PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon

Thud105
18th Aug 2022, 11:12
I enjoyed 'Typhoon' but two parts baffled me. When taxying out for the type's combat debut, the author suddenly realises the map of the target hasn't been loaded. Would you not check that before starting the engines? Also, when one of the Tornadoes goes tech and the crew taxi back for the spare, wasn't that the perfect moment to taxi back and load the maps? Instead, he sits there at idle for 20 minutes, burning into his reserve fuel. At the very least, why not simply turn the engines off until the spare Tornado appears? NOTE this is not a criticism, there may be perfectly valid answers and I just don't know them. Anyone know? (If its classified just say and I'll delete the thread).

NutLoose
18th Aug 2022, 15:47
I have not seen it..

Probably because they do not have external power available to keep all the systems live if he shuts down.

PPRuNeUser0211
18th Aug 2022, 16:42
I enjoyed 'Typhoon' but two parts baffled me. When taxying out for the type's combat debut, the author suddenly realises the map of the target hasn't been loaded. Would you not check that before starting the engines? Also, when one of the Tornadoes goes tech and the crew taxi back for the spare, wasn't that the perfect moment to taxi back and load the maps? Instead, he sits there at idle for 20 minutes, burning into his reserve fuel. At the very least, why not simply turn the engines off until the spare Tornado appears? NOTE this is not a criticism, there may be perfectly valid answers and I just don't know them. Anyone know? (If its classified just say and I'll delete the thread).
Not read it, but if I was sat in a serviceable jet that was already up and running I definitely wouldn't be shutting it down to restart!

Regarding reloading the maps, typically on an integrated aircraft system you'd be talking considerably more than 20 min to get a new map load onto an aircraft, especially if there wasn't already a brick/transfer device with that data already loaded. Most of the IT involves is late 90's/00's at best and map loads are typically quite large by such standards so it takes time. There's a reason that walk on systems have their place!