PDA

View Full Version : Log in before being able to see Jet Blast?

farsouth
30th Aug 2022, 22:35
Does anyone know why you now seem to have to log in before being able to see Jet Blast, whereas all other pages seem fine just as a guest?

Old_Slartibartfast
31st Aug 2022, 07:49
I suspect it's a part of the continuing move to try and sideline JB and eventually delete it. There have been many comments over the years that JB absorbs more moderator effort than many other parts of this forum, and I strongly suspect that the powers that be want rid of it. If you remember, JB got relegated to the bottom of the heap some years ago, a move intended to try to make it less popular. Then there were posting restrictions imposed to stop new members posting there until they had gained a certain amount of street cred elsewhere. Now it's been made members-only, and I suspect the hope is that this will make it even less popular.

TWT
31st Aug 2022, 07:54
No, I don't know why but I have the same problem as of the last few days.

Senior Pilot
31st Aug 2022, 09:54
The dreaded Some One has been fiddling behind the scenes: it actually was an access restriction on all PPRuNe Social forums.

Changed back, please let me know if it reoccurs so that I can find out what/who/why 🤔👍

Old_Slartibartfast
31st Aug 2022, 11:00
Thanks, always good to know that it's just finger trouble, rather than overt action!

PS: I've been a member here for many years, but similar finger trouble seems to have done something obscure to my original account. I've been assured via a back channel that it's definitely not moderator or admin action, or anything I've done, just one of those glitches that can happen from time to time with any bit of software. Bit like my new-ish car, the software in that behaves like that in some aircraft, and my wife tells me that my response is the same as that oft-heard CVR phrase "Why the hell has it just done that?"

TWT
31st Aug 2022, 11:51
Thankyou Senior Pilot :ok:

Senior Pilot
31st Aug 2022, 12:30
Thanks, always good to know that it's just finger trouble, rather than overt action!

PS: I've been a member here for many years, but similar finger trouble seems to have done something obscure to my original account. I've been assured via a back channel that it's definitely not moderator or admin action, or anything I've done, just one of those glitches that can happen from time to time with any bit of software. Bit like my new-ish car, the software in that behaves like that in some aircraft, and my wife tells me that my response is the same as that oft-heard CVR phrase "Why the hell has it just done that?"
Drop me a PM with your old username details and I’ll see what I can do.

TWT
31st Aug 2022, 20:34
The problem appears to have returned, Jet Blast access is available only if logged-in.

Senior Pilot
31st Aug 2022, 20:39
The problem appears to have returned, Jet Blast access is available only if logged-in.

Yes: Internet Brands have let us know that they require all off-topic forums to be restricted to logged in registered members only. The reason is to stop Google crawler bots from reading it and dinging us: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/googles-helpful-content-update-rolls-out-7-things-to-know/462610/

Sorry but IB failed to advise our Mod group until a couple of hours ago, otherwise we would have let you know sooner. Regardless, it won’t affect your ability to visit JB, etc, as registered members.

TWT
31st Aug 2022, 20:49
Thanks for the background information Senior Pilot, cheers.

farsouth
31st Aug 2022, 21:19
Thanks for moving my original post to a more suitable place Senior Pilot, and thanks for all the work you and your fellow mods do to keep the site running.

Sygyzy
1st Sep 2022, 09:46
Same problem again this morning I'm afraid. Worked in the time approved manner for a few hours yesterday - but today, again, I have to sign in to view (just/only) JB.

Uplinker
1st Sep 2022, 09:56
Ditto, as of 09:55 GMT today Jetblast is locked unless one is signed in.

Maybe Pprune has been hacked?

pilotmike
1st Sep 2022, 09:58
The dreaded Some One has been fiddling behind the scenes: it actually was an access restriction on all PPRuNe Social forums.

Changed back, please let me know if it reoccurs so that I can find out what/who/why 🤔👍
Still doing / requiring it, Thursday 1st September 10:00 UTC, UK.

Saab Dastard
1st Sep 2022, 10:02
Read post #9:

https://www.pprune.org/11288560-post9.html