PPL sticking to the more flexible modular route gives you lots of options. Take each stage as it comes, only if you have constant & persistent problems (there will be some setbacks) would I reconsider your plans. At least you have had a backup plan in finance should the need arise. Once you hold a Frozen ATPL most airlines are unlikely to ask you to do a basic aptitude test they are more interested in your flying & MCC skills along with sim check rides, there are several companies out there providing assistance for this.

Don't forget airlines recruit on a supply/demand basis & their requirements can change up or down very quickly, it will be another year at least before you are in this position, best of luck.

SamPope5
1st Sep 2022, 17:38
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate this input.

Sam

paco
1st Sep 2022, 17:49
As always, wise words from Richard...

Speaking from my own experience in hiring, psycho tests are a bit of a waste of time anyway. All the people they suggested were good for the job I wouldn't have touched with a bargepole :)

Just because one company doesn't want you, doesn't mean that another won't hire you. A positive attitude is always helpful. And yes, good luck!