PDA

View Full Version : Timetables and Brochures

VickersVicount
29th Aug 2022, 20:33
Don’t suppose any has squirrelled away any of the old Airport Timetables UK or any old Thomson Holidays brochures? Late 80’s - early 90s
Let me know if you do!

ATNotts
30th Aug 2022, 07:11
Don’t suppose any has squirrelled away any of the old Airport Timetables UK or any old Thomson Holidays brochures? Late 80’s - early 90s
Let me know if you do!
Have tried to PM you but your profile isn't set up to accept private messages.

Sotonsean
17th Sep 2022, 03:40
Let me know if you do!

Although it might not be of help regarding old Thomson Holidays brochures or details of charter flights from UK airports but there are two good websites that might you may or may not be aware of. Both sites should at least give you some of the information you are searching for.

index (http://www.departedflights.com)

Airline Timetable Images (http://www.timetableimages.com)

The sites are primarily aimed at North America but they have a good selection of airport and airline timetables and schedule's from past including various UK airportsand airlines.

I used to collect brochures in the 70s and early 80s and I remember having a Thomson Holidays brochure from the late 70s which included flights from Cambridge and Lydd.

rog747
17th Sep 2022, 06:33
Let me know if you do!

In the 1980's Thomsons' flew from up to 22 UK airports including IIRC even Blackpool Belfast and Southend so the Summer flying programmes were huge.
Obs Britannia Airways with 737-200's were the aircraft/airline usually used, but Thomsons did use some foreign airlines such as from Yugoslavia and Spain.
Thomsons did use KT British Airtours Tristars, we shared a MAN-ATH and a MAN-HER FRI night charters with them - always Tech!

Budget Holidays was also a huge charterer of Britannia AW, and a big Thomson competitor, I think they may have been Direct Sell but I cannot remember.
Their brochure was really thick!. They went bust in the early 90's IIRC.

Not much long haul with Thomsons back then apart from BJL.
It was not until the late 1980's/1990's that Thomsons started MCO holidays at first using Virgin 747's (on charter) from LGW, shared with Virgin Holidays, then in the early 90's with BY 757s and new 767ER's.
Mombasa was flown but I cannot recall when that started.

The first BY 767's (flown on short haul) arrived 1984.
The 757's first came along in 1990/91 with examples leased from Air Holland and Icelandair.

Peter47
24th Sep 2022, 06:04
If anyone has a Wardair or Jetsave brochure, particularly from that late 70s I would be very interested. Unfortunately I threw mine out many years again which may be why I now hoard things!

treadigraph
25th Sep 2022, 10:32
I had loads of that kind of thing in the late '70s, used to do the rounds of the airline offices in London a couple of times a year and come home with bags stuffed full of brochures, timetables, postcards and so on... sadly all ditched in my late teens apart from the postcards which I donated to some young lad I had a chat with on the spectators' balcony at Gatters - glad they went to a good home! Saw a 1976 TWA bicentennial timetable at collector's fair a few years ago, can't quite recall now but I think the price was double figures... Not sure modern mothers would be so happy about 12 year olds travelling up to London and wandering around on their own for a few hours - packed sarnies and some squash in one of the parks or squares and a tatty street map with all my targets marked and a carefully planned route...

ATNotts
25th Sep 2022, 11:12
Not sure modern mothers would be so happy about 12 year olds travelling up to London and wandering around on their own for a few hours - packed sarnies and some squash in one of the parks or squares and a tatty street map with all my targets marked and a carefully planned route...

I'm sure they wouldn't!! Mind you, today you would be hard pressed to find airline offices you could walk into and pick up timetables, postcards and the like from. As for getting on your bike and riding a few miles to your local airport at the age of 11 as I used to do to BHX would have 21st century parents going into apoplexy!!

Thank heavens for the internet, FR24 and Mum's taxi these days! Without them aviation as hobby would have died out by now.

LGWAlan
26th Sep 2022, 13:03
I can go back as far as ATUK Summer 1990

GBYAJ
26th Sep 2022, 20:33
I'm sure they wouldn't!! Mind you, today you would be hard pressed to find airline offices you could walk into and pick up timetables, postcards and the like from. As for getting on your bike and riding a few miles to your local airport at the age of 11 as I used to do to BHX would have 21st century parents going into apoplexy!!

Thank heavens for the internet, FR24 and Mum's taxi these days! Without them aviation as hobby would have died out by now.

my friend and I took mum’s taxi and bikes to the local airport one step further in 1989.

aged 14 we asked at the Dan Air ticket desk at NCL how much a day return to LGW was. At £79 it was quite affordable with a few weeks paper round money so a few weeks later off we went to LGW for a day of “spotting” and collecting timetables, baggage labels etc.

Had a great time but agreed 21st century parents, including myself, would never let this happen now! .