PDA

View Full Version : Reduced taxiway NOTAM

Espero
27th Aug 2022, 07:26
Hello everybody, recently during an upgrade assessment,a friend of mine has been asked what he would like to do if, with the A320, you have to go in a destination where there is taxiway with adequate width, but there is a NOTAM with a reduction of taxiway at 30 meters.
According to the examiner he can dispatch the flight, but I have not found references to support this decision.
Does anyone know whrere the references are, please?

PapaEchoIndia
27th Aug 2022, 09:54
Check your company's OM PART A (Most probably under Taxiway Limitations) & ICAO Aerodrome Reference Code

Denti
27th Aug 2022, 16:38
If only the width is limited to 30m i fail to see the problem. If the maximum allowable wing span for that taxiway has been limited then there is a problem.

Keep in mind, an A320 can take off and land on a 30m wide runway if the pilot is narrow runway qualified, therefore it should be easy enough to taxi on 30m wide rumways.

Espero
27th Aug 2022, 16:54
If only the width is limited to 30m i fail to see the problem. If the maximum allowable wing span for that taxiway has been limited then there is a problem.

Keep in mind, an A320 can take off and land on a 30m wide runway if the pilot is narrow runway qualified, therefore it should be easy enough to taxi on 30m wide rumways.

Hello Denti, the limit of 30 meters refers not to the taxiway width but the aircraft wingspan of the aircraft on the taxiway.

Denti
27th Aug 2022, 19:42
Well, in that case the taxiway would be unusable, as long as there is an alternative way to get around that it would still be possible. But if the taxiway has to be used and is limited to a wingspan of 30m i would consider the airfield as being closed. But again, now it depends in specifics like what part of the taxiway is limited during which times, alternative taxi routes and/or ops procedures etc. Planning to use a 34,1m / 35,8m wingspan on a taxiway that is limited to 30m is obviously not a wise choice.

Espero
27th Aug 2022, 21:41
Well, in that case the taxiway would be unusable, as long as there is an alternative way to get around that it would still be possible. But if the taxiway has to be used and is limited to a wingspan of 30m i would consider the airfield as being closed. But again, now it depends in specifics like what part of the taxiway is limited during which times, alternative taxi routes and/or ops procedures etc. Planning to use a 34,1m / 35,8m wingspan on a taxiway that is limited to 30m is obviously not a wise choice.
It seems that the examiner consider the taxiway adequate under the supervision of a Follow Me car during taxi, if the airport accepts, but I have not found a reference anywhere.

sonicbum
28th Aug 2022, 19:53
It seems that the examiner consider the taxiway adequate under the supervision of a Follow Me car during taxi, if the airport accepts, but I have not found a reference anywhere.

ICAO MANUAL OF AERODROME DESIGN - PART 2 TAXIWAYS

(google it and free download available)

Table 1-4. Minimum separation distances between taxiways and between taxiways and objects (dimensions in metres).

The scenario proposed above does not make much sense to me; if a taxiway has WIP its code will be downgraded by NOTAM (i.e. CODE E downgrade to code C). If further WIP then the NOTAM/Chart NOTAMS must direct on the local procedure to be followed, otherwise it is not legal to come up with a homemade solution of calling a wingman when engaging a taxiway that becomes unsuitable for your category of aircraft.

Denti
28th Aug 2022, 21:33

If the taxiway is notamed to a max wing span of 30m it is unusable for an A320F aircraft. No marshaller in his follow me car will change that, he is not responsible, the commander is. If the company wants me to use it anyway i will always ask for a written direct order from either the chief or duty pilot. They will never provide that.

Had that in a previous airline where at one of our hubs the A330s needed a follow me on the main taxiway. One captain thought the marshaller was responsible and discovered that was not the case when exactly following that car slightly off the centerline, which sadly caused his winglet to push the tail of a company A321 around.

RocknRola87
28th Sep 2022, 15:29
Hi ! Both annexe 14 (8th edition) & DOC 9157 part 2 (5th edition) shows tables of minimum taxiway width function of OMGWS Outer main gear wheel span, I fly 737NG with a OMGWS above 6 m which gives us a minimum taxiway width (in straight line) of 15 m. I guess the A 320 has almost the same dimensions as the -800 , flight can be dispatched regarding the NOTAM unless your OM PART A says otherwise.