PDA

View Full Version : RAF finally settles debt of 5 shillings.

NutLoose
23rd Aug 2022, 12:24
Nice to see, 99 years old and they have finally given her the 5 shilling she was owed.... shame there was no interest paid on it ;)

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/raf-veteran-99-has-world-war-two-debt-repaid-77-years-after-she-was-discharged/355921

WB627
23rd Aug 2022, 19:55
“I was sparking plug cleaner on the Lancaster bombers. The plugs all had to be kept for the same engine until they got damaged, and they were replaced,” she said.

“The engineers used to bring the plugs into us, and we had to strip them down and clean them in petrol, which wasn’t very nice, and then reassemble them.

“The main part was resetting the points – that was essential. We did other engines as well, depending the aircraft that were on the station.

“It is a trivial little thing, but it is so essential.”

Nothing in aircraft maintenance is ever trivial. Thank you for your service Peggy Terry.

NutLoose
23rd Aug 2022, 20:25
When you think, V12 x 2 plugs per pot, that’s 24 x 4 engines giving you 96 plugs per aircraft, she will have been kept busy.

Null Orifice
24th Aug 2022, 14:14
When you think, V12 x 2 plugs per pot, that’s 24 x 4 engines giving you 96 plugs per aircraft, she will have been kept busy.

Nutty,
Had a spell in the plug bay. Unless on a hangar servicing or some other hours/calendar removal it was unlikely to get 96 at a time. More likely, half an engine set, i.e. 12 plugs, was the norm.
But not taking away from the good lady's wartime service to the country, she should have been given a bonus. Setting points is a really mind-blowing job.
My personal bonus was for fettling the spark plugs on various cars belonging to station personnel, including the station commander, all of which earned me a couple of bob during my lunch break :E of course.

Herod
24th Aug 2022, 14:42
Nothing in aircraft maintenance is ever trivial. Thank you for your service Peggy Terry.

Add me to that.