PDA

View Full Version : ATPL EASA or ICAO OR FAA

DiogoPilot
29th Aug 2022, 12:44
Hello aviators,

Currently, I have EASA and ICAO PPL(A) with about 100+ hours and I was wondering what would it be the best if these were your options.

ATPL, CPL, ME/IR in Europe and spend about 50K+ ( Euros )
ATPL, CPL, ME/IR in South America and spend about 15k+ ( Euros )
ATPL, CPL, ME/IR in the USA and spend around 40k+ ( Euros )

I have the possibility to do the training on those continents, however, I currently live in Europe (Poland) and have the opportunity to study at LOT Flight Academy with a very high probability of getting a job after I finish with LOT, but would need to get a loan of that price without having to pay any taxes on the loan due to being a student loan OR going to South America ( Brazil ) doing everything for that price including accommodation but yet having to convert my license to EASA but maybe already having a job/ready for the market in a much faster way ( training should take around 4-5 months "a friend finished in 3 months" :) if exams are passed, and not waiting/studying for around 1 year in order to pass my ATPL exams and only then start the CPL etc, which should take 2 years maybe ) OR going to the USA and do pretty much the same as Brazil but more expensive ( perhaps the advantage here is the experience and having an FAA license ).

Note:

I do not have a problem finding a job elsewhere ( I´m pretty open ), however, I wanna be back in Europe for the long run.
I´m not the best in Math so I´m not gonna lie, I´m a little bit concerned about the sheer amount of information in order to pass the EASA exams.
I´m an EU citizen ( 26 yrs ) and also have a South American passport. ( That could help me in finding a job, perhaps )

What would you do? or recommend in my case?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

richpea
21st Sep 2022, 15:48
I'm not an expert, but I went for the EASA license as that one was going to be the most work and hassle to convert from any other ICAO license to... as I understand it going to the US and doing an FAA license means you're pretty much looking at doing your career in the US (which doesn't seem all that bad!) with its more demanding flying hours requirements, or again going through a bit of a pain in the backside to convert it to an EASA license.

Have you looked into doing your EASA license in the US? I believe it's possible... might be worth researching!

DiogoPilot
26th Sep 2022, 16:21
Hi richpea, Thank you for your opinion and idea, I´ve made my decision and I´ll go for the EASA one even though it might take longer and yes, I had a look into doing EASA in the US but the costs are way too high, therefore, not worth the money, at least for me...

Thanks for the help!

richpea
29th Sep 2022, 20:04
Hi richpea, Thank you for your opinion and idea, I´ve made my decision and I´ll go for the EASA one even though it might take longer and yes, I had a look into doing EASA in the US but the costs are way too high, therefore, not worth the money, at least for me...

Thanks for the help!

Just for my 10 cents, you've made the right choice!