PDA

View Full Version : MDF on Final question..

Gameface
29th Aug 2022, 23:34
Scenario:

A320 do a go around because another plane was still landin on the runway, VMC conditions, day.

After the go around the A320 is vectored back to land, short vectors, when on final 9.5 miles out to runway, Minimum Deviation Fuel 3290 Kgs is reached.

Capt decide to continue and land, landing with 3220 kgs.

any thougths? Should they had deviated to the alternate instead at 9 miles on final?

or continue the app and land, or continue the approach and if something happened and another go around was made, then during that go around deviate to alternate was right too?

opinions…

wiggy
30th Aug 2022, 07:23
I'm no longer current but FWIW and IMHO...Given the circumstances as described my initial response would be why divert?

All that does is take you from somewhere known, day, VMC, to another airfield where delays etc may be less well known and you get there with less fuel.

treadigraph
30th Aug 2022, 13:18
I'm not a pilot but Wiggy's response is more or less wot I was thinking earlier. Makes sense to me.

wiggy
30th Aug 2022, 15:57
Because we don't know what prompted the OPs question or their background it might have been worth me pointing out that in forming an opinion it might be worth being many jurisdictions legally allow despatch without an alternate, or allow you to dispense with the alternate in flight if certain caveats are met, which usually and in basic terms is landing assured at destination.

If you are in that situation the usual bottom line on fuel is land with no less than 30 minutes in the tanks...

(Exact rules are usually laid out in the airline's operations manual).

I don't know the A320 that well but 3220 kg sounds like more than enough for 30 min, so unless there's something about the scenario we've not been told it all sound fairly unremarkable..

chevvron
30th Aug 2022, 17:11
I'm not a pilot but Wiggy's response is more or less wot I was thinking earlier. Makes sense to me.
I am a pilot but I never heard of an A320 being built with MDF parts:rolleyes:

treadigraph
30th Aug 2022, 19:08
I am a pilot but I never heard of an A320 being built with MDF parts:rolleyes:

As far as I know MFI never built A320s... :}

Dct_Mopas
31st Aug 2022, 18:27
You need to maintain final reserve fuel + alternate fuel at all times during flight.

Unless landing is assured at destination.

In this example landing was most certainly assured with regards to normal factors (weather, technical status, etc). So this was completely the correct decision.

If they’d diverted then on 9 mile final at the alternate airport they’d have significantly less fuel onboard and be in the exact same situation. Landing at the original destination is the safest and most logical option.