PDA

View Full Version : UK-CAA ATPL to FAA ATP

Hass777
19th Aug 2022, 21:47
I'm relatively new to aviation and this is my first post here.

I've been reading some through threads on the internet regarding this topic, but found it quite confusing and unclear - I'd really appreciate if someone could please help me out by providing a clear explanation.

I have two scenarios and would like to know how one can get a job with the major airlines in America for each.

Scenario 1: I'm flying in the UK with an airline such as Easyjet (A320) and possess a full UK-CAA ATPL (1500 hours+)

Scenario 2: I'm a freshly graduated cadet from flight school in the UK and therefore possess a Frozen UK-CAA ATPL (less than the 1500 hours required to unfreeze the ATPL).

Can someone please explain (for each scenario) the steps (not relating to the immigration aspect, rather the licencing aspect) required in order to get a job with a major american airline. I'm aware there is no direct conversion of a UK ATPL to the FAA counterpart, but I'd appreciate if someone could explain the steps needed to be eligible to fly for an airline in America, including costs involved and how long it will take. If I have over 1500 hours with a UK airline, would it be possible to get a job directly with a US major (after the 'conversion' process)?

Similarly, would my frozen ATPL have any value in the US? I appreciate that I may not be able to get a job with US Major directly since I don't have the required 1500, but would I be able to get a job with a regional airline straightaway? - or would I have to build up my hours as a CFI to get to 1500 hours?

Any other guidance on this topic would be greatly appreciated.