PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviation Query in Nimrod Flight Simulator Training Record (c.1972)

andrewclark1960
26th Aug 2022, 19:19
Can anyone help me interpret a former Nimrod pilot's log book please? It mentions several Flight Simulator exercises (in 1972) but the third one mentions NDB, ILS and what appears to be GoA or possibly G&A. I'm guessing that NDB and ILS refer to Non-Direction Beacon, and Instrument Landing System respectively but, as someone who has never undertaken any kind of aviation training, I cannot fathom the last one and am hoping that someone on here will be able to help me. Thanks in advance, Andrew.

Yellow Sun
26th Aug 2022, 19:27
Possibly GSU - Group Standardisation Unit

YS

Nil_Drift
26th Aug 2022, 19:39
Could be GCA - Ground Controlled Approach - although I'd expect PAR or SRA instead = Precision Approach Radar which is the more accurate of the two; the Surveillance Radar Approach being a non-precision GCA.

Random Bloke
26th Aug 2022, 19:40
GCA (Ground Controlled Approach)? Either a Precision Approach Radar (PAR) or Surveillance Radar Approach (SRA).

andrewclark1960
26th Aug 2022, 20:07
Thanks guys - that was super quick! Looking at it, I think it's GCA (I'm pretty certain about the G and the A) but I'll ask the family to look at the original - as I have only a scanned copy. Thanks to all though, your help is very much appreciated. Cheers, Andrew

WB627
26th Aug 2022, 22:05
GCA's were referred to as GCA's and practiced by the No 1 AEF Chipmunk pilots at RAF Manston at around that time. I did one with my Dad :). Although there were always one or two holding pilots fresh out of FTS on the flight, the majority were ex WW2 or National Service so modern jargon might not have been PAR, SAR may not have been common parlance. However, I can confirm that the radio call was for a "practice GCA".

At Manston the system seemed to go U/S rather often.

dixi188
27th Aug 2022, 09:27
If it is "GoA", I would think it is a Go-Around, ie. a missed approach.

andrewclark1960
27th Aug 2022, 10:05
Thanks again folks. I don't think it's 'GoA' as the comment appears to apply to the whole (four-hour) exercise. There are also later entries 'ST' and 'CT'. What might these abbreviations stand for please?
Thanks again, Andrew

Biggus
27th Aug 2022, 10:45
Thanks again folks. I don't think it's 'GoA' as the comment appears to apply to the whole (four-hour) exercise. There are also later entries 'ST' and 'CT'. What might these abbreviations stand for please?
Thanks again, Andrew

Regarding ST and CT, the T will stand for training. CT is probably "continuation training", i.e. normal practicing of routine skills. ST probably stands for "staff training" - but don't worry, someone who is more of an expert will be along shortly to confirm/correct my comments.

Yellow Sun
27th Aug 2022, 11:56
ST - Staff Training
CT - Continuation Training
SCT - Staff Continuation Training

All fairly loosely defined and some extent interchangeable.

Your questions need context to get answers, I’ve sent you a PM.

YS

kenparry
27th Aug 2022, 14:47
GxA would not be go-around. In the early 70s the term used for what is now called "going around" was usually "overshooting" - a suitably ambiguous word, hence the later change to "GA"

Yellow Sun
27th Aug 2022, 15:17
Indeed,

GxA would not be go-around. In the early 70s the term used for what is now called "going around" was usually "overshooting" - a suitably ambiguous word, hence the later change to "GA"

Item 10 on Nimrod Sim Convex 2:

"Clean Up and Show Overshoot Drill"

YS

2Planks
27th Aug 2022, 15:18
I cant believe DCS hasnt come up yet! On my few trips on the kipper fleet, sorties seemed to revolve round the consumption of Dairy Cream Sponge...:)

Nil_Drift
27th Aug 2022, 19:56

Always looking for an excuse to share a story ... flying a Chipmunk on EFTS Swinderby I was told by the instructor that he would initiate a Practice Engine Failure and I would have to pick a suitable landing area. His final words to me were "When I'm happy that you could get into your chosen field I will say 'Overshoot'."
The throttle was closed, I selected my field and guided the aircraft towards the chosen landing zone and waited for the command "overshoot". The instructor calmly said "Go around", so I looked ahead and thought "Go around what?" and continued. The words were repeated somewhat hysterically "Go around", immediately followed by "I have control" and we skimmed the hedge and climbed away.
"Why didn't you do as you were told?" he asked. I replied "You said you would tell me to overshoot." Then the classic teaching point was made as much to him and it was to me which highlights the "ambiguity" .... "Go around means overshoot!"
How was I supposed to know? Lesson identified; Lesson learned.

oxenos
28th Aug 2022, 17:59
Take off power, he said. So I did.