PDA

View Full Version : JAR-ATPL in the States - 2nd call

Sentenza
13th Mar 2001, 05:30
Hi All,

Thanks again for all the answers to my question regarding which schools in the States offer JAA-approved ATPL courses.

Thanks to rolling circle I am now looking more closely at WMU, however, I am still also considering PanAm and IFTA.

WMU offers an integrated ATPL course, while the other two both offer (on their websites) modular courses all the way through to CPL/IR, including ATPL theory.

My question now would be whether there's any significant advantage of taking an integrated course over a modular one. Also, if I go the Florida way, i. e. go for the CPL/IR by way of a modular course, do I then end up with a "frozen" ATPL, or would I have to sort of "finish" my ATPL somewhere else?

Again, any and all answers would be greatly appreciated.

Blue Skies

Mike

TipTop
13th Mar 2001, 14:44
Sentenza,

I think the Integrated ATPL course that WMU/OATS/BAE and such like offer can be the best route to follow, if: You have that kind of money available, you can pack-up and leave for a year. Especially as some people have families and loved one's to think about, it can be hard, I would think the modular route would more often favour this kind of person better. Integrated ATPL is also a very structured and demanding course, which requires full attention and plenty of enthusiasm, especially when it comes time for the exams! I am sure you have all these qualities.

Modular courses are also very demanding and structured, don’t get me wrong and the exams are exactly the same. But as you probably already know, you can do it in modules and can fit in the modules accordingly to your life.

If you are fired up and eager to go and have the available resources, then Integrated is the way. If you prefer the modular route because it better suits you then………..
Either way you can have excellent training and a lot of fun, not one way is better than the other. Bear this in mind, it seems to be of general opinion that you have better chance of getting a job with low hours after a Integrated course than a Modular one? Maybe a good question to ask someone who really does know if that is so?(I’m a poet!)

If you go the ‘Florida Way’ and complete the Modular course, (and remember, that a portion of your Instrument Rating course has to be completed at an approved school in the country of license issue (UK) and be examined by a CAA staff examiner) you have obviously completed your JAR ATPL exams, then you will be issued with a JAR-FCL CPL/IR(A) with FrozenATPL credits.
Multi Crew Co-operation (MCC) is incorporated into the Integrated ATPL course, you will have to do this if Modular. Bear that in mind because that’s about 3000 Quid!

If anyone else reads this and there is any information that is not true, please say something. It’s a complicated game and the rules change, but the CAA will always stay the same!!!
It’s early in the morning, so I will apologize if there is any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors.

All the best to you and I hope I have helped………..

rolling circle
13th Mar 2001, 15:13
No school can take you all the way to an ATPL. For issue of that licence you must have at least 1500 hours flight time, of which at least 500 hours must have been in a multi-crew aeroplane. Whichever route you take, you will end up with a CPL/IR and the ATPL theoretical knowledge exams.

As to the advantages/disadvantages of each route, the following spring immediately to mind but there are doubtless others:

Integrated

Intense, structured training usually means that you can reach the required standard in less hours

Aircraft are often (not always) more plentiful, better maintained and show commonality of instrument and avionics fit.

Instructors are usually (not always) more experienced, better trained and standardised, better paid and more highly motivated towards the needs of the student.

There are no minimum hours required to commence the course

You only need 150 hours of flight time for CPL issue.

The course includes everything you need to get into the right hand seat of a multi-crew aeroplane

It's expensive!

Modular (PPL-ATPL Theory-CPL-MEP-IR-MCC)

You are not committed to a 12-18 month chunk out of your life, you can do the training in easy stages.

You are not committed to one school for all of your training but can mix and match training providers, completing each module at a different school.

Some (the minority) of the training providers are less than scrupulous in their dealings with students - don't commit too much cash 'up front'

You must hold a PPL and have completed 150 hours of flight time before commencing the CPL course.

You need 200 hours of flight time for CPL issue.

You must complete the theoretical knowledge training within 18 months and apply for issue of the CPL and IR within 18 months of passing the last exam (this is guaranteed in the case of integrated training).

It's cheaper!

Note that the ATPL theoretical knowledge exams are necessary in order to add a multi-crew aeroplane type rating to your CPL which, in turn, is necessary if you are to achieve the 500 hours multi-crew time necessary for ATPL issue.

Note also that no US school is currently approved to provide ATPL theoretical knowledge training. They may have an 'agreement' with a school in the UK to provide this training and may pressure you to use that school. You are, however, free to choose any training provider you wish for this module.

The only schools currently approved for ATPL theoretical knowledge training are:

Atlantic Flight Training - Coventry ( Distance Learning only ) (Residential in South Africa); Aviation Training Associates (Residential); Bristol Ground School (Distance-Learning only); Cabair College of Air Training (Residential only); Four Forces Aviation ( Distance Learning only); Glasgow College of Nautical Studies; London Guildhall University (Residential); Oxford Air Training School; Professional Pilot Study Centre; SFT Aviation Limited.

presbycusis
13th Mar 2001, 22:19
What you say is entirely correct Rolling Circle, but your last statement could be misleading. Whilst it's true that no school in the USA is approved to give purely ATPL theoretical knowledge training as a module, remember that any school approved for integrated ATPL training also gives ATPL theoretical knowledge training as part of the integrated package.

BlueLine
13th Mar 2001, 22:36
One small error RC. The Theoretical examinations are valid for the issue of a CPL and IR for 36 months not 18. It has also recently changed from 36 months after passing the first exam to 36 months from passing the last exam.

rolling circle
14th Mar 2001, 14:28
OK Guys, post in haste, repent at leisure. Since the comment on ATPL exams was following on from the list of Modular advantages/disadvantages, I failed to re-iterate that essential word - sorry.

Where the 18 month figure came from I have no idea! BlueLine is quite correct - It's 36 months. I did, at least, get the 'last exam' bit right.

The March list of approved training organisations has now been published and includes Ormond Beach Aviation for the MEP.

little red train
14th Mar 2001, 23:35
RC - 18 months to complete all the Ground Exams... 36 from the end to get an IR.

And If it were my money Id go to WMU, set out right from the start be the best. best gear, head-hunted best instructors... Spin awareness in a Extra 300? OOOh I'm already moist!!